Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Knee Replacement & Cycling

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 05-29-20, 01:16 PM
robkyle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Forty plus years ago I blew out my knee in a sports injury, tearing the cartilage & ligaments. As a result I had early arthroscopic surgery. I now have arthritis in the affected area, and a knee replacement is in my future. Iím a very healthy 64 y.o. with no other health issues.

I feel that I can expect a return to road riding after recovery, and would like to hear some of your experiences returning to riding after knee replacement surgery. I am more concerned about mountain biking with an artificial knee. I really enjoy mountain biking, but you do crash much more than on a road bike. So any insight from mountain bikers who have had knee replacement surgery would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-30-20, 04:28 PM
gorillimo

Bikes: Cannondale Super V carbon, RockHopper Comp. Klein Quantum

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 81 Posts
Two knees replaced here. Riding is a part of PT and is great rehab. Start on a stationary to build up strength and balance.
I work in surgery. We do tons of joints. I quit mt bikes. Risk is just too high. You wonít knock your implants loose. But, a break around the implant is really tough to fix. Google peri prosthetic fracture. I have seen someone who fell and sheared the replacement patella off . If you choose to continue, get high quality knee guards, even if you only use them on bad descents. Just depends. We all have what our level of acceptable risk is. Mine is fire roads, and carefully chosen trails. I donít want to fall.....
Old 05-31-20, 11:04 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 51 Posts
I had a complete knee replacement in the summer of 2017. All went well and I was hiking and cycling within four months. Within six months I was skiing again, both cross country and downhill. My knee causes me no discomfort or pain, but I am careful when I ski. Everything depends on how successful the surgery is. That said, all the people I know who have had replacements have done well. Good luck.
Old 05-31-20, 11:53 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Quoted: 3480 Post(s)
Liked 1,470 Times in 1,069 Posts
See the thread in the Pills and Ills subforum here. Comment in that thread if you like.
Old 06-02-20, 07:40 AM
RVH
Bob in the mountains

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.9 (2004 model bought used)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
TKR for me 10 yrs ago. Bikes are ESSENTIAL to your prep and recovery. Prior to, i rode 1500 miles in six months for strength. After, I had my bike on a wind trainer and hopped on after four days doing nothing more than rocking back and forth. It took about three weeks before I could get it all the way around (seat as high as possible). Range of motion is your biggest threat and goal. Riding a bike gives you that range of motion you so desperately need. Everyone I know who had a TKR used a bike as part of their recovery. Even those who are not cyclists have used bikes on a wind trainer.
Old 06-02-20, 05:18 PM
Speedskater

Bikes: Bob Jackson, Trek & Sampson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
One of my friends is speedskating (real fast) with a replacement knee.