Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The older I get the less I care

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

The older I get the less I care

Old 12-24-18, 01:27 PM
  #1  
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker
Thread Starter
 
Hondo Gravel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Hondo,Texas
Posts: 1,822

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1257 Post(s)
Liked 1,116 Times in 717 Posts
The older I get the less I care

Pushing 51 and I have noticed that as time passes by the less I care. Is this normal when being 50+? Iím a newbie so any insight will be helpful.
Hondo Gravel is online now  
Old 12-24-18, 01:57 PM
  #2  
jon c. 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 3,906
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 154 Times in 98 Posts
I care less about things I never cared about all that much in the first place. I think as you get older your assessment of what really matters tends to change. Externally imposed 'norms' begin to carry less weight, but those things which have always personally meant a great deal to you remain important.
jon c. is offline  
Old 12-24-18, 02:35 PM
  #3  
BlazingPedals
Senior Member
 
BlazingPedals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Middle of da Mitten
Posts: 11,523

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 164 Posts
The less you care about what?
BlazingPedals is offline  
Old 12-24-18, 02:36 PM
  #4  
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Who cares?
GuessWhoCycling is offline  
Likes For GuessWhoCycling:
Old 12-24-18, 03:29 PM
  #5  
GadgetGirlIL
Senior Member
 
GadgetGirlIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Lisle, IL
Posts: 347

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Vortex, 2017 All-City Mr. Pink, ~1997 Trek Multitrack 700

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 24 Posts
57 here and, yes, I really don't give a damn about what other people think anymore. I march to the beat of a different drummer. Wish I could have realized earlier on that it is okay to be different instead of trying to always conform to what I thought others expected.
GadgetGirlIL is offline  
Likes For GadgetGirlIL:
Old 12-24-18, 04:16 PM
  #6  
downhillmaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 932
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
Pushing 51 and I have noticed that as time passes by the less I care. Is this normal when being 50+? Iím a newbie so any insight will be helpful.
You are in bad shape if you donít even care enough to clue us in on what you donít care about anymore.
downhillmaster is offline  
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 12-24-18, 04:54 PM
  #7  
bruce19
Senior Member
 
bruce19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
Posts: 7,226

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked 534 Times in 313 Posts
If you really don't care then you might not even care enough to know what you don't care about.
bruce19 is offline  
Old 12-24-18, 07:17 PM
  #8  
Machka 
In Real Life
 
Machka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Down under down under
Posts: 51,891

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3119 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 217 Posts
I care more about the things that matter to me ... and less about the things that don't.
Machka is offline  
Likes For Machka:
Old 12-24-18, 07:18 PM
  #9  
Rowan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 16,752
Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Hondo, you know how close I came to dying this year in a workplace accident.

Yeah, there were a few things in my life that I didn't care about since my mid to late 30s. But after the incident last March, I care a much more about my health, thinking about the safety level of the things I might be thinking of doing, and above all else, thinking positively about the people who saved my life, and/or expressed their care and attention, and are still active in their efforts..

My wife, Machka, fits most of all in that entirely.

There always will be the selfish, self-centred few who exist and make themselves known to me in a negative way, but they oddly have virtually no influence over what I think about staying alive, or my return to a comparatively normal life.

And take it from me... your and other 50+ forum members' postings in Machka's post on me has (a) generated huge respect for others' expressions about my welfare and health, and (b) been hugely valuable to me in giving me reason for surviving (with cycling as the truly fundamental part of my life after Machka).
Rowan is offline  
Likes For Rowan:
Old 12-24-18, 07:25 PM
  #10  
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 12,926

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster View Post

You are in bad shape if you donít even care enough to clue us in on what you donít care about anymore.
I dont care who you are, thatís funny right there.
OldsCOOL is offline  
Old 12-24-18, 08:46 PM
  #11  
Helderberg
Senior Member
 
Helderberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Rolesville NC
Posts: 546

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by GadgetGirlIL View Post
57 here and, yes, I really don't give a damn about what other people think anymore. I march to the beat of a different drummer. Wish I could have realized earlier on that it is okay to be different instead of trying to always conform to what I thought others expected.
This just about sums it up. I just turned 70 this past October and what drivil that used to occupy my mind is now not even an afterthought. The things that have come to matter to me have taken on an new importance as I near the end of my days. I truly wish I had known this when I was younger, you know, when I was lets say, 51??
Seriously,enjoy your life and do what satisfies your spirit. If you are depressed, been there also, then you need to seek a professional as that is a whole different story and nothing to take lightly.
Be safe, Frank.
Helderberg is offline  
Old 12-24-18, 10:10 PM
  #12  
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,377

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3622 Post(s)
Liked 1,151 Times in 763 Posts
If by "don't care" you mean different priorities, that's a normal part of aging.

At 61, having spent much of the past 20 years as a caregiver for three successive older family members until they died, I've watched the effects of aging and, now, am experiencing it firsthand.

I used to joke that old people drove recklessly, carelessly or indifferently because their attitude was "I'm old, dammit, get outta my way. I don't care anymore!" Actually it turned out most of them simply have diminished vision, reflexes, and situational awareness.

But it doesn't affect everyone the same. For example, there's a bit of conventional wisdom tossed around the media and pop culture that claims most people become more "conservative" with age. That hasn't been my experience at all. They do tend to become more intolerant. But that doesn't indicate anything about their views on politics, the economy, religion, etc.

Some of my friends my age and older, including a couple I've known since college, range from extreme right to extreme left. What they share is the same intolerance for opposing views. They aren't interested in conversations or persuasion, only in shoving their opinions at everyone else. On Facebook they just meme at each other, posting a dozen or more times a day, all extremist right or left articles, images, etc.

A few folks are still very tolerant and moderate in views, but they don't express themselves often. In part that's because our acquaintances who hold extreme left or right views tend to regard with mistrust or contempt anyone who has a moderate or balanced perspective. So I tend to avoid conversations or debates with some of my acquaintances because their attitude is usually "My way or the highway. Disagree in the slightest tiny detail and I'll unfriend you."

So in that regard they care. They care about their own perspective and no one else's. They don't care about other people's differing or nuanced perspectives or experiences. They've lost some capacity for empathy. I've watched it happen gradually over the past decade. It's not just due to social media or pop culture or anything else. They've gotten older and, facing imminent mortality, they feel there's no time to waste on anyone or anything who doesn't meet their standards and demands. They care. They just don't care about you.

Retaining a sense of empathy, compassion or a moderate and flexible perspective takes a lot of effort. It's harder to hold onto as we see death around us, experience the effects of aging -- less energy, chronic pain, diminishing physical functions -- and see others committing the same mistakes we made when we were younger.

Caring is a PITA. It means I can't just drag rude and reckless drivers out of their vehicles after they've nearly killed me and beat them like pinatas until the candy spills out. It means we have to show equal regard for deaths of loved ones of friends as we do for births, despite not having the right words to offer in a show of compassion. It's easier to find something to be angry about as a distraction, because it feeds our brain chemical triggers that invigorate us and make us feel alive. We rarely feel more alive than when we're under the sway of righteous indignation.
canklecat is offline  
Likes For canklecat:
Old 12-24-18, 10:39 PM
  #13  
bogydave
Senior Member
 
bogydave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: ALASKA , SoCal
Posts: 914

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts
By the age of 50
most have figured out whatís important
...
the rest of the stuff ...
we donít waste much time thinking or caring about it

at 60, thereís some adjustments made
Retirement refines it some more

Then
Expect subtle changes to continually occur.

?what was the question?
bogydave is offline  
Old 12-24-18, 10:41 PM
  #14  
Planemaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Wichita, KS.
Posts: 858
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
If by "don't care" you mean different priorities, that's a normal part of aging.

At 61, having spent much of the past 20 years as a caregiver for three successive older family members until they died, I've watched the effects of aging and, now, am experiencing it firsthand.

I used to joke that old people drove recklessly, carelessly or indifferently because their attitude was "I'm old, dammit, get outta my way. I don't care anymore!" Actually it turned out most of them simply have diminished vision, reflexes, and situational awareness.

But it doesn't affect everyone the same. For example, there's a bit of conventional wisdom tossed around the media and pop culture that claims most people become more "conservative" with age. That hasn't been my experience at all. They do tend to become more intolerant. But that doesn't indicate anything about their views on politics, the economy, religion, etc.

Some of my friends my age and older, including a couple I've known since college, range from extreme right to extreme left. What they share is the same intolerance for opposing views. They aren't interested in conversations or persuasion, only in shoving their opinions at everyone else. On Facebook they just meme at each other, posting a dozen or more times a day, all extremist right or left articles, images, etc.

A few folks are still very tolerant and moderate in views, but they don't express themselves often. In part that's because our acquaintances who hold extreme left or right views tend to regard with mistrust or contempt anyone who has a moderate or balanced perspective. So I tend to avoid conversations or debates with some of my acquaintances because their attitude is usually "My way or the highway. Disagree in the slightest tiny detail and I'll unfriend you."

So in that regard they care. They care about their own perspective and no one else's. They don't care about other people's differing or nuanced perspectives or experiences. They've lost some capacity for empathy. I've watched it happen gradually over the past decade. It's not just due to social media or pop culture or anything else. They've gotten older and, facing imminent mortality, they feel there's no time to waste on anyone or anything who doesn't meet their standards and demands. They care. They just don't care about you.

Retaining a sense of empathy, compassion or a moderate and flexible perspective takes a lot of effort. It's harder to hold onto as we see death around us, experience the effects of aging -- less energy, chronic pain, diminishing physical functions -- and see others committing the same mistakes we made when we were younger.

Caring is a PITA. It means I can't just drag rude and reckless drivers out of their vehicles after they've nearly killed me and beat them like pinatas until the candy spills out. It means we have to show equal regard for deaths of loved ones of friends as we do for births, despite not having the right words to offer in a show of compassion. It's easier to find something to be angry about as a distraction, because it feeds our brain chemical triggers that invigorate us and make us feel alive. We rarely feel more alive than when we're under the sway of righteous indignation.
Well said
Planemaker is offline  
Old 12-25-18, 12:05 AM
  #15  
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,693
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked 376 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
Hondo, you know how close I came to dying this year in a workplace accident.

Yeah, there were a few things in my life that I didn't care about since my mid to late 30s. But after the incident last March, I care a much more about my health, thinking about the safety level of the things I might be thinking of doing, and above all else, thinking positively about the people who saved my life, and/or expressed their care and attention, and are still active in their efforts..

My wife, Machka, fits most of all in that entirely.

There always will be the selfish, self-centred few who exist and make themselves known to me in a negative way, but they oddly have virtually no influence over what I think about staying alive, or my return to a comparatively normal life.

And take it from me... your and other 50+ forum members' postings in Machka's post on me has (a) generated huge respect for others' expressions about my welfare and health, and (b) been hugely valuable to me in giving me reason for surviving (with cycling as the truly fundamental part of my life after Machka).
I am glad that you made it. I love reading your and Machkaís posts.

Merry Christmas to the two of you, and have a wonderful 2019.
eja_ bottecchia is offline  
Old 12-25-18, 12:10 AM
  #16  
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,693
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked 376 Times in 244 Posts
As I get older (62 now) I am re-arranging my priorities.

Things that were once important, do not matter much.

Things that once seemed unimportant are now taking center stage in my life.

And, I care deeply about these two...they are lying by my feet, keeping me happy as I track Santa’s journey.

Merry Christmas to everyone.



eja_ bottecchia is offline  
Old 12-25-18, 07:29 AM
  #17  
rydabent
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Posts: 8,034

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1653 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
Pushing 51 and I have noticed that as time passes by the less I care. Is this normal when being 50+? Iím a newbie so any insight will be helpful.
Way too young to throw in the towel. Stay engaged, ride your bike, and dont just sit around and rust. It is a quick path to the old dirt bed!!!!!!!!!!!
rydabent is offline  
Old 12-25-18, 07:32 AM
  #18  
rydabent
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Posts: 8,034

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1653 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by GadgetGirlIL View Post
57 here and, yes, I really don't give a damn about what other people think anymore. I march to the beat of a different drummer. Wish I could have realized earlier on that it is okay to be different instead of trying to always conform to what I thought others expected.
You have a great point there. DONT give a damn about what other people think. 90% of them dont think anyway. Do your own thing, and be happy. This is from an 80 year old that has been doing it his way for a long time. And yes I am a happy camper.
rydabent is offline  
Old 12-25-18, 07:42 AM
  #19  
rydabent
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Posts: 8,034

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1653 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 151 Posts
As I stated I am 80, and I am blessed with great health, and can easily pass for 65. I have been retired a little over 10 years now. My life now revolves around family, friends and cycling. My wife and I for instance have breakfast and coffee 5 days a week in the mornings with a dozen or so friends., and every other day I average about 30 miles on the trike. I had a high stress job working on office machines and computers. I was on call 24/7/365. I had to jump into action in less than one hour. All of that is behind me now, and I pretty much do what I want when I want. Life is good, and cycling makes it better!!!!!
rydabent is offline  
Old 12-25-18, 08:41 AM
  #20  
Garfield Cat
Senior Member
 
Garfield Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 6,917

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Priorities is about your final destiny (end goal in life) as Ralph Waldo Emerson once wrote:

"Sow a thought and you reap an action; sow an act and you reap a habit; sow a habit and you reap a character; sow a character and you reap a destiny."

So yes, you "should" care.
Garfield Cat is offline  
Old 12-25-18, 09:20 AM
  #21  
BlazingPedals
Senior Member
 
BlazingPedals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Middle of da Mitten
Posts: 11,523

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 164 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster View Post

You are in bad shape if you donít even care enough to clue us in on what you donít care about anymore.
It's worse than that. If he doesn't care enough to tell us WHAT he doesn't care about, why'd he care enough to tell us he didn't care???
BlazingPedals is offline  
Old 12-25-18, 09:20 AM
  #22  
BobbyG
Senior Member
 
BobbyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 4,928

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1048 Post(s)
Liked 589 Times in 305 Posts
Ride YOUR ride, but be courteous to others on the road.
BobbyG is offline  
Old 12-25-18, 10:00 AM
  #23  
Mountain Mitch
Senior Member
 
Mountain Mitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Back-of-beyond, Kootenays, BC
Posts: 685

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Surly Moonlander, Cramerotti

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 34 Posts
I guess you’re right. Because I don’t care that you don’t care. But then you don’t care....
so why did you post in the first place?
Mountain Mitch is offline  
Old 12-25-18, 11:45 AM
  #24  
dannwilliams
Its only pain
 
dannwilliams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Hammond, WI
Posts: 930

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
Ride YOUR ride, but be courteous to others on the road.

Exactly!!
dannwilliams is offline  
Old 12-25-18, 12:09 PM
  #25  
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject
 
JLDickmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Michigan
Posts: 237

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
The less you care about some stuff, the more you care about those neighbor kids who won't stay off your lawn..
JLDickmon is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.