Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Just starting again at 51, love it!

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Just starting again at 51, love it!

Old 08-24-19, 10:29 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3144 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 116 Posts
There is a difference between what you can do, and what is best for you. Your body grows and recovers when its at rest. What opportunity does that have to happen when you're training every day? That was a lesson I learn some time ago and have been better of for it. My suggestion was given with that intentions in mind, but in the end, its your body. Do what you think is best.
Old 08-25-19, 11:26 AM
CyclingBK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
There is a difference between what you can do, and what is best for you. Your body grows and recovers when its at rest. What opportunity does that have to happen when you're training every day? That was a lesson I learn some time ago and have been better of for it. My suggestion was given with that intentions in mind, but in the end, its your body. Do what you think is best.
Your post is much appreciated. Iím not really training as hard/long as you may think I am. Iím just getting some exercise, not going out to ďcrush itĒ every day.

Two things,

First, as far as weight training goes, Iím very familiar with the recovery and diet requirements that enable muscle growth. Iím not training for an hour and hitting 25 sets of heavy/compound moves. Iím just doing around 10 sets over 25-30 minutes. And Iím hitting each muscle group once a week (3 days).

Cycling, Iím still in the early stage so Iím still feeling it out. So far, I have been able to do 3 days a week, increase my time and intensity on the bike each week or so, but Iím very weary of over doing it and am happy to take it slow.

This week, I did a ride on Monday, lifted for back on Tues, Legs on Wed, rested Thurs, did Chest on Friday and have had a couple of good rides and Saturday and this morning.

I agree that the key is to listen to your body and let it tell you when itís time to rest.

Last edited by CyclingBK; 08-25-19 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-25-19, 12:08 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 104 Posts
OP...you are doing great. Congrats. More people should be like you.
Old 08-30-19, 10:14 AM
CyclingBK

Itís been about a month and so I thought Iíd share a couple of observations with the understanding pretty much everyone here is very experienced but just in case someone else new like me find them helpful.

First, tire pressure matters! My tires say 50 min and 85 max. Genius that I am I never really checked it, (although the guys in the bike store who seemed to give it a thorough check said it was fine but I donít think they actually checked ) didnít get a pressure gauge and my pump doesnít have one either. it just felt fine so Iíve been riding for about a month with the pressure that came in the tires. I got it in my head to check it last week bought a pressure gauge and lo and behold both tires were at 40! I pumped them up with the rear tire at 75 and the front tire on 68 and I feel like it made a very noticeable difference in my ride and speed.

Second, another topic Iím sure itís been covered but it has to do with how I was sitting in the seat. About halfway through the ride last week, I noticed a numbness in ,how shall we put this, a certain area and it totally freaked me out! I was sitting too far forward so I now sit back and high in the seat so the pressure is on my sit points and the problem seems to be solved.

Otherwise the experience has been amazing, Iím enjoying the big strides you make when you just get started and itís very encouraging!

Last edited by CyclingBK; 08-30-19 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-30-19, 07:20 PM
rudypyatt

Bikes: Windsor TimeLine; Linus Gaston 3; Sears Free Spirit

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go get Ďem! I just started back to riding over the past month. I know that hill in Prospect Park very well from when I was an avid rider a few years ago. Of course it isnít the Ozarks or the Sierras, but itís a deceptively difficult climb. I have not taken it on again, yet; but being that this is a three day weekend, I figure I need to take a crack at it by Monday.

Ride safe, and keep riding!
Old 08-31-19, 09:59 AM
CyclingBK

Originally Posted by rudypyatt View Post
Go get Ďem! I just started back to riding over the past month. I know that hill in Prospect Park very well from when I was an avid rider a few years ago. Of course it isnít the Ozarks or the Sierras, but itís a deceptively difficult climb. I have not taken it on again, yet; but being that this is a three day weekend, I figure I need to take a crack at it by Monday.

Ride safe, and keep riding!
Nice, congrats, and thanks. Actually just got back from the park. Iím going to take a day off the bike but be back out there Monday myself.

Im up to 3 laps and can now take the hill in the *3rd easiest gear and at least Iím not getting passed by joggers anymore, lol.

So, hit my first goal of getting to 10 miles and keeping a pretty sustained effort through the ride. Then I try to really push on the last half of that last lap. I got to earn that big sandwich I like to eat after my ride, right? ; )

Last edited by CyclingBK; 08-31-19 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-08-19, 10:41 PM
CyclingBK

Follow up post on getting situated properly on the bike.

I bought the right bike size for my height and adjusted the seat according to the recommendations I have seen. As Iíve been riding more and harder, I was getting some discomfort in the saddle and was trying to sit back farther to try to make the best sit point contact and avoid discomfort. Then, after a great ride, the next day I noticed my lower hamstrings were sore. I think sitting back in the saddle was making my legs extend too much.

So, I moved the seat forward an inch and it made a good difference, feels much better. Also, I donít feel like Iím reaching to much on the bars. I had felt like I was having to reach just a hair much and now Iím in a really good position.

I am still in the early love affair stage with riding and itís really great ; )
Old 09-28-19, 09:36 AM
CyclingBK

Newest developments,

First, totally hooked, watching cycling vids on YouTube ; )
Have raised the seat another inch, thought my knee was a tad too bent at bottom of pedal stroke, seems better.
Rode for the first time at night. There are no cars on the loop I ride, was cool, was surprised some people with no lights going pretty fast. But nearly all had lights.
And, very happy I rode 13.5 miles with an average speed of 14.8 miles per hour.
Now, I gonna eat big! Lol

Last edited by CyclingBK; 09-28-19 at 10:04 AM.