Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   My wife isn't happy I brought home a 27 year old Redhead... (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/1169544-my-wife-isnt-happy-i-brought-home-27-year-old-redhead.html)

zjrog 04-11-19 01:57 PM


Originally Posted by frogbiscuit (Post 20879981)
As a former hole snipe, it's barely worth reading....

Carry on, shipmate.

Thank you sir, for your services on board!!! Retired Photog...

OldsCOOL 04-11-19 02:26 PM


Originally Posted by zjrog (Post 20880409)
Aye, there is a a helluva a tease of your fine girl... Dare one ask... To see more?

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6fa936813.jpeg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...875fc96c3.jpeg

zjrog 04-11-19 02:42 PM

Pardon my crass manners as I whistle for such an appealing girl!!!

OldsCOOL 04-11-19 03:29 PM


Originally Posted by zjrog (Post 20880504)
Pardon my crass manners as I whistle for such an appealing girl!!!

Thanks! It’s an ‘86 760 w/Campy drivetrain. Only comes out on nice days but does get rode hard now and then.

eja_ bottecchia 04-11-19 03:49 PM


Originally Posted by MinnMan (Post 20864467)
Nice bike.

FWIW, I don't find those sorts of thread titles to be amusing. They harm the inclusiveness of the group. There's a reason that this subforum is overwhelmingly male.

The word “redhead” is genger neutral. It refers to gingers of either gender.

zjrog 04-11-19 04:04 PM


Originally Posted by OldsCOOL (Post 20880580)

Thanks! It’s an ‘86 760 w/Campy drivetrain. Only comes out on nice days but does get rode hard now and then.

I had decided to get some different wheels for my redhead, but seeing those black on yours, I may rethink that as it had some balck rims already, they are just filthy. I was considering some redtires all the same, and I think that might be the right thing to do as well. I had been trying to decide on grip tape, and think red may be the way to go, as it has black quill and seatpost already..

Yes sir, that is a nice ride indeed.

OldsCOOL 04-11-19 07:32 PM


Originally Posted by zjrog (Post 20880632)
I had decided to get some different wheels for my redhead, but seeing those black on yours, I may rethink that as it had some balck rims already, they are just filthy. I was considering some redtires all the same, and I think that might be the right thing to do as well. I had been trying to decide on grip tape, and think red may be the way to go, as it has black quill and seatpost already..

Yes sir, that is a nice ride indeed.

Be sure to post your progress!

qcpmsame 04-11-19 07:46 PM


Originally Posted by zjrog (Post 20880418)
Thank you sir, for your services on board!!! Retired Photog...

Photo School at NAS Pensacola, by any chance? Lived her for 62 years, known many folks that went through the old school, done many buildings around place, onboard NASP.

BTW, nice thread, great comebacks, and @Aubergine and @wgscott get the "mic drop" and "FTW" on this one.

Semper Fi,
Bill

P.S. S'up Ryp and Ernesto @OldsCOOL and @eja_ bottecchia :thumb:

Rollfast 04-11-19 09:08 PM


Originally Posted by zjrog (Post 20863853)
Yeah, sorry to get your hopes up...
https://i581.photobucket.com/albums/...pshk9sgaal.jpg
1992 Trek 1400. I couldn't pass guys on these 27 years ago. It is a bit rough, but might clean up ok.

Yes, I have a N+1 issue..
It all started with a failed attempt at another Trek...
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ek-1000-a.html
MIssed out on that bike, and then a 1200 popped up. But was too small... Then this 1400 popped up.

Did you buy her a goodie as well? Be fair, share and show you care now :D

zjrog 04-11-19 11:12 PM


Originally Posted by qcpmsame (Post 20880898)
Photo School at NAS Pensacola, by any chance? Lived her for 62 years, known many folks that went through the old school, done many buildings around place, onboard NASP.

BTW, nice thread, great comebacks, and @Aubergine and @wgscott get the "mic drop" and "FTW" on this one.

Semper Fi,
Bill

P.S. S'up Ryp and Ernesto @OldsCOOL and @eja_ bottecchia :thumb:

Good old Bldg 1500. I understand that is now the NAS Pensacola HQ building, and there is one room set as the Photo School Museum of sorts... I was there in Sept through Dec 1981, then again, Jan to May 1989.

zjrog 04-11-19 11:14 PM


Originally Posted by Rollfast (Post 20880998)
Did you buy her a goodie as well? Be fair, share and show you care now :D

She gets plenty of goodies, Proper offset!

zjrog 04-11-19 11:22 PM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6592b31e95.jpg
Cleaned up, taken out a couple times. Stole the wheels off another bike for now. New chain, new cassette, new brake pads. This was used as a winter commuter, and the crankset suffers for it, cosmetically. Crappy weather for now, but hope to ride Saturday, slow with the grand kids...

That yellow bar tape HAS to go... Being a 7 speed , I was surprised the wheels had a 9 speed cassette, but that didn't work well. It stays 7 speed, for now. But it rides nice and is way faster than I am. A compact crankset will be in order before too long.

OldsCOOL 04-12-19 05:35 AM


Originally Posted by zjrog (Post 20881119)
i
Cleaned up, taken out a couple times. Stole the wheels off another bike for now. New chain, new cassette, new brake pads. This was used as a winter commuter, and the crankset suffers for it, cosmetically. Crappy weather for now, but hope to ride Saturday, slow with the grand kids...

That yellow bar tape HAS to go... Being a 7 speed , I was surprised the wheels had a 9 speed cassette, but that didn't work well. It stays 7 speed, for now. But it rides nice and is way faster than I am. A compact crankset will be in order before too long.

Lookin’ good, man. There is something extra cool about the classic Treks. What derailleurs are on this?

OldsCOOL 04-12-19 05:36 AM


Originally Posted by qcpmsame (Post 20880898)
Photo School at NAS Pensacola, by any chance? Lived her for 62 years, known many folks that went through the old school, done many buildings around place, onboard NASP.

BTW, nice thread, great comebacks, and @Aubergine and @wgscott get the "mic drop" and "FTW" on this one.

Semper Fi,
Bill

P.S. S'up Ryp and Ernesto @OldsCOOL and @eja_ bottecchia :thumb:

Bill, so good to see you posting lately! I pray all is well with you!

zjrog 04-12-19 07:36 AM


Originally Posted by OldsCOOL (Post 20881234)

Lookin’ good, man. There is something extra cool about the classic Treks. What derailleurs are on this?

Thanks! Full Shimano 1055 105 group.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...68f4506716.jpg
That chain was ok, just filthy, but no idea how old, didn't even bother to see if it was stretched. The wheels are true, but were also quite dirty, and the rear has had one spoke replaced, 1 silver spoke stands out in black spokes. As you can see, the crank looks ugly. I could tear it down, media blast it, or sand it and paint it I suppose. But as usual, I have a friend offering a deal on a more modern set up, and a definite step up from 105... Been down that rabbit hole...
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...146ec4c272.jpg
My 1986 KHS Fiero... My first "adult" bike. Bought in 89, it survived a lot of parts changes, and then 10 or so years of neglect. Started as just a wheel change, then snowballed. 105 5600 brifters and derrailure, FSA Vero compact crankset, SRAM Apex brake calipers. Wheels were shot, found a pair of Alexrims at the bicycle Collective, which started the whole thing. The fancy wheels on it here, are show off only. That low spoke count looks nice, but not sturdy for my Clydsedale butt. Though the 20 spoke rear wheel is just fine on the trainer. It is as taller than the Trek, but I like the two sizes for different reasons.

qcpmsame 04-12-19 04:59 PM


Originally Posted by zjrog (Post 20881113)
Good old Bldg 1500. I understand that is now the NAS Pensacola HQ building, and there is one room set as the Photo School Museum of sorts... I was there in Sept through Dec 1981, then again, Jan to May 1989.

Indeed, it is now NASP HQ, always thought it looked so typical of the 30s and 40s military architecture around the base. If its been since '89 you were here, its a different world now, Hurricane Ivan seriously changed the area. Most of the facilities along the seawall were wiped out by flooding and tidal surge. A lot of places got torn up, or just flat washed away. Access is highly restricted for Force Protection requirements, no longer an open base as it was for so long. Glad I am retiring and don't have to hassle with security and my ID/passes/decals any more.

Bill

zjrog 04-12-19 07:18 PM


Originally Posted by qcpmsame (Post 20882284)
Indeed, it is now NASP HQ, always thought it looked so typical of the 30s and 40s military architecture around the base. If its been since '89 you were here, its a different world now, Hurricane Ivan seriously changed the area. Most of the facilities along the seawall were wiped out by flooding and tidal surge. A lot of places got torn up, or just flat washed away. Access is highly restricted for Force Protection requirements, no longer an open base as it was for so long. Glad I am retiring and don't have to hassle with security and my ID/passes/decals any more.

Bill

I understand that the base has changed, it was quite a bit different between 81 and 89... Progress can't be avoided. I would LOVE to visit just for the Aircraft Museum!

Edit: When I Whenat Photo School in 89, I stopped in a bike shop and came close to buying a new Rakeigh MTB. But, uncertainty with shipping a new bike to Hawaii after school, I waited. That Raleigh got me back to riding, actually. Still haven't had a Raleigh...

zjrog 04-12-19 08:44 PM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0fe1f3f807.jpg
Got my bar tape in today, and on the bike. It has a fabric base, so doesn't stretch. That and I'm out of practice, so I hope it stays on... I ordered a spacer to use my 7 speed cassette on 8,9,10 hubs. That way I can put these wheels back on my Cannondale R200, and use one of the other set of wheels I have. I had picked up a set of used wheels with 5600 105 hubs, planning to use on my KHS. Buttttttt, I may just use them on the Trek instead. Yeah, I think that might be better for now.

OldsCOOL 04-13-19 10:29 AM

The 105 group components are solid and dependable. I have an ‘87 Miyata 712 with full 105 right down to the hubs which all together lends a very dialed in feel and ride. Also, was surprised to see the KHS Fiero. KHS bikes are underrated in my opinion. I refurbed a KHS mountain bike a few years back. Solid performer!

zjrog 04-13-19 01:27 PM


Originally Posted by OldsCOOL (Post 20883049)
The 105 group components are solid and dependable. I have an ‘87 Miyata 712 with full 105 right down to the hubs which all together lends a very dialed in feel and ride. Also, was surprised to see the KHS Fiero. KHS bikes are underrated in my opinion. I refurbed a KHS mountain bike a few years back. Solid performer!

I stopped at my local bicycle Collective looking for an older 105 crankset like on the Trek. To no avail. I see no good reason to change from the 105 group just for change. It all works still and works well. Unless my friend settles on a price for something quite special.

The KHS was a bare frame at a bike shop, used. I didn't know any better at the time. But it was solid, and what I needed at the time. I later added the fork from a same era Nishiki Prestige that was wrecked. I was on a shoestring, scavenged from bikes left for trash, some parts new here and there... For 5 years, that bike was my prime ride and covered a lot of Oahu, Hawaii. I can't see letting this bike go for any reason.

After thinking last night, the wheels I was going to use on the KHS will be on the Trek for now. And the ones I got originally for the KHS will stay on it...

qcpmsame 04-13-19 03:23 PM


Originally Posted by zjrog (Post 20882427)
I understand that the base has changed, it was quite a bit different between 81 and 89... Progress can't be avoided. I would LOVE to visit just for the Aircraft Museum!

Edit: When I Whenat Photo School in 89, I stopped in a bike shop and came close to buying a new Rakeigh MTB. But, uncertainty with shipping a new bike to Hawaii after school, I waited. That Raleigh got me back to riding, actually. Still haven't had a Raleigh...

Raleigh in '89, must have been Jim and Mary Fortney's shop over on 12th Ave, of one of the short lived places. Now its Truly Spokin' and Pensacola Cyclesport as the two major shops, with a few smaller operations that fill some niches. National Museum of Naval Aviation has grown immensely since you were here, it has now included an education aspect that runs a school simulating life on board a carrier for a week, with students coming in from around the nation. The retired USMC LTGEN that heads the museum, for the Enterprise Foundation, spoke at our church's men's group last October, the foundation is really on top of things and has it well under control/planned out.

If you get the chance to come back, give me a shout and I'll make sure you get the .25 tour, and perhaps we can pedal some miles around the area. Its a much different environment on board now, NATTC came from NAS Millington and all aviation rates train here now, busy place, and the USAF moved all of its UNT here, on board NAS Forrest Sherman Field, too. Corry Station is about to burst with the joint forces training in cyber defense and CT/EW/IT.

Bill

zjrog 04-13-19 07:32 PM


Originally Posted by qcpmsame (Post 20883338)
Raleigh in '89, must have been Jim and Mary Fortney's shop over on 12th Ave, of one of the short lived places. Now its Truly Spokin' and Pensacola Cyclesport as the two major shops, with a few smaller operations that fill some niches. National Museum of Naval Aviation has grown immensely since you were here, it has now included an education aspect that runs a school simulating life on board a carrier for a week, with students coming in from around the nation. The retired USMC LTGEN that heads the museum, for the Enterprise Foundation, spoke at our church's men's group last October, the foundation is really on top of things and has it well under control/planned out.

If you get the chance to come back, give me a shout and I'll make sure you get the .25 tour, and perhaps we can pedal some miles around the area. Its a much different environment on board now, NATTC came from NAS Millington and all aviation rates train here now, busy place, and the USAF moved all of its UNT here, on board NAS Forrest Sherman Field, too. Corry Station is about to burst with the joint forces training in cyber defense and CT/EW/IT.

Bill

Fortney's sounds about right.

I'm not sure when I can make it that way, but sounds like a fun time!

zjrog 04-13-19 07:36 PM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5d607b0253.jpg
Fun ride, just under 8 miles. Yeah, short for you guys! But good for me all the same. And a pic outdoors, not against the garage door... Never mind the filthy old Neon, bought new in 03...

zjrog 04-15-19 08:32 AM

Included a 30 minute trainer session on the Redhead yesterday, and have come to the conclusion, I need, yes NEED, a 50t chainring. Maybe as I get stornger and faster the 53 will return. But for now, it is nearly useless to me. I well remember a time I wondered why I couldn't have a 54t... Not that it helps now, but I see Origin8 sells up to a 56t!!! So, now my simple question for myself is, keep the original crank even in its ugly condition, or swap in a different crankset... A friend has made an obscene offer for a nearly complete group far above my capabilities or needs. Tempting. And I must say, I'm not as smooth in my reach for the downtube shifters as I used to be!!!

ColonelSanders 04-15-19 07:21 PM


Originally Posted by zjrog (Post 20885418)
And I must say, I'm not as smooth in my reach for the downtube shifters as I used to be!!!

You can get an adapter that allows you to run your downtube shifters from your stem.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:40 AM.


Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.