Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Ridin In Winter (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/1219198-ridin-winter.html)

Wanderer 12-09-20 05:14 PM

Ridin In Winter

What a beautiful December day to go for a bike ride in the Midwest. Near Chicago

51 degrees, full sun, no wind !

30 glorious miles - IN DECEMBER!

rsbob 12-09-20 07:38 PM

What a fantastic day for a ride. Congrats. But 51* in Dec? It’s probably some type of global aberration. ;) At least you can take advantage of it.

we hit the low 60s just a few days ago which was another record.

reverborama 12-09-20 08:20 PM

The climate change deniers were all "Where's your Global Warming now?!" when we got a good bit of snow in October. They seem to be on mute now.

It's all melted except the biggest piles by now. We've had a very warm and dry month here in the Twin Cities so I've gotten a lot of riding in on the gravel bike. Not much action on the fatbike but it's ready to go, studs, bar mitts and all. I'm not complaining at all but it sure is weird!

JanMM 12-09-20 08:53 PM

Nice sunny day in the 40's in Central Indiana today. Got out for an 18 mile ride. Very nice Fall day - still got more than a week to go till Winter is here!

Wildwood 12-09-20 08:55 PM

It's not Winter.

deacon mark 12-10-20 11:09 AM

Central Illinois the past few days actually have been great. Not much wind and the past 2 days warmer. Better than some days in the middle of summer.

JohnDThompson 12-10-20 06:13 PM

Upper 40s here in Northern Wisconsin. I got in 25 miles; wind was too strong for more. One of those Facebook "10 years ago" memory resurrection posts showed a picture from Dec. 10 ten years ago with a large amount of snow on the ground. Nothing so far this year.

OldsCOOL 12-10-20 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson (Post 21827455)
Upper 40s here in Northern Wisconsin. I got in 25 miles; wind was too strong for more. One of those Facebook "10 years ago" memory resurrection posts showed a picture from Dec. 10 ten years ago with a large amount of snow on the ground. Nothing so far this year.

I’m just across the pond from you folks in Wisc. No snow. Haven’t had the usual 4-6” storms either. Makes for easy snowriding. Today was almost 50.

Sertsa 12-10-20 10:37 PM

It was a little over 40F today in NE Ohio, and the two feet of snow that fell last week mostly melted, so I took a ride. For the first part I rode a gravel/dirt trail that had a few snow and ice sections, which was a little unnerving at times (first time for me). Then I went on a mostly cleared rail-trail, which was nice.

I stopped to take a picture.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...921fc15b76.jpg

big chainring 12-11-20 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Wanderer (Post 21825911)
What a beautiful December day to go for a bike ride in the Midwest. Near Chicago

Yes! Amazing day. Worked till 3 pm then hit the Green Bay trail by 3:15. Which gave me an hour before sunset. Wilmette north to Ravinia and back.

55tele 12-12-20 07:38 PM

I was out in that same weather, got a quick 10 miles in Lake in the Hills, IL.....a rare day for December bike riding.......

Greenhil 12-14-20 05:26 AM

Have done a record 4 December rides this year here in Vermont (previous record: 0). Being more confident about how to dress for the cold, plus a lack of snow have made that possible.

Doohickie 12-16-20 12:20 PM

I'm in Texas so my "winter" riding is more like "autumn" riding for many.

Still... to motivate myself to ride this month I decided to do Twelve Days of Christmas Lights. So on the first ride I took 1 picture of Christmas lights, 2 pictures on the second ride, and so on. I've ridden 8 nights so far. Need to do 4 more before Christmas.

Here's a link to my Facebook album of the rides. And if you're curious each picture has a link to the Strava trace for the ride when the pic was taken.

Teaser: Here's my bike in front of Fort Worth's Christmas Tree
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6daf502e1c.jpg

delbiker1 12-16-20 03:02 PM

Much more seasonal yesterday and today in south coastal Delaware, mid 30s to start and low 40s at end with 12 to 15 mph wind both days. I now have 400 miles in December and 280 to reach 8000 for 2020. Hard rain this afternoon but northern Delaware is getting snow.

5 mph 12-16-20 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by delbiker1 (Post 21835933)
Much more seasonal yesterday and today in south coastal Delaware, mid 30s to start and low 40s at end with 12 to 15 mph wind both days. I now have 400 miles in December and 280 to reach 8000 for 2020. Hard rain this afternoon but northern Delaware is getting snow.

saw a picture of a 77 year old biker from Delaware ..he was riding a bike in your area. ...Joe something..thnk it was like Biden... seriously it was in the news..I am originally from Delaware..love the place

Papa Tom 12-17-20 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by reverborama (Post 21826131)
The climate change deniers were all "Where's your Global Warming now?!" when we got a good bit of snow in October. They seem to be on mute now.

Climate change is based on average temperatures rising around the globe, NOT on individual episodes of snow or frosty weather. Why is this so difficult for so many people to grasp? (imagine "Scratching Head" emoji here.)

Riveting 12-17-20 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by reverborama (Post 21826131)

I've heard theories that Global Warming will actually cause "more" snow (and rain), because the air is becoming slightly warmer there is slightly more evaporation of the oceans and lakes occurring, which means more moisture in the air than before, meaning more snow and rain. So extra snow (in freezing climates), and extra rain (in non-freezing climates) is actually a side effect of Global Warming.

reverborama 12-20-20 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Papa Tom (Post 21836974)
Climate change is based on average temperatures rising around the globe, NOT on individual episodes of snow or frosty weather. Why is this so difficult for so many people to grasp? (imagine "Scratching Head" emoji here.)

I agree completely. Climate <> Weather. But the deniers jump all over weather that is colder than normal but go dead silent when it is warmer. I find that amusing.

Papa Tom 12-20-20 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by reverborama (Post 21841704)
I agree completely. Climate <> Weather. But the deniers jump all over weather that is colder than normal but go dead silent when it is warmer. I find that amusing.

Me, too.

thehammerdog 12-26-20 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Wanderer (Post 21825911)

did my lake loop 9 miles..
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...455c69504b.jpg
nwnj
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...32c4d81f18.jpg
lk mohawk

Wanderer 01-01-21 03:12 PM

I don't know if I should envy you, or send condolences! LOL

Champlaincycler 01-01-21 03:31 PM

Got my first 20 miles of 2021 in today. 30 degrees with some hints of sunshine and very little wind. I'll ride down to mid 20's or so but the sun has to be shining and wind needs to be minimal. I'm a wimp now, don't ride in real cold as I used to, but today was real nice and lots of fun. In some ways, more enjoyable than a summer ride in the heat. Maybe not......

steelbikeguy 01-07-21 05:08 PM

recent freezing rain and snow has made things scenic, but also caused a lot of tree limbs to break and knock out electric power lines.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...f57a8c_c_d.jpg

Some of the roads were cleared, and some weren't.

Steve in Peoria