Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Thanks for good ideas on shopping... (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/120629-thanks-good-ideas-shopping.html)

miraleh 07-10-05 01:41 PM

Thanks for good ideas on shopping...

Hi, I'm freshly 50, female and looking to up my activity level. My husband is 51 and already enjoys biking with our youngest kid, who is six. With an increase in thyroid meds for Hashimoto's, I`m finally taking off some weight; 15 down and 30 to go, whoo-hoo! I walk a lot and work out at the gym, so not totally out of shape.

I guess I`ll look into the Trek comfort and hybrid bikes, since they seem so highly regarded; not sure if I can swing it yet. Our older two kiddies under 21 are college students.
We`ll probably mostly ride on paths. but it is quite hilly around here, and I want to be able to keep up! Do most of these bikes takes moderate hills comfortably?

FarHorizon 07-10-05 03:24 PM

The bike's gearing will determine how it handles hills. Unless you're young & fit, get a bike with enough low gear to take those inclines slowly and comfortably. You might also look at the Electra Townie if you're sold on a "comfort" bike.

I bought a comfort bike at the beginning of this year for fitness riding. I found, before six months had passed, that the "upright only" riding position of the "comfort" bikes made my behind hurt after anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour of riding. I ended up selling my comfort bike and buying a hybrid that had more hand and seat positions. My eventual choice was a Kona brand bike that I ended up modifying to fit my wishes.

You may not need such specialization. Just make sure you get a bike that fits you and that you are comfortable on. Keep in mind that such things as saddles can be easily and inexpensively changed to match your preferences. Fit and feel are far more important than brand.

Good luck and HAVE FUN!

bernmart 07-10-05 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by FarHorizon
I bought a comfort bike at the beginning of this year for fitness riding. I found, before six months had passed, that the "upright only" riding position of the "comfort" bikes made my behind hurt after anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour of riding. I ended up selling my comfort bike and buying a hybrid that had more hand and seat positions. My eventual choice was a Kona brand bike that I ended up modifying to fit my wishes.

You may not need such specialization. Just make sure you get a bike that fits you and that you are comfortable on. Keep in mind that such things as saddles can be easily and inexpensively changed to match your preferences. Fit and feel are far more important than brand.

Good luck and HAVE FUN!

I concur. I ride with the [mostly] middle-aged group of a bike club, with varying fitness and ability levels. None of us rides a comfort bike. Most of the major manufacturers produce a bike with conservative geometry, drop bars, reasonable gearing. It's a lot cheaper to buy one of those and grow with it than to trade in your first purchase a few months later.

miraleh 07-13-05 08:18 AM

I appreciate the information; thanks for your replies, FarHorizon and bernmart !

edp773 07-13-05 09:14 AM

The Trek hybrid 7x00 and comfort x00 series are geared low enough to climb steep hills. As posted on another thread, test ride and get was feels good to you.
Good luck with the Hashimoto's disease. I was just reading about it yesterday, pertaining to DNA.