Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What passes through your mind during the Hour(s) on your Bike ride?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What passes through your mind during the Hour(s) on your Bike ride?

Old 01-04-21, 09:16 AM
Kabuki12

Bikes: 1973 Windsor Profesional,1976 Kabuki diamond formula with full Campy, 1977 Raleigh Competition GS , 1971 Stella original Campy equip. 1978 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, 1972 Italvega Gran Rally ,1972 Super Mondia Special,Medici Pro Strada,Colnago

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 481 Times in 323 Posts
Originally Posted by bargo68 View Post
If I'm really being honest....

NO!!!! Never!
Old 01-07-21, 03:26 PM
huffman 

Bikes: Litespeed Arenburg, Niner Jet 9, Santa Cruz 5010

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I try my best to forget everything in my life & just concentrate on the road or trail in front of me as an escape. Etherial instrumental music helps to keep me focused on the ride. While I sometimes ride with a couple other people, I tune the chatter out or ride far enough ahead where I can't hear them. I'm here to ride, not chit-chat. Never carry a cell phone with me when riding. I know guys who talk on their cell phones their entire ride, why bother riding going.
Old 01-14-21, 09:36 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 210 Posts
surprisingly, very little
Old 01-17-21, 09:40 PM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 20 Posts
There were five of us on today's ride and we thought and talked about everything 😊. Dreams, current events, movies, and even talked about what passes through your mind when you are riding. It was a 6 hour ride. There were scores of consecutive minutes where I didn't think about anything. Typical.
Old 01-19-21, 12:14 AM
MNHarv

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 24 Posts
The best part is when I zone out. My mind clears of all thought and riding becomes a motor skill. Somehow I'm aware of all obstacles and potential hazards and avoid them, only recalling what might've just happened after the fact. It's a trait I developed riding motorcycles many years ago.

Imagine finding a pace. A speed you're completely comfortable with and your cadence spins the same whether on level round or gently rising. You lean through turns, holding an internal line. Somehow you're not part of yourself. You just ride. Thoughts only drift into your consciousness. Not abruptly as they might if you're thinking while you ride. Jagged and incongruent.

I can't always get into this state of mind. It isn't something I can just turn on at will. (Although coming out of it, so to speak, seems natural and always at the right moment.) More often than not it seems there are no thoughts at all during this part of a ride, but I can't imagine really not thinking. A trick of the mind? I can't say, but I know that afterwards I count those rides where this state of mind occurs to be among the good ones.
Likes For MNHarv:
Old 01-19-21, 05:42 AM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by MNHarv View Post
The best part is when I zone out. My mind clears of all thought and riding becomes a motor skill. Somehow I'm aware of all obstacles and potential hazards and avoid them, only recalling what might've just happened after the fact. It's a trait I developed riding motorcycles many years ago.

Imagine finding a pace. A speed you're completely comfortable with and your cadence spins the same whether on level round or gently rising. You lean through turns, holding an internal line. Somehow you're not part of yourself. You just ride. Thoughts only drift into your consciousness. Not abruptly as they might if you're thinking while you ride. Jagged and incongruent.

I can't always get into this state of mind. It isn't something I can just turn on at will. (Although coming out of it, so to speak, seems natural and always at the right moment.) More often than not it seems there are no thoughts at all during this part of a ride, but I can't imagine really not thinking. A trick of the mind? I can't say, but I know that afterwards I count those rides where this state of mind occurs to be among the good ones.
Many people now refer to this state of mind as Flow state
Old 01-19-21, 10:29 AM
Phil_gretz
Journeyman Bike Commuter

Bikes: '71 Jeunet 640, '79 Peugeot PXN10LE, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '16 Motobecane Gran Premio Elite, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1180 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 519 Posts
My rides aren't that long anymore. Not for any particular reason, except that I'm happy with a nice 1-hour ride or so.

What do I think about? I guess whatever is on my mind. The day's events, upcoming things that I must do. People and conversations. Neighbors and friends. Sometimes my children and their married lives. My wife, and what she needs or expects from me. Often a song running through my head. I try not to think about current events, as I desire that they should not matter to me too much.

If it's a new build, then my focus is on how the bike is doing - any peculiarities, function checks, qualities of the perceived "ride", anything I might change or adjust - those sorts of things.
Old 01-19-21, 10:35 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2840 Post(s)
Liked 747 Times in 559 Posts
Originally Posted by MNHarv View Post

This is simply the meditative state, being here now. You've stopped becoming and are. Some call it transcendental meditation. One allows rising thoughts to dissipate like clouds. It is easier when a physical skill can take over and allow consciousness to take a back seat. Skiing, running, riding, climbing, all these sorts of sports which require motor skill dominance are helpful. For musicians, it's like a drug, why we play and sing and monks chant. See, there it is, I have to analyze the heck out of everything, just the opposite, the other side.