Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Strange, New Inner Thigh/Groin Injury

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 05-29-20, 12:47 PM
jc907

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Howdy y'all,

I've just finished rebuilding a MTB frame I had laying around for several years about 2 weeks ago and started riding again after a very long time off. I'm also what seems to be considered here a "Clydesdale" at 260 lbs.

I averaged 11 km/ day (all road) for several days and managed a glorious (for me anyway - it's been a while) 30 km ride last Sunday. I followed the 30 km ride with another 11 km ride the next day followed by an 8 km ride the day after that. I felt a bit of saddle soreness and decided to take a day off. Feeling fine, I did another 11.5 km ride. However, during that ride, I couldn't help but feel that my saddle was too low and that I was constantly having to shift myself backwards on the saddle every so often. I also felt I wasn't as efficient as I could be. So, I raised the saddle by about an 1.5 inches and moved it forward so that it now sits with the seat post almost exactly in the middle. I felt the adjustments did give me a bit more power. So far, so good: I felt no saddle issues or pains or anything else. In fact, I was feeling really darned good. The next day - yesterday - I did another 11.5 km on a slightly bit more hilly route and found myself struggling through most of it. At first, I attributed it to the heat of the day (I usually take my rides in the cooler mornings), but then began to feel real pain and discomfort in the "sit bone" areas and actually had to stop, rest and stretch for a few minutes before completing the last 2 km back home. When I got home, getting off the saddle and walking was difficult. From there on it just got worse: the pain in my "sit bone" area (gluteous maximus) increased. I tried stretching which helped a bit, but when I tried to squat, I found it all but impossible. My butt muscles were screaming! Then the pain moved to my left inner thigh/groin as the night went on and lasted throughout the night until I awoke this morning. Now the pain is almost exclusively in my left inner thigh/groin area and I'm just taking it easy. The pain is ever-so-slooowly decreasing.

Could the raising of my saddle be responsible? And why is it only the left inner thigh/groin muscle is affected. I still have a bend in the knee when fully extending the stroke and it seems I can still draw a straight line through my knee and the ball of the front foot when the crankshaft is parallel to the ground.

I've also had several cervical and lumber spinal surgeries, but I have no back pain associated with that when I ride, so I believe my upper torso positioning is fine. As sensitive as my back is, I would notice anything immediately. As to how I ride, I hardly ever come out of the saddle to climb and simply shift to the gear that keeps the cadence which is averaging about 65 rpm.

Anybody else out there experience the same and/or have any idea what's the cause?