Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Why? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/116528-why.html)

Digital Gee 06-24-05 12:49 PM

Why?

Why is the last part of the ride always uphill, and against the wind?

scottogo 06-24-05 01:54 PM

You could always take a pill.

stapfam 06-24-05 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee

You are doing the ride the wrong way round.

If you have enjoyed the ride and put a lot of effort into the ride, then those tired legs will murmour at the slightest slope, and that head wind is actually a 10mph tailwind but with you doing 20+ you have a 10mph headwind

Sco++ 06-26-05 09:41 AM

I've noticed this, also. To counteract the effect, I pedal the homeward leg backwards... {;>)}

Digital Gee 06-26-05 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Sco++
I've noticed this, also. To counteract the effect, I pedal the homeward leg backwards... {;>)}

That gave me a chuckle as I get ready to head out for a glorious Sunday ride. Thanks! I'll have to try this...

skydive69 06-26-05 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee

It is an illusion! For us geriatric types, it always feels that we are going uphill against the wind. Until I understood that, I could never figure out why that no matter what direction I rode, I had a head wind.

berts 06-26-05 11:52 AM

embrace it - nothing like going uphill against the wind - it makes the downhill with the wind that much more enjoyable

fujibike 06-26-05 11:57 AM

reverse your route....

JavaMan 06-26-05 01:44 PM

Let's see - you live at the top of a hill, right? The last part of every ride is therefore uphill.

The obvoius solution is to live in a valley, so every ride will end in a nice downhill. ;)

Bud Bent 06-26-05 03:51 PM

It's the same reason my dad's walk to school was 10 miles, in the snow, uphill both ways.

michaelnel 06-26-05 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Bud Bent
It's the same reason my dad's walk to school was 10 miles, in the snow, uphill both ways.

.... and he LIKED it!

KirkeIsWaiting 06-26-05 04:29 PM

welcome a head wind on a 90 degree day

hjbiker43 06-26-05 05:50 PM

What you need to do is find a place where the wind is always at your back pushing you up the hills. And, if you should find this magical bicycling paradise, please let me know....I'm moving there!

John C. Ratliff 06-26-05 06:06 PM

I thought it was always Mr. Murphy at work;) But the uphills do allow you to stand rather than sit (except for me on my recumbant).

John

aj in ma 06-29-05 02:27 PM

Gary,
Sounds like you and I both ride in the same place.................the same place Bud Bent's dad went to school.

aj

jbonus 06-29-05 02:56 PM

I always watch the trees and flags I pass on my way to my route so I know which way the wind is generally blowing and gear up (or down) accordingly as I ride.

jaquelinp 07-17-05 12:09 AM

For me it's even worse....it's uncanny that no matter which direction my ride takes me/us we are almost always into the wind. We now joke on the way out that we can look forward to the wind being at our back on the way back and sure enough....it changes directions just to make us work harder.....What a mystery!!!