Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Lifting my leg to dismount

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Lifting my leg to dismount

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-18, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,290 Times in 1,279 Posts
I mount and dismount the cowboy way! Works for me. I am 64 and definitely don't have the flexibility I once had. Occasionally I get on and off the bike when it is stationary and I lean it over so I don't catch my foot on the seat. Joe
Old 12-06-18, 10:30 AM

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Unless you're willing to go recumbent, or at least semi-recumbent, using 20" wheels won't put you any closer to the pavement. The bottom of your pedal circle still needs to be the same distance above the ground so you don't have pedal strike every time you turn the wheel; and you need the same amount of knee bend at the bottom of the stroke. Some folders/mini-velos have a lower step-over height; but again they don't have a monopoly on that feature.

Stepping over my lowracer, with its 8" seat height, is obviously a non-issue. Getting settled down that low is a multi-step process though.
The BB on my Bike Friday is a LOT lower to the ground than on my 700c bike.
Old 12-06-18, 12:54 PM

Bikes: more than needed, Vintage Road Bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Yep, "cowboy Mount" that's the phrasing I was looking for. Since I am not the tallest fellow in the landscape, that is the way I taught my self and stuck with it. Might be a little awkward on a touring bike with panniers and stuff on a rear rack, but usually very easy since you already gain some inches off the ground. Now, orderly dismounting after a night of partying does not work regardless what option you choose.😁
Old 12-06-18, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I mount and dismount the cowboy way! Works for me. I am 64 and definitely don't have the flexibility I once had. Occasionally I get on and off the bike when it is stationary and I lean it over so I don't catch my foot on the seat. Joe

​​​​​​ I've been on a horse or two in my day, actually roped for a few years. So I can cowboy up when needed ..
​ Just had to try this "cowboy way" this morning after reading about it.
Gave it some thought and put the left peddle at about the 8 o'clock position. Put my left foot on it and gave a little shove with my right leg. Thinkin yea hell yeah.... Went to throw my right leg over the saddle, thinkin to myself, this ain't nothing like a horse , horses aren't suppose to be moving when you throw a leg over My thigh hung up on the saddle about the same time as the front wheel must have hit a small patch of black ice, the front wheel and back also shot out from under me. Bucked off so to speak......
A time or two that I was dumped off the back of my horse I was up high enough that you can kind of look for a place to land. Uh huh not when a bike does it..... You're already too close to the ground....
My left heel snagged something maybe the ground and now I'm kind of falling but my back is facing the same direction my bike was intended to go. No way to catch myself or to even try to roll as I go ker splat, flat onto the ground...
As I lay there looking up at the beautiful blue sky, and wonder what the hell just happened, the German Shepherd we have took notice to me He decides it might be a good idea to clean out my ears. The cold hard ground is really starting to feel pretty good on my new knowledge knots starting to swell on various parts of my body, along with the warm cleansing ole shep was giving me.
Finally I thought I better at least try to get up. Much to my surprise I sat up and didn't feel so bad. Looked over at my steed and it lay there like maybe it was enjoying the day. Unlike any horse that ever threw me , I usually had to chase em down and check out the cinch. Got all the way up and felt good .
And like getting bucked off a horse, you better get right back on or you may never want to again. You have to face that fear, cuz that's the "cowboy way"......
So I stood there holding my bike I mustered up the courage and lifted my leg ever so gingerly over the saddle, cleared it pretty well and got it over without a problem But I just stood there with both feet firmly planted on the ground.. Lifted the left peddle to about 8 o'clock, put my foot on it and gave a little shove with the right foot and away I went...
Ridin a good bike ain't nothing like Ridin a good horse....

It's always a good day to ride.....
Jerry
​​​​​​
Old 12-06-18, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,290 Times in 1,279 Posts
Hilarious!

Originally Posted by 308jerry
​​​​​​ I've been on a horse or two in my day, actually roped for a few years. So I can cowboy up when needed ..
​ Just had to try this "cowboy way" this morning after reading about it.
Gave it some thought and put the left peddle at about the 8 o'clock position. Put my left foot on it and gave a little shove with my right leg. Thinkin yea hell yeah.... Went to throw my right leg over the saddle, thinkin to myself, this ain't nothing like a horse , horses aren't suppose to be moving when you throw a leg over My thigh hung up on the saddle about the same time as the front wheel must have hit a small patch of black ice, the front wheel and back also shot out from under me. Bucked off so to speak......
A time or two that I was dumped off the back of my horse I was up high enough that you can kind of look for a place to land. Uh huh not when a bike does it..... You're already too close to the ground....
My left heel snagged something maybe the ground and now I'm kind of falling but my back is facing the same direction my bike was intended to go. No way to catch myself or to even try to roll as I go ker splat, flat onto the ground...
As I lay there looking up at the beautiful blue sky, and wonder what the hell just happened, the German Shepherd we have took notice to me He decides it might be a good idea to clean out my ears. The cold hard ground is really starting to feel pretty good on my new knowledge knots starting to swell on various parts of my body, along with the warm cleansing ole shep was giving me.
Finally I thought I better at least try to get up. Much to my surprise I sat up and didn't feel so bad. Looked over at my steed and it lay there like maybe it was enjoying the day. Unlike any horse that ever threw me , I usually had to chase em down and check out the cinch. Got all the way up and felt good .
And like getting bucked off a horse, you better get right back on or you may never want to again. You have to face that fear, cuz that's the "cowboy way"......
So I stood there holding my bike I mustered up the courage and lifted my leg ever so gingerly over the saddle, cleared it pretty well and got it over without a problem But I just stood there with both feet firmly planted on the ground.. Lifted the left peddle to about 8 o'clock, put my foot on it and gave a little shove with the right foot and away I went...
Ridin a good bike ain't nothing like Ridin a good horse....

It's always a good day to ride.....
Jerry
​​​​​​
Jerry, I got the visual on that and it is very funny. You made my day! I hope you got a good ride in, Joe
Old 12-06-18, 01:25 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
You can always use the flying cyclocross method.

Old 12-06-18, 02:11 PM

Bikes: lots, new old and in between!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
As easy as riding a bicycle...

https://www.wikihow.com/Mount-a-Bicycle
Old 12-06-18, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by daoswald
If you can go to the gym, squats, lunges, core
I do all that at home.

Originally Posted by jon c.
I'm not sure if I could dismount swinging my leg over the top tube.
I step, not swing.

Originally Posted by wphamilton
You might also try the "cowboy mount", stepping on the pedal and starting the bike forward as you swing your leg over the seat while the bike is in motion.
I think I'm a bit unstable when I do that.

Originally Posted by caloso
If I could do that, I wouldn't have asked the question.

I think I started stepping in when I toured long distances and had a tent and sleeping bag on the top of my rear rack.
Old 12-06-18, 02:33 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Now My favorite bikes are , Functionally, a step through .

Upon receiving this I added , Mudguards wired head and tail lights, Dyno hub in wheel already,
Bars (Trekking) , stem (shorter) Pedals,& saddle, (it shipped with neither)
I put a Lock, (Abus Bordo) pouch, in place if the bottle cage, bottle cage behind seat tube ..

This season I swapped brake calipers.. ( new; TRP Hy Rd )

Old 12-06-18, 02:42 PM
Banned

Diamond Frames , If my hip was not willingly on the bodies teamwork,
I lay the bike on the ground..
step over it, and pick the bike up underneath me, ...

Old 12-06-18, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso

Is he getting on..... or is he coming off?.....LOL

Fifty years ago I could get on that exact same way, Today ? No ...
Old 12-06-18, 05:20 PM

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
I've always stepped over the rear wheel and saddle. Now that I've lost some flex, I need to lay the bike a bit to the side but still mount the same. Toughest for me is mounting my bike on the trainer as I can't lay it over. I use a step stool and step over the top tube, which I hate. Add clipless pedals and mounting/dismounting ts way scarier than real road riding. I've often wondered how many have been injured falling while indoor training. Anybody willing to fess up?
Old 12-06-18, 05:56 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
I see old guys in countries other than the USA riding mixtes/step-thrus.
Old 12-07-18, 08:53 AM

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
didn't read all replies so excuse me if this has been posted

leave yourself a note somewhere visible on your bike to remind you about being careful on the dismount
Old 12-07-18, 02:15 PM
Banned

The flying cyclocross method, As Coached by Simon Burney,
author of several editions of a book on the subject,

Dismount, right foot, inside left, left still on the pedal , step off, start running .

Hopefully, with a minimal loss of momentum ..

yea , maybe at 35, not at 70..

Old 12-07-18, 04:18 PM
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
I read through all the responses and only saw fietsbob slightly refer to this. So I'll say it...I think it's the beginning of what will eventually become a hip replacement for you. I had the same exact problem with mounting. I didn't have any pain (yet) but just a loss of flexibility and had trouble swinging my leg (either leg) over. While looking at x-rays of my lower back, my chiropractor noticed the degeneration in my hip and said "you'll need to have that replaced soon". It was about a year before I began to feel pain, but had steadily lost more flexibility and had to start mounting/dismounting like fietsbob...laying the bike on the ground and then picking up between my legs. I got the hip replaced in March of this year and can again mount my bike like a younger man.

Dan
Old 12-07-18, 10:51 PM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Arthur Peabody
Now that I'm on Medicare, I can go to the gym on the taxpayers' dime.
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
[left]
i get the gym through Kaiser Medicare advantage plus.
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
I'm of Medicare age and am entitled to a gym membership through a program called Silver Sneakers here, but that's part of my supplemental coverage with Blue Cross BLue Shield.
Originally Posted by jppe
[left]Silver Sneakers is a part of my Medicare Supplemental plan through United Healthcare.
Originally Posted by Baldy1953
I have Silver Scripts in a Humana plan that includes certain gym memberships also.
Originally Posted by Arthur Peabody
Medicariats can choose 'Medicare Advantage', also known as Part C.
Contrary to Arthur Peabody's claim, the taxpayers are not paying for his gym membership. He is going to the gym on his insurance company's dime, a benefit for which he is paying a premium to them through a Medicare Advantage Plan.
Old 12-07-18, 10:57 PM

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, 2016 REI Mazama hybrid, 2023 Tern D7i folding bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
...I think it's the beginning of what will eventually become a hip replacement for you.
No, no, tell me it isn't so...
Old 12-07-18, 11:00 PM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
I see old guys in countries other than the USA riding mixtes/step-thrus.
Some smart old guys in the U.S., unconcerned with the rituals of their more hidebound comrades, ride step-thrus when dismount/mounting issues occur with traditional diamond frames.

Old 12-08-18, 09:28 AM
Master of the Universe

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Contrary to Arthur Peabody's claim, the taxpayers are not paying for his gym membership. He is going to the gym on his insurance company's dime, a benefit for which he is paying a premium to them through a Medicare Advantage Plan.
Thank you for pointing this out that Medicare is not free to the users.
Old 12-08-18, 09:42 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
As said, lean the bike and lean into it. As long as you're on a stable ground the opposing leans should make your mount as solid as a rock.
Old 12-10-18, 01:04 PM

Bikes: HP Velotechnik / Trident

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Arthur, having taken mostly Seniors out on Day Trips, getting their leg over the seat is not the only concern for a fall. Since that fall can frequently cause a fractured hip or other serious injury I think you are right to be concerned. For this reason many riders have taken to riding Recumbent Trikes. Since the risk of strain or injury to your body is greatly reduced you can ride further & in greater comfort. Depending on your preferred riding style you can be equipped for city & comfort riding or hunkered down for high speed carving through the twisties. Just a possible alternative to risking a Laugh In dismount.
Old 12-10-18, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jon c.
I can't quite imagine doing it any other way. I'm not sure if I could dismount swinging my leg over the top tube. Seems like it would be much more difficult. I virtually always mount and dismount with the bike moving slightly.
I agree, I swing my leg as you would mounting a horse, I have never seen anybody do it by bringing their foot across the cross bar. I would definitely fall if I did that.
Old 12-10-18, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Originally Posted by Skullo
Thank you for pointing this out that Medicare is not free to the users.
I made my original argument flippantly, but it has 4 serious aspects:
1) I wouldn't pay to join a gym; I exercise at home and in the real world, so being in a program that 'prepays' for it makes the difference;

2) Ideally 'free' gym memberships save money; they will if they avoid greater medical costs;

3) The insurance company makes money or it goes out of business. It gets money from the government. It's not a charity;

4) Medicare hasn't collected enough money to pay for all the medical care recipients are scheduled to receive. Up to now, the average recipient receives 3 times what s/he has paid in.

5) All Medicare Advantage plans, even those without extra premiums, offer Silver Sneakers. Insurers get rebates for performance, how they make it pay.

Originally Posted by KraneXL
As said, lean the bike and lean into it. As long as you're on a stable ground the opposing leans should make your mount as solid as a rock.
I shop, often have significant weight loaded on the rear rack.

Last edited by Arthur Peabody; 12-10-18 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Additional argument
Old 12-10-18, 01:59 PM

Bikes: My Day 6, Big Red.

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Yeah, its why I went with a step through. I caught my foot while trying out new bike at store.Went over backwards-all the time trying to dive under frame so it wouldn't scratch. It got a tiny one. After that I got an infection that spread to right hip joint and well I can't lift it sideways high enough to clear seat that way either. Low rise bikes are the cats meow to me. Keeps me riding past the age of needing a cane to get around walking. Keeping the legs strong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.