Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Group Riding.......No Fun Anymore

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Group Riding.......No Fun Anymore

Old 08-16-18, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sevenmag
I ride solo 100% of the time. The only exception is at an organized/charity type affair. Given that, I know I have some bad habits and like was already mentioned, there are things I don't do that should. Because I'm always alone, It's not a habit to point out pot holes, or make sure I'm not going to swerve in front of anyone going around one. I know my mind is going to drift off at some point and I'll lapse and cause a wreck. When I ride a charity type event, I stay at the back when it starts and slowly pick my way through until things naturally thin out and I can comfortably settle into my own pace. I generally don't even sneak in a bit of drafting when a group passes me. I like those types of events, they give me motivation to keep getting on the bike. Once I pay the fee for the ride I feel obligated to put in the prerequisite miles. Seems silly but it works for me. I don't think I'll ever go looking for a group to ride with.
Nailed it. Thanks, you saved me a lot of typing.
Old 08-16-18, 05:40 PM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts

I ride with Turkeys!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 08-17-18, 12:13 PM

Bikes: No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide, Lynskey R260, Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, CAAD 10, Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts
I ride solo most of the time and all of MY rides leave on time.
Old 08-17-18, 01:09 PM
gtd

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I've tried a few family-style group rides where the "slowest rider sets the pace." After three or four rides the majority start running stop signs en masse, insisting that I follow suit and getting angry when I don't (saved my neck more than once by ignoring them). They refuse to let me ride at my own pace even though I make it clear that I'm self-sustaining, they can drop me and not look back, I don't care. I don't want to draft, I don't want to be drafted, and if talking is in order it'll happen when we can ride side-by-side. I don't want to be lectured about my choice of bike, accessories, or clothing. When I ride alone the only pressure is self-imposed, if there's any at all.
Old 08-20-18, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Speaking as Geezer Boy, I never thought it was fun except when me and my teenage friends were spread out. To do otherwise seemed dangerous. And still does. And in no hurry to get somewhere as fast as we could, except going fast down hills. But not so close as to where we could cause each other to crash. That seemed stupid. As in following other cars six feet behind them on the highways, same thing yes. To get somewhere as fast as we could, that was later and fun and illegal on rocket motorcycles on empty intersates. That's still all true for me today and I enjoy cycling as much as ever, as long as it's not in the city. And fortunately I don't have to live in the city since retired. Life is good.
Old 08-20-18, 02:32 PM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I thought I was a loner but am actually pretty sociable based on many posts this thread. You guys are pretty dour.

Maybe you guys just need to find better groups. I went on a 60th birthday ride for a friend this weekend and it was a blast.

Old 08-20-18, 10:25 PM
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I thought I was a loner but am actually pretty sociable based on many posts this thread. You guys are pretty dour.

Maybe you guys just need to find better groups. I went on a 60th birthday ride for a friend this weekend and it was a blast.
Funny thing, many of my cycling friends are introverts. Some are outrageously extroverted, but most aren't. I'm sorta in between according to various profile tests.

But introverts aren't necessarily loners. We enjoy compatible company.

I do know some cyclists who really are loners and don't enjoy group rides or functions. Very different from most introverts I know.

My favorite visual joke about friendly introverts is a bunch of cycling friends gathering at a restaurant, coffee shop or pub after a ride and everyone is sitting together, looking at their phones.

Sometimes they're actually using the phones as shields. The extroverts glance at their phones once or twice, but mostly chatter animatedly. The introverts hold up their phones but are often looking over the phones at the other folks chattering. It's a sort of shield that enables them to feel protected while also enjoying company as much as they're able to.
Old 08-30-18, 11:37 AM

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
In my glorious past I lead a weekly group ride. At one point it was 2 a week, however I lost interest when I stopped racing and found no need to go hammer myself into the ground. I really, really like riding alone, and almost always do so. I do ride with my daughter whenever possible as she is a great companion to ride with and is a very conversationalist and uninterested in riding her brains out.
This is about where I am with it.
Years ago I rode with a core group of 8-10 experienced riders on frequent training rides, and it was fabulous. That was numerous moves ago, and came to an end in 2001.
Since then, I've primarily done commuting and mountain biking, and have only recently returned to road riding. I'm hesitant to get into any of the local group rides for many of the reasons others have stated, and honestly prefer the solitude of riding on my own.
I did a recent local "sportif" - the short 35 miler, since I'm just getting back on the bike after a 5 year break - I quickly found myself riding solo between clusters of the faster riders, linking up occasionally with groups of 2-3 before moving on. I didn't mind that. However, the group start and first few miles reminded me of why it is best to ride with folks you can trust. So many squirrely riders that one has to be aware of (and avoid).
Old 09-01-18, 01:33 PM

Bikes: Fuji Transonic, Ridley Excalibur, Foundry Overland, Niner EMD

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
I'm only 54 - and on most of my group rides that's about average. Quite a few of my friends are 60+. These are not 'old man' rides, but just the local open groups. Occasionally there's a junior from a development team or something, but not that many.
I like riding with others - competition brings out the best in me & there is also safety in numbers. However, lately I've found that I prefer to be either on the front or rear of a ride, seldom in the middle. Too much squirrely stuff goes on, even with experienced riders. My Sunday ride is the best - just a small group of friends that I've known for years and really trust.
I do find myself solo a lot, too. But that's not always by choice (!)
Old 09-01-18, 10:00 PM

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Going further faster with less effort seems possible in a group since so much effort is saved by drafting-- but then, don't you have to go further and ride longer to get the same workout riding solo?
Old 09-02-18, 01:51 AM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by IronM
I'm only 54 - and on most of my group rides that's about average. Quite a few of my friends are 60+. These are not 'old man' rides, but just the local open groups. Occasionally there's a junior from a development team or something, but not that many.

I like riding with others - competition brings out the best in me & there is also safety in numbers. However, lately I've found that I prefer to be either on the front or rear of a ride, seldom in the middle. Too much squirrely stuff goes on, even with experienced riders. My Sunday ride is the best - just a small group of friends that I've known for years and really trust.

I do find myself solo a lot, too. But that's not always by choice (!)

Originally Posted by McBTC
Going further faster with less effort seems possible in a group since so much effort is saved by drafting-- but then, don't you have to go further and ride longer to get the same workout riding solo?

Solo is very good as can be group riding with a good group. Riders who are not "squirrelly" makes for fun/faster-distances/speeds. Challenging myself to hang on can be invigorating as well as revealing. Getting my heart to beat faster, breathing to increase in frequency and intensity, to affect a heightening of neuron activity helps to temporarily release the bonds of aging that inevitably become apparent upon rising every morning being 68yo.

At 76 miles into my ride yesterday I joined the Saturday LBS group at their 3 mile mark. Immediately I was thrust into the 22/26mph paceline flow with the acceptance of all younger riders as they happily greeting me when they rode by. Only being able to hang on off the rear, somebody has to be the caboose, I did so for 10 miles then went back to my solo status. That short but intense effort supplied the "icing on the cake" for an otherwise lackluster 125 mile morning ride.
Old 09-02-18, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy

Immediately I was thrust into the 22/26mph paceline flow with the acceptance of all younger riders as they happily greeting me when they rode by...

Quite a bit different from my last ride 3 days ago... I was passed by a stick of a girl on rollerblades. When and where I saw her next, by my calculation, she must've peaked as speeds of more than 18 mph over a 3 mile stretch which was slightly downhill overall. I was impressed. I thought it was amazing. Some skaters move it out pretty well--e.g.,

For comparison, the fastest known 400m lap was skated by Pavel Kulizhnikov on 20 November 2015 in Salt Lake City during his 500 meter world record race, with a lap time of 24.31 seconds and an average speed of 59.23 km/h (36.80 mph).

Last edited by McBTC; 09-02-18 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-02-18, 10:21 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC
Further and faster is funner.

Not to mention that for most riders you will dig deeper to hold a wheel and not get dropped than you ever will just riding by yourself.
Old 09-03-18, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by caloso

Further and faster is funner.

Not to mention that for most riders you will dig deeper to hold a wheel and not get dropped than you ever will just riding by yourself.
True, true... the TdF is an example of that but, even there you see guys practically coasting into a headwind, which never happens when your riding solo.
Old 09-03-18, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
I went on a group ride today with a dozen friends and it made me realize how much I miss the longer mountainous rides. For years I have done about 100 group rides per year but recently backed off and started riding mountain bikes on Saturdays, (I still do the shorter 25-30 mile club rides on Sundays).

Anyway I wasn't able to keep up on the climbs, (nothing new), but they waited and it reminded me of some great times I've had with smaller groups of the right people.
I've also had fun with larger groups blasting around the city. I don't think I ever want to go only solo.
Old 09-04-18, 08:51 AM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
I like fried chicken.

Old 09-04-18, 06:41 PM

Bikes: '81 Puch '13 Cafe Noir

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
I like fried chicken.
Sorry, it's "taco Tuesday". Come back Fryday.
Old 09-04-18, 08:11 PM
Me duelen las nalgas

I joined some friends for a casual group ride Sunday, my first group ride since early July. Reminded me how enjoyable it is to ride with experienced cyclists who are riding well within their limits -- safely, predictably, consistently, no half-wheeling, no overlapping or dropping friends. And we know each other so there are no surprises.

One thing I've noticed in larger mixed groups is some folks ride beyond their limits -- faster than they can sustain while in control, darting around, drafting people they don't really know and shouldn't draft closely, etc. There's a big difference between riding fast solo and riding in control in a group even well within one's usual physical limitations.
Old 09-04-18, 11:14 PM
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
I ride with two different groups each week, one day riding with my spouse, and run other days. Tell you, though I am grateful to find the groups I did I miss the days, and nights, of solo riding. Solo is an entirely different experience, more meditational than competitive or social. Odd to read this thread, I was just thinking about adding in a 4th ride day in the week that's purely a solo experience. Short & fast or LSD. Whatever seems right at the time. That's the problem with a group ride, you're not riding your ride....
Old 09-04-18, 11:40 PM
Me duelen las nalgas

Ditto, FF. I enjoy riding with friends but I need some me time. Especially since my outdoor rides have been limited since an injury earlier this year.

However it's a 12 mile ride just to meet up with friends for group rides, so in practice I still get 24 solo miles. And it's a fairly challenging route with some good segments. Alas, a younger cyclist friend who lives nearby has beaten all my best times since he got serious about riding this year. Darned kids.
Old 09-14-18, 09:31 PM

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by slorollin
At 63 with the various orthopedic issues that accompany this advanced state I've decided to no longer participate in ANY group rides. Every fall I've taken in the last few years has been caused by a less experienced rider taking me out with the exception of one dog bite. An injury can linger for months and months. From now on, if I'm going down it will be due to my own ineptitude.
Amen. You nailed it with this.

I have two athletic passions - cycling and alpine skiing. An injury in either cuts short the season I'm in and probably takes out the next season of the one coming up. Not willing to pay that price.

J.

J.
Old 09-14-18, 09:38 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Sounds like a knee-jerk reaction OP. Nevertheless, it is your decision to make.
Old 09-15-18, 04:11 PM

Bikes: '81 Puch '13 Cafe Noir

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Sounds like a knee-jerk reaction OP. Nevertheless, it is your decision to make.
No not the knees. There's not much cartilage remaining in the left and I don't need to start anything new in the right. Nope, no more jerking if I can help it.

Last edited by slorollin; 09-15-18 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-15-18, 08:15 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
My point was, examine the group. Not every group is solely devoted to competition. Find one that's in it for the journey. If that proves unfruitful, make one of your own and invite others to participate. Also, keep it lean: groups tend to be more competitive the larger they get. My guess is you've heard it before, but don't "throw in the towel" just because you come across a bump in the road. Ride safely.