Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Enthusiast but not hard core,, Others?

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 03-15-19, 05:41 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
This thread seem to be a re-hash of previous discussions, like:Bike Riding vs Cycling,” e.g,
Like Déjà vu all over again.

Originally Posted by Ogsarg View Post
Serious? Hard Core? It's all relative. If you tell someone that doesn't cycle that you rode 50 miles, they're likely to think you're hard core. If you tell them you rode a hundred, they'll think you're hard core and crazy...........
In my case, I often start my 100+ milers at midnight with iPod playing ----
----- and my friends call me Psycho

Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
Labels don't help and it is all about your perspective.................I wear a helmet, have riding clothes, ride 4 or 5 days each week and am somewhat focused on athletic performance. I've raced gravel, ride fixed-gear on the road and am starting to bikepack.....................Hardcore, Enthusiast. Recreational. Casual. Again, these are all labels and really don't mean anything. There will always be people more or less into any given activity. Call me hardcore if you want. At 55 years old I do what makes me happy.-Tim-
Labels matter to some. I have a 70+yo friend who bicycled 24,000+ miles in one year a couple of years ago. He likes to be considered an endurance cyclist. Numerous times before my surgeries when being checked on by the attending doctors the nurses would mention that "he's an athlete" as the docs looked at my heart rate in the low 40's and then noticing that during the EKG it was 39bpm ONLY because I had to move around to raise it from the 32bpm after they hooked me up. Especially important info for the anesthesiologist when I get put under. Latest surgery was less than a year ago when I was soon to be 68yo.

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 03-15-19 at 05:47 AM.
Old 03-15-19, 10:27 AM
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Enthusiast but not hard core describes me to a T. Im 80, ride my bents 20 to 35 miles every other day. I wear rugby shorts and T-shirts. I seldom think about speed or cadence. I keep up on cycling news, and I am on a couple 3 bike forums. I do all my bike maintenance.
Old 03-15-19, 12:52 PM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Quoted: 6158 Post(s)
I liked bike touring to see things in other countries ... many ways to use a bicycle other than competing..
Old 03-15-19, 02:06 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 2351 Post(s)
I'm not sure I can even call myself an enthusiast lately, since I've only been riding for commuting for about 6 months*. But since I do it every workday, regardless of conditions, most people look at it as "hard-core" or at least dedicated. So can I be hard-core but not enthusiast?

*to clarify I mean, my only riding for 6 months has been commuting. I've been bike-only commuting for about 12 years, but previously doubled my commuting miles on the road.

Last edited by wphamilton; 03-17-19 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-15-19, 10:25 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy View Post
...Labels matter to some. I have a 70+yo friend who bicycled 24,000+ miles in one year a couple of years ago. He likes to be considered an endurance cyclist.

Numerous times before my surgeries when being checked on by the attending doctors the nurses would mention that "he's an athlete" as the docs looked at my heart rate in the low 40's and then noticing that during the EKG it was 39bpm ONLY because I had to move around to raise it from the 32bpm after they hooked me up. ...

Latest surgery was less than a year ago when I was soon to be 68yo.
On a few threads I have posted my own definition of a hardcore cyclist, for example:
What would you guess how far the AVERAGE cyclist rides in a day ?

I think you would have to ask this question individually for the various SUBSETS of cyclists for example as addressed to the various Forums on BF, i.e: Adaptive, Commuting, Recreational, Road/Long Distance, Racing, Touring, Utility.

Some of my personal benchmarks have been 5000 miles per year (never attained), and 10,000 miles per year to be a “hardcore” cyclist. When I toured years ago, including a cross-country ride, 50 miles a day was an average goal….
That figure IMO does not necessarily apply to a cyclist with a family with “dependents” and a full time job.
…I have previously posted to this thread, Why didn’t I ride
My job; either too much to do, so I stay (comfortably) overnight and resume very early in the AM, missing my commute; or have to travel afar for a meeting...and to a lesser extent, family activities…
For the past few years I have referred to myself as a decades-long, year-round lifestyle cyclist to include (formerly) touring, and currently year-round cycle commuting, and road cycling in the nice weather.

BTW when I was at my best about age 60 I monitored my resting heart rate, almost daily, as a sign of fitness at a usual 46-48 bpm.
Old 03-16-19, 07:08 PM
Cougrrcj 
Over forty victim of Fate

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
Interesting to me is that there seems to be the notion of value judgments here. As if being "hardcore" is better than being casual or casual is better than being hardcore. Both notions are nonsense.

I qualify as hardcore on so many levels. I have all the equipment. I ride oodles of miles, including commuting. I do crazy long rides, and have even raced RAW and RAAM. Most of my friends are cyclists (great folks), and I advocate for cycling infrastructures and education.

Objectively, that's hardcore I guess. But it doesn't feel like it. I'm just doing what makes sense at the time.

I ride lots because I live where the traffic SUX and I have a great bike path. I have all the equipment because I've been at it for 30 years or more. I do crazy long rides, cuz they're fun and for me, they are not difficult (probably all the commuting). Ditto the RAW and RAAM ... I was just lucky to get the opportunity.

Does that make my cycling any more important, desirable or relevant to anyone else? Nah. Does it make it any worse? Hell no. We're all doing what we're most comfortable with for whatever reason. It's all good.
Agreed!!! As an over 60 'near-Clyde', and have been riding for over 40+ years, what would you call a guy who still manages to commute 12.5 miles to work (during NE Ohio's summer season) at ~20mph riding speed on a lugged steel 24-30 pound (as-ridden) bike? My coworkers think I'm nuts!

I only wish that I had the time due to home/family constraints to ride more than I do! I'd LOVE to to ride across the country, or even another multi-week tour. I've planned out several of the latter should the opportunity arise!

I have multiple classic mid-grade road bikes, a classic mid-grade touring bike, a classic mid-grade (hardtail) MTB, in addition to a classic three-speed! I have the bases covered!!!

I ride by - and against- myself and my previous best time for a given route measured by wristwatch, not Strava...Am I expecting to ride- or place- in the TdF or RAAM? No. I'm just your average Fred.

I've been a member of Rails-to-Trails since it's inception in 1986 because I believe in the cause, yet I have yet to log mile-one on a rail-trail!
'86 Miyata 710
'90 Schwinn Woodlands
Huffy MTB - for trips to corner store
MTB of questionable lineage aka 'Mutt Trail Bike'
Old 03-16-19, 07:30 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX, 5200 & 7700

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
I look at it this way, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong.