Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Am I Becoming a Grumpy Old Man?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-18, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts

The other day I was in the grocery store and someone was talking on their cell phone about personnel issues in their business loud enough for all within 5 feet to hear. I started to comment on what he was saying to my wife and the guy shot me dead with his scowling eyes.

I see it as he put it out there in the public square, the information is public and all are free to use it or talk about it. Am I becoming a grumpy old man or should people shut up and keep their conversation about whatever private?
Old 08-24-18, 07:43 PM

Bikes: Trek FX S 4

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
The other day I was in the grocery store and someone was talking on their cell phone about personnel issues in their business loud enough for all within 5 feet to hear. I started to comment on what he was saying to my wife and the guy shot me dead with his scowling eyes.

I see it as he put it out there in the public square, the information is public and all are free to use it or talk about it. Am I becoming a grumpy old man or should people shut up and keep their conversation about whatever private?
Yes!

But then again, what exactly was he going to do about? Anyway, once you're over 50, you can be as much a flinty, curmudgeonly, grumpy old SOB as you want. It's one of the pleasures of aging.
Old 08-24-18, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Certain things bother us more when we are older. We like things to be safe, comfortable, and predicable, When was the last time you heard of someone in their 20's calling the cops about a loud party?

Loud parties, loud conversations, loud cars and motorcycles, and loud music just don't seem to bother young people as much as they do older people. I'm with you, people shouldn't have loud phone conversations in public. People who drive loud cars and loud motorcycles, and have loud parties should go to jail if they don't cut it out.

If you're angry and inconvenienced, let it be known politely and respectfully. And THEN call the cops (who won't do anything).
Old 08-24-18, 07:51 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
The other day I was in the grocery store and someone was talking on their cell phone about personnel issues in their business loud enough for all within 5 feet to hear.
How incredibly old school ... talking on a cell phone!!
Old 08-24-18, 08:02 PM

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
I would have started making fun of the guy and his conversation. Maybe give him some suggestions too.
Old 08-24-18, 08:37 PM
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4413 Post(s)
Liked 4,524 Times in 3,026 Posts
I blast AC/DC at high decibels so I hear no cell phones at all but yes you are a grumpy old man no need to worry about that.
Old 08-24-18, 08:58 PM
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts

They shouldn't have cell phones in public, let alone use them for anything other than placing a 911 call in the case of a severed artery or something equally life-threatening.

As for the discussion, they should type it on parchment, put it in an envelope, seal it with wax, and affix postage, and send it on its way.
Old 08-24-18, 09:01 PM
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
How incredibly old school ... talking on a cell phone!!
Old 08-24-18, 11:00 PM

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Am I becoming a grumpy old man...
Yes.
...should people shut up and keep their conversation about whatever private?
Yes.

But, don't worry; with the encroachment of tinnitus and hearing loss you will no longer be troubled by other's conversations.

Now excuse me, I have to go yell at a cloud.
Old 08-25-18, 03:24 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
The only thing that goes into the one bottle cage on my bike is a large UE Boom bluetooth speaker that I crank up while I ride
Nobody other than myself hears it for more than about 5 seconds unless they are drafting me uninvited(which I don’t mind)
Keep your public noise sensitivities to yourself I say.
Old 08-25-18, 03:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was on a bus in Nairobi a couple of years back. The guy next to me was arguing loudly on his phone. "No!" he shouted, "It's not W.O.M.B. The spelling is W.O.M.B.A. WOMBA" This went on for a couple of minutes so I finally tapped him on the shoulder and put him straight. "Sorry, your friend is right. The correct spelling is W.O.M.B. Womb."
He turned to me with a look of utter disdain and said, "You don't know what you're talking about man. I bet you've never even HEARD an elephant fart."
Old 08-25-18, 06:27 AM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts

Go to the window and yell: I'M MAD AS HELL AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANY MORE!!!!!
Old 08-25-18, 06:31 AM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,619 Times in 2,123 Posts
Yesterday, I was sitting in a large building atrium and there was only one elderly lady in the vast room. I needed to make a business call so I asked her if she minded and promised to keep it short. The lady looked astounded and shocked that I would ask.

#Agentlemanalwaysasks

Old 08-25-18, 06:59 AM

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Seven Seas
I was on a bus in Nairobi a couple of years back. The guy next to me was arguing loudly on his phone. "No!" he shouted, "It's not W.O.M.B. The spelling is W.O.M.B.A. WOMBA" This went on for a couple of minutes so I finally tapped him on the shoulder and put him straight. "Sorry, your friend is right. The correct spelling is W.O.M.B. Womb."
He turned to me with a look of utter disdain and said, "You don't know what you're talking about man. I bet you've never even HEARD an elephant fart."
And THAT trumps anything I had...I'm out.
Old 08-25-18, 07:05 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
He left out the punchline! I won't ruin the joke, but it involved a garden hose and a jar of Grey Poupon Mustard.
Old 08-25-18, 08:19 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,979 Times in 566 Posts

Old 08-25-18, 08:26 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,979 Times in 566 Posts
In all seriousness ... I ask myself the same thing every day.

I remember listening to old people (anyone 10 years older than I) wax poetic about the way things "were" and how spoiled and clueless we were. And I thought ... yea, right.

Now I see what they are talking about.

Change is always a two sided coin. It's good. And it's bad.

For example, cellphones are great. You can call 911 from anywhere, keep track of your kids, and stay in touch. But then again, there is the texting and driving. The rudeness. The isolation from people focusing on that little screen instead of heeding Yoda's advice to stay in the present where you are.

We take the good, and rue the bad. The young take the good for granted and are clueless about the bad. They simply don't know any better.

Which is why you and I yell at the clouds.

Old 08-25-18, 01:31 PM

Bikes: 2 TiSports and a Ho Ko E Koo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Well part of growing old for me was loosing my hearing. I've lost well over 50% of my hearing. I live in a very quiet world. I can't her people over 10' from me. I have a hearing aid but don't use it very often, they don't help very much. So people can talk on their phones or turn up their stereos as they want as want it doesn't bother me.
Old 08-25-18, 01:37 PM

Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts
Just remember: This will be the "good old days" for someone.
Old 08-25-18, 01:52 PM
dollar-store reject

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
I blast AC/DC at high decibels so I hear no cell phones at all but yes you are a grumpy old man no need to worry about that.
Three Truths:
Lemmy is God
Angus is Jesus
People that yak on cell phone are butt nuggets
Old 08-25-18, 01:53 PM

Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Glad to read that there are other posters besides myself out here who are feeling crankier then normal. Lol these are the good old days for some people. It’s funny when I entered the the working world 40+years ago older co-workers lamented about the “good old days”. My son is about to go into the same field and it’s all I can do not to be commenting on my “ good old days” and tell him of think of anther line of work.
Old 08-25-18, 02:22 PM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I always figured it meant that they're self-absorbed neurotic idiots, and they want to make sure that the world knows about it. So getting mad or saying something would just help them out with that.
Old 08-25-18, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18366 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
It is polite to keep comments about other people quiet, and away from them.

But... I suppose it would be fitting for someone airing their dirty laundry on the cell phone to also get those quiet comments loud enough that they can hear them.
Old 08-25-18, 05:15 PM
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by Seven Seas
He was wrong too. It's WOOMBA, the personal housekeeping assistant.

Old 08-25-18, 05:18 PM
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Trigger Happy TV milked that shtick dry years ago.

Just tell the louder talkers it's still rubbish.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.