Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How do you stay trim & fit?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 03-17-19, 11:55 AM

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts

I am at a crossroads where I work out, ride, run, hit the gym and watch what I eat but remain a clydesdale. I feel good on the bike ride multiple types of bikes Mt, Track Gravel & road but cannot lose the weight. I tried the starving thing I have tried skipping meals and nothing is working. I think I have food PTSD from my youth where I would bonk a few times per year so now I eat like a tour de france rider prepping for a long Team time trial post and pre ride.
What is working for you.
Old 03-17-19, 12:06 PM

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 343 Posts
We've thrown out all of our large family size cook ware and prepare much smaller meals with no leftovers. We buy ingredients, no pre processed meals. Not going to tell anyone what to eat, but please try to eat a little less over time. A one or two pound per week downward trend in weight over the long term, in my reading, is best for changing life long habits.
Likes For FBOATSB:
Old 03-17-19, 02:05 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I'm mostly in the same boat. I lost 35 lbs in 2017, getting down to 205 lbs. Clearly what works for me is a mostly fresh veggie diet with some protein, but nearly zero carbs, sweets, junk food and alcohol. Also, moderate intensity exercise is better in terms of fat burn than high intensity.
Old 03-17-19, 02:23 PM
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
It is all about limiting caloric intake. My kid lost 20 lbs in 2 or 3 weeks. All it took was having his jaws strapped shut after surgery.
Old 03-17-19, 02:37 PM

Bikes: van moof dropdown, btwin triban 100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
It is all about limiting caloric intake. My kid lost 20 lbs in 2 or 3 weeks. All it took was having his jaws strapped shut after surgery.
genius! brb gonna wire my jaws shut
Old 03-17-19, 02:41 PM
Occam's Rotor

They were rubber-bands, and we still fed him via a tube on a syringe, kind of like how you put sealant in tires through a valve stem.
Old 03-18-19, 02:29 AM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
I I tried the starving thing I have tried skipping meals and nothing is working.
This is the kind of thing teenage girls do.

A much more sensible approach is to track your calories, and eat in a slight deficit. You might consider joining MyFitnessPal (or similar) to help you do that.

I dropped 25 kg (55 lbs) in 2015 using that method.

Also, regular, daily exercise helps.
Old 03-18-19, 04:44 AM

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
This is the kind of thing teenage girls do.

A much more sensible approach is to track your calories, and eat in a slight deficit. You might consider joining MyFitnessPal (or similar) to help you do that.

I dropped 25 kg (55 lbs) in 2015 using that method.

Also, regular, daily exercise helps.
I agree and have begun using MyFitnessPal. It does seem to help just being aware of your food calories, and other nutritional distributions. It has a much better inventory and food look-up than the one other such app I tried. Apparently there are some apps that require you to weigh everything, much too tedious as far as I'm concerned. I've lost ten pounds in the past couple of months, slow and steadily.
Old 03-18-19, 07:53 AM

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 535 Posts
I too get out and ride, hit the gym and occasionally go for a jog. Even though I would consider myself more fit than 90% of the people my age, I really have to stay focused on 2 things. First is my diet. If I keep it under control I can lose weight with the best of them. Keeping it there is another issue. I know how, I just don't adhere to diets for that long. The second and probably most efficient way I find to lose weight is to stay active. I don't mean just hitting the gym and getting out on the bike, I mean spending more time doing other things. If your day is filled with activities you may surprise yourself. In the Spring when I find myself working in the yard for an hour a day or washing my car more frequently than in the winter I usually surprise myself at how much I'm losing weight and keeping it down. I think it's way to easy to convince ourselves that we're being active, but when you sit back and think about how many hours you just spent in front of your computer or TV you'll be shocked at how many of those hours were spent not even moving.
Old 03-18-19, 07:56 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Is he marketing this trend-setting method?

I agree with the caloric stance, that is proven science. Making it work is a whole nuther thing. Me, I do push-aways. Portion control and always leave the table a little hungry.
Old 03-18-19, 08:24 AM
Occam's Rotor

It is interesting that 3 weeks after jaw surgery and removal of the bands, he was able (still) to kick my arse on local climbs and work out at the gym. But I think it is easier to recover lost muscle mass at age 21.
Old 03-18-19, 08:37 AM

Bikes: 2007 Quiring Ti + 2014 Focus Izalco + 2009 Dynamic Synergy + 80's Bottecchia w/105 Crank Set + 2010 Jamis Commuter-4 + 1999 GT Slipstream Hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
KETO diet. It works and you'll find more energy for your workouts.
Old 03-18-19, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,290 Times in 7,228 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
so now I eat like a tour de france rider prepping for a long Team time trial post and pre ride.
What is working for you.
Not doing this^^^.

I have even cut down calorie intake while out on the road doing unsupported tours. I came to the conclusion that I was eating too much during the day. Of course I needed to refuel at the end of the day, but through trial I realized that I did not have to eat as much as I was during the day's ride. Most of it involved cutting out big breakfasts and big lunches. Small snacks to keep up the energy worked fine.

Here is an example. I did the below, with nearly 4,100' of climbing, on some black coffee and some fig bars for breakfast in camp. On the road I consumed 1 package of Perpetuem, an apple and a Cliff Bar. Hard day (the profile doesn't capture the post-descent ups and downs before reaching camp well), but I never felt out of energy even though I didn't have a large breakfast or lunch en route.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/23254899
Old 03-18-19, 10:20 AM

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 407 Posts
Lose It! - calorie counter app. understand your fuel intake and fuel burn. it's hard not to lose a pound a week if you maintain a simple daily deficit of 500 calories. suffer on hills, not at the table.
Old 03-18-19, 10:53 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Eat more fat. (Seriously.)
Old 03-18-19, 11:22 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 819 Posts
It is all about diet exercise, lifestyle. The Standard American Diet plus the Sedentary American Lifestyle (SAD SAL) is a known fat generator and killer.

SAD includes too much refined sugar, too much food from animal sources, and too little fiber.

Carbs are fine, as long as your burn them and consume them with ample amounts of fiber, to slow absorption. Replace the killer whites (sugar and flour) with whole foods; replace the fruit juice with whole fruit. If you do drink orange juice, get the kind with lots of pulp, and don't drink it on an empty stomach.

The monounsaturated fats in olives, avocados, and nuts are good, as well.

I am a rabid fan of active transportation and probably burn 500 calories/day just getting around. I also exercise three times per week at the local YMCA to maintain upper body muscle mass and bone density.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 03-18-19, 12:26 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Also the smaller proportions routine. We've been doing that for a few years. Works like a charm. My wife likes to cook a pot or pan of something. If the recipe says 4 portions, we make 6. We split 3 eggs, 2 toasts for breakfast. Instead of 1 c. oatmeal, we use 3/4. Etc. We didn't change our diet, just ate less of a balanced, plant-based diet. We exercise a lot and consume a lot of carbs, but we cook everything from scratch, just like a TdF chef but a lot, lot less.

We have a couple of riding buddies who've had more trouble doing this than have we. What worked for them is calories in/calories out. They do the work of caloric meal planning and exercise recording. Worked amazingly well for them. To make it more interesting, they took cooling classes, mostly French. Why not eat well, really well? Just less.
Old 03-18-19, 01:14 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
motivation. you gotta find yours. without it, nothing works
Old 03-18-19, 02:32 PM

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 482 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
Lose It! - calorie counter app. understand your fuel intake and fuel burn. it's hard not to lose a pound a week if you maintain a simple daily deficit of 500 calories. suffer on hills, not at the table.
I second this. Great app. It's a bit of a PITA at first to get some of your standardized meals into the app, but after that it's fairly straightforward. It's been proven time and time again that periodic diets don't work. You need to establish a calorie level that will gradually taper your weight and then stick with it forever. It is critical that you track every single calorie that goes in your mouth. After doing this for a while you will gain a good understanding regarding where those useless extra calories are coming from.

This app is also nice because it can account for exercise too. This means that if you rode 50 miles on Sunday it will tell you what you can eat to replace those calories and still stay on track.
Old 03-18-19, 05:43 PM

Bikes: Trek 1000, Trek Pilot 5.2 and Trek 7100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I try not to eat after 4 p.m,
Old 03-19-19, 01:22 AM
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I cut back on junk carbs -- meaning, more than I could burn with exercise, or eating at the wrong time. Less beer, baked sweets, candy. If I do have a beer or eat some junk carbs, I try to time it around bike rides or other exercise.

I dropped from 175 lbs in 2015 to 150 now - I'm within 5 lbs of my optimal weight when I was an amateur boxer 40 years ago. The first 15 lbs came off gradually with moderate diet changes and exercise. I've lost another 10 since last year with more diligent avoidance of junk carbs, and eating more meat and fats to feel satisfied and avoid feeling peckish -- that nagging sense of feeling snacky.

I know there are all sorts of theories for optimizing a diet but rigorous diets are rarely sustainable. I find it easier if I permit myself to indulge occasionally within reasonable limits, including timing to use exercise to burn up excess carbs and sugar. Keto isn't new. I knew folks who tried it back in the 1970s-'80s. They lost weight. But the diet wasn't sustainable.

Stubborn weight gain is pretty much due to junk carbs and sugar, and not exercising at all, ever. Many folks eat a lot more of that stuff than they realize, until they keep track of everything they eat and the ingredients. I have several family members who swear their weight problem is hereditary or glandular or due to slow metabolism. Nope. It's because they eat a lot of sugary junk and never exercise. Then as they feel worse about themselves due to weight gain, they eat more junk for comfort. I sympathize but they're stuck in the same dysfunctional family dynamics and issues as other family members with substance abuse problems, mostly alcoholism. Staying too near a dysfunctional, stressful situation -- including family -- can be self defeating. Sometimes it's essential to break away, find or create another living dynamic, and avoid the triggers that lead to obesity, getting drunk and using drugs.
Old 03-19-19, 01:25 AM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by rdw3261
i try not to eat after 4 p.m,
​​​​​​​lol
Old 03-19-19, 04:18 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I cut back on junk carbs -- meaning, more than I could burn with exercise, or eating at the wrong time. Less beer, baked sweets, candy. If I do have a beer or eat some junk carbs, I try to time it around bike rides or other exercise.

I dropped from 175 lbs in 2015 to 150 now - I'm within 5 lbs of my optimal weight when I was an amateur boxer 40 years ago. The first 15 lbs came off gradually with moderate diet changes and exercise. I've lost another 10 since last year with more diligent avoidance of junk carbs, and eating more meat and fats to feel satisfied and avoid feeling peckish -- that nagging sense of feeling snacky.

I know there are all sorts of theories for optimizing a diet but rigorous diets are rarely sustainable. I find it easier if I permit myself to indulge occasionally within reasonable limits, including timing to use exercise to burn up excess carbs and sugar. Keto isn't new. I knew folks who tried it back in the 1970s-'80s. They lost weight. But the diet wasn't sustainable.

Stubborn weight gain is pretty much due to junk carbs and sugar, and not exercising at all, ever. Many folks eat a lot more of that stuff than they realize, until they keep track of everything they eat and the ingredients. I have several family members who swear their weight problem is hereditary or glandular or due to slow metabolism. Nope. It's because they eat a lot of sugary junk and never exercise. Then as they feel worse about themselves due to weight gain, they eat more junk for comfort. I sympathize but they're stuck in the same dysfunctional family dynamics and issues as other family members with substance abuse problems, mostly alcoholism. Staying too near a dysfunctional, stressful situation -- including family -- can be self defeating. Sometimes it's essential to break away, find or create another living dynamic, and avoid the triggers that lead to obesity, getting drunk and using drugs.
​​​​​​It's taken nearly 30 years to learn what you just explained in 5 minutes.
Old 03-19-19, 06:30 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat

Another great way to eat right and stay healthy is to stop looking for excuses or blaming friends and family for your lack of willpower.
Unfortunately that is not popular these days.
Old 03-19-19, 06:57 AM

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 321 Posts
whoever said to document and keep track of every calorie, I agree with that

do an in-depth analysis of what you are eating, how many calories it is, nutrition etc.

Become an expert on what works for you

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.