Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Article on Strength Training

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 12-29-19, 02:55 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 372 Posts

A decent article in Road Bike Rider on strength training for us wise and mature cyclists.

https://www.roadbikerider.com/ask-th...older-roadies/
Old 12-30-19, 05:07 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 142 Posts
Thanks for the link. I may have to try some of those exercises.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 12-30-19, 06:21 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 297 Posts
These days there is hardly any doubt that some level of strength training is beneficial and the older we are, the greater the benefit. As we age, there is a decline in many areas such as strength or mobility and even motivation. Strength training minimizes those negative effects. The trick then, it seems to me is to devise tactics that provide motivation which could be going to a gym for the exercise and social aspects or something else. For me, it has become a matter of habit to do some exercise every morning consisting of stretching and for strength. But each individual has to find their own motivation.
Old 12-30-19, 08:11 AM
CyclingBK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 52 Posts
Great article, thanks.

The exercises look like they target the quads and core, which is excellent, but I think one could add some that specifically target the hamstrings and glutes and lower back.

I love Romanian deadlifts. I think many think deadlifts are dangerous for your back but provided there are no underlying issues, I think some light sets with perfect form are safe and have great benefits for the “posterior chain”

Romanian deadlifts are cool because you use light weight and only bend until the weight is just below the knees (you don’t go down to the floor)

Here is a good vid on form. Notice the weight is light, you just slide your rear end back, knees slightly bent, keep the weight against your legs, and just go a little below the knees.

Likes For CyclingBK:
Old 12-30-19, 04:32 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 848 Times in 451 Posts
What I have learned in the past 8 weeks at the gym is that form is everything. Period. It is critical to reap the benefits from any lift using bar bell or dumbbells. Struggle with dead lifts. Not easy to master and must be correct to avoid injury. Today I did five in a row that were correct. The other 25 were off the mark. Yes, I am a slow learner.