Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cyclist Killed on Greenway in NC

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-20, 05:12 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

The report indicates it was a random attack. I sure hope the authorities can find the attacker. This is a well used greenway.

https://abc11.com/chauncey-depew-chi...acked/6380624/
Old 08-23-20, 05:29 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
About 3 yrs ago a friend of mine was biking on a local rail/trail. A guy on a dirt bike came along. My friend told him that dirt bikes were not allowed on the trail. It was not a hostile remark. The other guy pulled a gun and threatened to shoot him but then just roared off. A couple months later the same guy shot and killed a guy on the same rail/trail. It took about 6 months but the CT State Police arrested him I hope they find the perp in your link.
Old 08-23-20, 05:35 AM
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
This stuff happens once in awhile in many recreational areas for cycling, jogging, hiking... any outdoors area with opportunities for psychopaths to hide. A few years ago a jogger on the Dallas trails was brutally murdered by an insane guy with a machete. The victim's wife committed suicide not long afterward, so the murderer got two victims.

One problem with most multi-use paths is that many of them are repurposed from long existing easements, mostly utility gravel roads for waterways, railways, etc. Any older residential or commercial developments near those utility roads either declined in value due to the poor location, or were deliberately built there to take advantage of the cheap property. Run-down areas invariably attract homeless folks (very few of whom, statistically, are a threat to anyone), along with predators who *are* dangerous.

In my experience it's not the typical homeless folks we need to worry about. It's the predators and violent offenders who are drawn to vulnerable homeless folks to exploit them, or hide among them to avoid detection by law enforcement. Most homeless and mentally ill folks who *are* drawn to camping along MUPs do so to get away from the noise and aggressive vibe of the available homeless shelters. I don't blame them. I've seen many homeless folks along the MUP and they rarely do any panhandling and try to stay away from the normal trail users, because they don't want to draw attention from themselves and be jailed or forced back to the jail-like homeless shelters.

While Fort Worth's MUP is pretty safe there are places along it I won't ride alone at certain times. No point making it too easy. Although so far police reports indicate that virtually all of the *reported* offenses have occurred along the most popular and heavily used areas of the MUP. The offenders mostly fit the exhibitionist and daredevil types, who prefer the risk of being seen or caught while groping women or assaulting passersby.

I'm still more worried about negligent drivers who consider themselves normal, responsible citizens, but fail to regard cyclists and pedestrians as equal humans.

And critters when riding rural areas at night.

My usual philosophy for venturing out, whether to the grocery store or a bike ride, is the same as Hamlet's -- The readiness is all:

"We defy augury. There’s a special providence in the fall of a sparrow. If it be now, ’tis not to come. If it be not to come, it will be now. If it be not now, yet it will come—the readiness is all. Since no man of aught he leaves knows, what is ’t to leave betimes? Let be." --Hamlet 5/2
Likes For canklecat:
Old 08-23-20, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I live in Raleigh and use the greenways occasionally (I live .5 miles from one) - though mostly during the winter months as I am a roadie.
I've been here 33 years and can't recall anything like this happening.
I hope they find the person and prosecute him or her to the fullest extent of the law which seems to be less likely these days.
Old 08-23-20, 06:06 PM

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
I am north east of Raleigh and ride the greenway up to 98. There are two overpasses and one long narrow tunnel. I have often thought of the ease with which I could be cornered in the tunnel. I hope the police can find this piece of garbage as his act puts a question in the mind as to the use of a otherwise safe path.
Frank.