Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone feel stronger now that you are 50+ ?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-05, 01:59 PM

Bikes: 2013 KHS Flite 747

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been riding since I was 32, and have never felt stronger or faster on my bike than I do now.

I also put in a lot more miles now than I did when I was younger, because I have more endurance.

Anyone else feel the same way? Are you faster, stronger, or have more endurance at 50+ ?
Old 06-15-05, 05:05 PM

Bikes: Trek 7000 and a Trek 1200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nope, nope and nope.
Old 06-15-05, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I turned the corner about two years ago. I was definitely stronger and faster at 40 than in my early 30s (because I trained a lot harder), and held my own through my mid-50s. I turned 60 in January, though, and I've definitely slowed down. I sort of feel like I COULD still do what I used to--the distance, anyway, if a few mph slower--but it's so much harder now that I have a hard time making myself do it. I'm not about to stop riding or doing anything else I enjoy, but sometimes I'm content to cruise along at 14mph rather than busting my butt.
Old 06-15-05, 05:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My endurance is way higher now than 15 or 20 years ago - at the expense of some speed. I can plug along on either my road or mountain bike for a long ways. The part of me that gives out first on a long ride is my rear end. I get these little sore spots in the crease where the back of my leg hooks onto my butt. They can hurt pretty much...
Old 06-18-05, 05:46 PM
FloridaFlats

Bikes: Scapin (2), Mondonico, Eddy Merckx, Pinarello

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well guys...at 54, I'm called the "dinosaur dad" with a 3 year old and a 10 year old. This takes away my shots for much distance beyond 40 miles. I NEVER however, ride less than 25 - 30...with pace...and I ride six days/week.

I think...no, I know, that I am riding as strong, if not stronger than I did in my late 30's (when I started riding) and into my early 40's before I laid off (actually, I stopped in '95 upon the birth of my first child).

The only difference is that, since I don't have the time to roll up the base miles I'd like to, I get more juice out of the rides I have time for.

I definitely do not feel any deterioration. If anything, when I have to lay off for more than my one day per week (when I'm travelling, which is not a regular thing but it does happen) I find those old aches and pains creeping in.

Bottom line? Regular riding makes me feel like I am in my 30's again.
Old 06-18-05, 09:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I am 54 as of this month and six weeks ago I started riding again after many years, I never really rode like the people in this forum but decided to start as part of my excercise diet program. I did lose 30 pounds and I now ride 15-20 miles everyday. So I actually feel stronger now than any time I can remember.
Old 06-18-05, 11:21 PM
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I do feel stronger than when I turned 50--just six weeks ago.

I have been riding long and fast (for me) on country roads, and I am at a point where I actually feel improvement almost every day.
Old 06-19-05, 12:20 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glassman
Well, I am 54 as of this month and six weeks ago I started riding again after many years, I never really rode like the people in this forum but decided to start as part of my excercise diet program. I did lose 30 pounds and I now ride 15-20 miles everyday. So I actually feel stronger now than any time I can remember.
You lost 30 pounds in six weeks? Wow! I'm 54 as well, just started biking ten days ago, and would LOVE to lose 30 pounds even if it takes three months or more. So far, I'm just riding 7-10 miles per day but hope to improve on that as I get used to it. Anyway, congratulations!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 06-19-05, 01:07 AM
Proud To Be An American

Bikes: 2004 Giant Cypress SX 2006 Giant OCR 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just turned 50 this year, and I am just happy to be alive.
Old 06-19-05, 02:10 AM
Roadie

Bikes: kestrel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
more power to you
with me-endurance seems steady but the power (force) has taken a beating.
Old 06-19-05, 06:11 AM

Bikes: Schwinn Rocket 88, Schwinn Fastback, Cannondale Road Tandem, GT Timberline rigid steel mtb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Once in awhile but then my memory comes back.
Old 06-19-05, 07:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
You lost 30 pounds in six weeks? Wow! I'm 54 as well, just started biking ten days ago, and would LOVE to lose 30 pounds even if it takes three months or more. So far, I'm just riding 7-10 miles per day but hope to improve on that as I get used to it. Anyway, congratulations!
Gary, I was up to 201 and now I weigh 169 and I am 5'8". I was a tight 39 pants and now I am 33. It was not really hard for me to lose the weight. My secret weapon was the Garmin 201 watch I bought. I have a job where I can walk while I wait for customers and since the watch measured it, I started walking 3 to 5 miles a day and watched what I ate. I was riding a walmart mtb until it broke and now I have a Lemond Tourmalet, I started riding the bike because my knees were hurting walking so much, but Glucosime has helped and now I still walk about 3 miles a day plus riding at least 10-15 miles a day. I feel like riding a bike with proper diet and excercise is sort of like a fountain of youth....I feel great now.
Old 06-23-05, 10:49 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JavaMan
Are you faster, stronger, or have more endurance at 50+ ?
My last "treadmill stress test" at age 53 showed a marked increase in fitness from the previous test at age 48, 5 years previous. And that was from daily recreational walking. I bought a bike in April, joined a bike touring club and have been pushing myself more than I ever have. At age 56 I can't wait for my next stress test at the end of the summer!

I may not be a 20 something anymore but I welcome the challenge of seeing just how good I can get!
Old 06-23-05, 11:39 AM

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stronger, NO, but in better shape, YES!!
Old 06-23-05, 01:32 PM

Bikes: 2013 KHS Flite 747

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad to see so many of us in better shape than before! Any more?

glassman and TrailRider:
I don't walk much myself, but daily walking seems to be an underrated and powerful way to get into better shape. What could be easier than walking?

Seems like walking frequently leads to cycling - why is that, I wonder? Is it the "Need for Speed"?
Old 06-23-05, 01:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ha

Haha

Hahaahaaahaaaahaaaaa

Err, sorry.
Old 06-23-05, 01:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JavaMan
Glad to see so many of us in better shape than before! Any more?

glassman and TrailRider:
I don't walk much myself, but daily walking seems to be an underrated and powerful way to get into better shape. What could be easier than walking?

Seems like walking frequently leads to cycling - why is that, I wonder? Is it the "Need for Speed"?
You do have a point, I bought the Garmin 201 to measure miles I was walking, I did get up to 5-7 miles a day then started cycling. Mainly becausse my knees were hurting a little, I started taking Glocosime and cycling and now do a couple of miles a day walking with no pain. Walking is definately good for me but I rack up more miles on my watch cycling...
Old 06-23-05, 02:06 PM

Bikes: bridgestone 400, 500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I turned 50 this year been riding recreationally for a few years , def in better shape now then say 39 when I was a lot heavier , no exercise, tired all the time, now I'm type 2 diabetic, but I watch what I eat a little closer and exercise and even though I still have borderline high blood pressure, I feel a lot better and can keep up with guys half my age on long rides.
Old 06-23-05, 02:15 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Definitely in better shape at 58 than I was at 50 even. Only one reason for that and that is I enjoy my cycling. Even that has changed over the years because the endurance type of riding has come in, and that does take fitness. Those Sunday rides are augmented with gym work now, as I am finding it harder to retain my fitness with just a gentle 30 miler on Sundays.
Old 06-23-05, 05:42 PM
Senior Moment

Bikes: Litespeed Blueridge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not having ridden before the age of 45, I know I'm getting stronger. I can now beat other ladies up the hills and some guys too. I keep working to make myself stronger and can really see an improvement, especially when I couldn't make a hill before and now I can--big ego trip for me I'm now 53 and hope I can go until I die on my bike.
Old 06-23-05, 06:26 PM
aka old dog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no
Old 06-23-05, 06:28 PM
aka old dog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EXCALIBUR
I just turned 50 this year, and I am just happy to be alive.
Yup , every day above ground is a good one !
Old 06-23-05, 06:37 PM

Bikes: Gary Fisher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 52. Seriously, commuting every day has turned my health around. I haven't been in this good shape since my early 20s.
Old 06-23-05, 07:36 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish I could feel the same way. I think it has something to do with keeping up lifetime sports, like cycling, which we begin in our youth. In my case I was a couch potato (except for, and perhaps because of, my army service) until my late 30s. Then I started running, backpacking, and cycling. For a lot of reasons, including a serious climbing accident, I let go of all three sports and got out of shape in my late 40s and 50s. Now in my mid 60s I've taken up backpacking and cycling again. I love both activities, but conditioning is coming VERY slowly!! (See my relevant thread "Those Damned Hills").
Old 06-23-05, 08:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like to ride in the evening, 7:15 til 8:15 or close enough, I always eat a little something before I ride and as I sit there, I sometimes think about just skipping the ride and doing some work I need to do but then I get up and go and I feel great when I get back and wonder what was I thinking about when I thought I might skip the ride, work comes 2nd to my cycling....LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.