Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

So how do you justify another bike in the stable?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

So how do you justify another bike in the stable?

Old 09-03-18, 04:32 PM

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,764 Times in 1,725 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
I justify by saying there are 7 days in a week and I need one for each day. Or in the case of @jamesdak one for each day of the month.
Hmm...I am a couple short of a month' worth right now. Thankfully there are rest days so all is good.

They are cheaper to "maintain" than the ex was.
Old 09-05-18, 05:32 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I don't have to justify it to anyone else. Wife knows I'll be buying and selling bikes for at least as long as I can ride them and maintain them. She knows I wont do anything we cant afford.

For a long time I added bikes by defining niche roles that each bike would fill. No two bikes were for the same type of ride….

So I guess the justification is 1-Do I want it? 2-Which bike will it replace and do I want it bad enough to part with that bike? 3-Can I afford it?
Hi @BluesDawg,

Nice to see a post by you; haven’t in a while. Your current one summarizes IMO, the thread, and generalizes my situation.

For the past few years I have been entirely satisfied with my carbon fiber road bike, aluminum road bike as a beater that accepts 30C studded tires, and a previous moumtain bike beater, now in storage.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...I'm very happy with my Specialized S-Works for dry weather riding, but my Cannondale Mountain bike was pretty heavy and cumbersomeas a Wet/Winter beater. So I recently bought a Specialized Diverge Elite aluminum bike as a wet weather beater, and it rides nearly as nicely as the S-Works, so I'm very happy with the Diverge.

Now, the Cannondale is reserved completely for miserable studded-tire riding,and now I'm happy about that, and my riding needs are completely met. I liken my three bikes to a Lamborghini, a Lexus, and a Humvee.
This year however has been a bust because this winter I developed a weakness in my neck muscles supporting my head upright (perhaps due to a two month unavoidable layoff) on my previously well-fitted bikes.

I had a subsequent fitting on both, with some handlebar adjustments. I recently got an exercise consultation for neck, shoulder and core muscles, and was given an exercise routine, that takes a big chunk of 50 minutes to perform. Exercise may fix it, but that’s a long-term solution.

All these remedies have barely allow me to ride my minimum 14 mile one-way commute with slight discomfort near the end. By this time of the year I'm doing weekly 50-60 mile rides easily, and even training for a Century. Just yesterday, I rented a hybrid style bike with flat handlebars, and was comfortable on the commute, even with a moderately heavy backpack

So now I’m giving in to the idea of a flat bar bike. I’m in a quandary if I should replace the drop bars on my aluminum beater (with endurance style geometry) with flat bars, see if I can buy this relatively cheap hybrid since it seems to work, or buy a new quality hybrid to my specifications. The Diverge is already set up as a nice all-weather commuter (see photo). I’m going to my trusted LBS on Saturday to make a decision.

My wife and I were together ardent cycle tourists for a long time, so she understands the bike mentality. Furthermore with me as as a relatively Car Free commuter, she has total priority for the single family car, as does our adult son (see PS).

Her only demand is no more than two bikes allowed out of storage in our rather small downtown condo. A new hybrid would displace the aluminum road beater.

PS:
I had previously requested to use the car this Thursday (tomorrow) to run an errand during business hours. Two hours after my post, she called and asked if I really needed it (can do without, with difficulty). .

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 09-05-18 at 07:18 AM. Reason: added PS
Old 09-06-18, 01:29 AM
41 calories/30 min typing

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
More women should be nurtured into typical "male" hobbies and sports in general. I like the posts that suggest getting the wife a new bike, assuming she's into it. I imagine a number of the wives on here knew they were marrying a bike nut.

I'm trying it now, but it's tricky. Female bike fitting, seats, accommodations for pre-existing injuries, it's tough. And I just want her to have a bike she's willing to ride more often. Solo cycling gets kinda lame after a while. Especially if I'm riding and she's driving somewhere.

Maybe we should talk about successful campaigns/techniques for getting women jazzed on cycling. Kind of a sell the stilettos, but a Cinelli kinda theme.

I mean a woman that spins is a woman that wins, am I right?

Firm buns are great at dinner, but the ones that follow the "huns" around all day... and night.

I'm thinking everyone's a winner in this scenario. Married or not, but especially married.

Last edited by Bang0Bang00; 09-06-18 at 01:38 AM.
Old 09-06-18, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well, just an update here. I did broach the subject of a new bike to my wife the other day. Her response was immediate and without hesitation when she said "You should get it. You have been working very hard lately and if a new bike would bring you some pleasure or reward for your work-go for it". She was right about how much I have been working lately. I was right when I asked her to marry me 33 years ago. The new Pivot Mach 4 carbon should be here next week .
Old 09-06-18, 05:04 PM

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, 2016 REI Mazama hybrid, 2023 Tern D7i folding bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Rudebob
Well, just an update here. I did broach the subject of a new bike to my wife the other day. Her response was immediate and without hesitation when she said "You should get it. You have been working very hard lately and if a new bike would bring you some pleasure or reward for your work-go for it". She was right about how much I have been working lately. I was right when I asked her to marry me 33 years ago. The new Pivot Mach 4 carbon should be here next week .
Too bad this forum doesn't have a "like" button, because your post deserves one! My wife of 43 years said the same thing, even though I'm now retired and not working hard. But my new bike does bring me a lot of pleasure...

IMG_20180830_151056784 by Steve Carter, on Flickr
Old 09-06-18, 07:24 PM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,452 Times in 1,823 Posts
OP---you don't mess around when you do +1. https://www.pivotcycles.com/en/bike-...1#feature-link
Old 09-10-18, 10:14 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Hi @BluesDawg,

Nice to see a post by you; haven’t in a while. Your current one summarizes IMO, the thread, and generalizes my situation.

For the past few years I have been entirely satisfied with my carbon fiber road bike, aluminum road bike as a beater that accepts 30C studded tires, and a previous moumtain bike beater, now in storage.
This year however has been a bust because this winter I developed a weakness in my neck muscles supporting my head upright (perhaps due to a two month unavoidable layoff) on my previously well-fitted bikes.

I had a subsequent fitting on both, with some handlebar adjustments. I recently got an exercise consultation for neck, shoulder and core muscles, and was given an exercise routine, that takes a big chunk of 50 minutes to perform. Exercise may fix it, but that’s a long-term solution.

All these remedies have barely allow me to ride my minimum 14 mile one-way commute with slight discomfort near the end. By this time of the year I'm doing weekly 50-60 mile rides easily, and even training for a Century. Just yesterday, I rented a hybrid style bike with flat handlebars, and was comfortable on the commute, even with a moderately heavy backpack

So now I’m giving in to the idea of a flat bar bike. I’m in a quandary if I should replace the drop bars on my aluminum beater (with endurance style geometry) with flat bars, see if I can buy this relatively cheap hybrid since it seems to work, or buy a new quality hybrid to my specifications. The Diverge is already set up as a nice all-weather commuter (see photo). I’m going to my trusted LBS on Saturday to make a decision.
Hi, Jim. In my experience, flat bar bikes have no inherent advantage over drop bar bike regarding bar height. Either has to be set up so that the bars are where you are comfortable. Because of my inflexible neck, much of my decision process in choosing a frame is focused on making sure the stack and reach will allow me to set up the bike comfortably without going too extreme on spacers and stem angle.
Old 09-11-18, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I like the redundancy argument. It makes sense not having to travel long distances with a bike attached to a car. It could be stolen along the way when you stop at a rest stop, damaged by harsh weather, damaged if someone rear-ends you, etc.

Another argument is that unlike other mid life toys, bikes aren't as expensive (think sports cars, latest Leica camera equipment, Patek Philippe watches, etc).

It's a win-win for everyone; you are actually saving money and keeping healthy at the same time! Doesn't she want you to be healthy?? 😁

Last edited by Nikon Fan; 09-11-18 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-12-18, 06:48 AM

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced, Merida Racelight, Specialized Allez, Bianchi Doss 500 MTB

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 23 Posts
I am lucky, I suppose. As my wife never says no. she just doesnt. As long as I am not putting us in debt or spending money that ius needed for priorities....

In fact, she will help me get what I want/need. ,I do same for her, no question.

I have no need to "cover up" or "lie". thankfully....as I am a terrible liar lol.
Old 09-12-18, 11:46 AM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
I'm lucky in that I never have to justify a new bike to my wife, she knows how much I enjoy my bikes. But I do struggle to justify the expense to myself and get round it by adopting a one-in one-out policy for anything above four bikes.
Old 09-12-18, 02:07 PM
Steel80's

Bikes: Breezer Venturi, Breezer Lightning Pro, Schwinn Peloton

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
It's not my wife I have to justify it to, it's myself. I don't have enough time to ride the bikes I already have. So when I do ride, I'm training, not fooling around with a project bike. I miss that, though, and I'd like to get an "art bike" or grail bike. I feel like I should get rid of a bike or 2 first. It's much easier to buy new stuff than get rid of old bikes.
Old 09-12-18, 04:36 PM
41 calories/30 min typing

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gerryattrick
i'm lucky in that i never have to justify... Adopting a one-in one-out policy for anything above four bikes.
Originally Posted by vinfix
it's much easier to buy new stuff than get rid of old bikes.
+1
Old 09-13-18, 04:27 AM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by vinfix
It's not my wife I have to justify it to, it's myself. I don't have enough time to ride the bikes I already have. So when I do ride, I'm training, not fooling around with a project bike. I miss that, though, and I'd like to get an "art bike" or grail bike. I feel like I should get rid of a bike or 2 first. It's much easier to buy new stuff than get rid of old bikes.
I've got rid of quite a lot over the years and it becomes easier. There's only one bike that, in hindsight, I regret selling. It was a racing bike from the 50's, a Rensch, my first ever expensive, 'proper' racing bike, as opposed to mass made bikes just having drop bars like my previous bikes.

As I've got older my priorities have changed and I have realised they are just metal/plastic/rubber items that can be replaced - except my Rensch
Old 09-13-18, 07:28 AM

Bikes: Fuji, Focus,Felt. 20 more letters to go.

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
I've got rid of quite a lot over the years and it becomes easier. There's only one bike that, in hindsight, I regret selling. It was a racing bike from the 50's, a Rensch, my first ever expensive, 'proper' racing bike, as opposed to mass made bikes just having drop bars like my previous bikes.

As I've got older my priorities have changed and I have realised they are just metal/plastic/rubber items that can be replaced - except my Rensch
Yeah. My take on this is that at some point you don't own stuff, it owns you. When that happens it's time to trim the fat. Life gets easier.

Like the two Gerrys above, I don’t have to justify, but I don't have a compulsion to own.
Old 09-13-18, 11:48 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
bored w a cpl bikes, currently planning a radical N-2+1 for a net of N-1
Old 09-13-18, 11:59 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Now that my son is tall enough to fit a 54cm frame, I justify a new bike by giving the old one to him.