Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

get back on the bike after an extended sabbatical

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

get back on the bike after an extended sabbatical

Old 12-30-20, 05:41 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 843 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy View Post
I may be wrong, but it sounds like you could sail and ride too. One hour on the trainer costs me about 1.5 hours. I can usually find an hour and a half somewhere in my day. Those hours on the trainer are huge for me. I picked up riding again in September. Since restarting, I've been outside 3 times. I'm at ~94 total hours, almost all on my rollers and maybe in my best December shape in years.
Exactly. When I got the boat, it really required significant attention just to be sure it was safe from some kind of catastrophic event. Even though the boat was complete and in mostly good condition, It had 30 year old mast rigging that took me a while to evaluate and update. Then, once I had confidence in sailing normally, I felt a personal obligation to utilize the boat at every opportunity.

2021 will be different. Having a fit vessel is nice, but having a fit body is better. I want to get in shape by the spring of 2022. Good enough shape to do a 100 mile, 6000 ft kind of ride.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 12-30-20 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-30-20, 06:43 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2836 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 558 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
Exactly. When I got the boat, it really required significant attention just to be sure it was safe from some kind of catastrophic event. Even though the boat was complete and in mostly good condition, It had 30 year old mast rigging that took me a while to evaluate and update. Then, once I had confidence in sailing normally, I felt a personal obligation to utilize the boat at every opportunity.

2021 will be different. Having a fit vessel is nice, but having a fit body is better. I want to get in shape by the spring of 2022. Good enough shape to do a 100 mile, 6000 ft kind of ride.
I'm also heading in that general direction, but no, no, no, spring of '21! Every year I know I'll be weaker next year. Every year I cherish the hope that I'll have "it" again next year. So far, so good, but at 75 I can feel that there are limits out there and I'm getting closer to them. Maybe this year, if I can train smarter still . . .

I was full of good intentions to wash and lube the tandem today, but the time got away from me and it's getting dark. The tandem's our only fender bike. Sunset at 4:25 sucks, but it's ~1 minute later every day now. I did get in a roller ride. We're going to join a New Year's party tomorrow - via Google Meet. Weird times.

I also love sailing but as it is said, the best boat is someone else's. Too bad we're not closer .
Old 12-30-20, 07:09 PM
BCAC

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, GF 29er, old Trek Madone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts
I sailed out of NYC, then New Bern NC and then the Chesapeake, with Annapolis a frequent destination. For exercise, I ran. We typically were ashore every two days and when I went, I ran.

‘At 67, I don’t run anymore and haven’t for around 5 years. For a bit, I did nothing much, for a bunch of reasons, and got back into fitness by using a Peloton and 10-15 mile rides outdoors. That became the base for starting to do club rides of 38-63 miles. Got dropped a few times in the beginning, but it only took a couple of months of riding 3 or 4 times a week to get comfortable.

I suspect your fitness will come back quickly, if you push yourself.
Old 01-01-21, 06:33 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1205 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 167 Posts
Well, I've come up with a sufficient goal to help me regain my fitness by 2022.

I'm considering a tour of the Italian lakes in 2022. The tour would include the floating bike path of Lake Garda. I would make use of the many ferrys that transport bikes and passengers from one town to the next. Please click on all the links ;-)

https://vimeo.com/278996876

Cycling day one: Arona to Baveno, 30 miles & 3550 ft of climbing. This route takes in Logo d' Orta, one of the most scenic small lakes in northern Italy. It would be easy to add a rest day here and visit the Borromeo Islands on Lago Maggiore.

https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/3848512579

Cycling day two: Luino to Menaggio, 33 miles & 2700 ft of climbing. After taking a Lago Maggiore ferry to Luino, the route passes into Lugano and terminates at Menaggio on Lago Como. It would be tempting to add a rest day here and visit the Bellagio and Varenna on Lago Como.

https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/3859795864

Cycling day three: Lecco to Isola, 46 miles and 3500 ft of climbing. After taking a ferry to Lecco, the route crosses north of Bergamo and terminates at Sarnico on Lago Isola.

https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/3848740339

Cycling Day four: Lago Iseo to Lago Garda. The route crosses north of Brescia and terminates at Maderno on Lago Garda

https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/3860411923

Cycling day five: The floating bike path of Garda. Please see the links below.

https://www.italymagazine.com/news/e...lys-lake-garda

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/articles/italy-lake-garda-bike-trail?fbclid=IwAR3mslxNVHUVjB8fxk9aU5mmZIheeFbtp5JJqphLISoraxhVW4-fpght6_U&utm_campaign=article&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook
Hi, I have a "train back up to cycling" plan, too, but it depends on indoor cycling. I've been out of the saddle about 3 years now. Last summer I went on a 25 mile ride in our local metroparks, with a group of other 50 or 60 plussers from BF and other forums. Bikes were vintage, rando, 650B, and a few really nice light roadies. I ride my Terraferma and showed the Masi, a Mondonico, and the Rudge Aero Special. But after a shortened 25 nearly level miles averaging about 11 mph I was pretty wasted. The plan is to follow the riding patterns (time, distance, effort levels) in line with the Joe Friel century prepation plan is "Cycling Past 50" My first major weaknesses are pure aerobics and acclimation to the bike position and saddle. I'll use my Wahoo equipment, ride at AT most of the time and use Friel's Climbing days to get some higher-level time. So it's kind of converting Friel's plan into a basis for Seigel's Polarized training (offten discussed in the Training and Nutrition group here on BF.

Formally I'm starting in about an hour, to go about 45 minutes at HR 105 to 120, and we'll see how that goes. If its OK I do a 20 minute stint on Saturday.

The long ride is on Saturdays and that sequence starts a week from tomorrow (1/8/21). It increases progressively up until 3 hours in mid-April. The overall target is to do an outdoor ride 60 to 100 miles in late May or early July. I may start adding some HIIT or cruise intervals in April to build some muscle and get some work in higher zones. Been talking with Carbonfiberboy about this, quite a lot.

Main bike will be my 1984-ish Mondonico using a really narrow Brooks Swallow Select, which is actually beginning to break in. Wheels are clinchers. First to "use up" my old Wolber Coton clinchers in 20 mm width. I just retubed those wheels for a little more robustness and pressure retention. After those are toast I'll change probably to an old set of 28 mm Gatorskins, or maybe my nominally 28 mm (actually 24 mm!) Continental Ultra 3000. Too harsh for the road by my taste, so we'll see if I can kill them on the trainer -- lol!!

Barretscv, that bike is the same one I rode on a cold day on the Lakefront Trail with you and a bunch of Chicago riders - including Verktyg and Bob Troy.
Old 01-02-21, 05:33 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 843 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan View Post
Hi, I have a "train back up to cycling" plan, too, but it depends on indoor cycling. I've been out of the saddle about 3 years now. Last summer I went on a 25 mile ride in our local metroparks, with a group of other 50 or 60 plussers from BF and other forums. Bikes were vintage, rando, 650B, and a few really nice light roadies. I ride my Terraferma and showed the Masi, a Mondonico, and the Rudge Aero Special. But after a shortened 25 nearly level miles averaging about 11 mph I was pretty wasted. The plan is to follow the riding patterns (time, distance, effort levels) in line with the Joe Friel century prepation plan is "Cycling Past 50" My first major weaknesses are pure aerobics and acclimation to the bike position and saddle. I'll use my Wahoo equipment, ride at AT most of the time and use Friel's Climbing days to get some higher-level time. So it's kind of converting Friel's plan into a basis for Seigel's Polarized training (offten discussed in the Training and Nutrition group here on BF.

Formally I'm starting in about an hour, to go about 45 minutes at HR 105 to 120, and we'll see how that goes. If its OK I do a 20 minute stint on Saturday.

The long ride is on Saturdays and that sequence starts a week from tomorrow (1/8/21). It increases progressively up until 3 hours in mid-April. The overall target is to do an outdoor ride 60 to 100 miles in late May or early July. I may start adding some HIIT or cruise intervals in April to build some muscle and get some work in higher zones. Been talking with Carbonfiberboy about this, quite a lot.

Main bike will be my 1984-ish Mondonico using a really narrow Brooks Swallow Select, which is actually beginning to break in. Wheels are clinchers. First to "use up" my old Wolber Coton clinchers in 20 mm width. I just retubed those wheels for a little more robustness and pressure retention. After those are toast I'll change probably to an old set of 28 mm Gatorskins, or maybe my nominally 28 mm (actually 24 mm!) Continental Ultra 3000. Too harsh for the road by my taste, so we'll see if I can kill them on the trainer -- lol!!

Barretscv, that bike is the same one I rode on a cold day on the Lakefront Trail with you and a bunch of Chicago riders - including Verktyg and Bob Troy.
Hi Roadfan,

Our situation and goals are very similar. Your plan for the first half of 2021 is better researched than mine at this point. We should share a log and compare notes. Heck, I'd be smart to follow in your footsteps.

Michael
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 01-02-21, 12:43 PM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 70 Posts
Late to the discussion but I hear you on the motivation. For me it hasn't so much been a lack of motivation the past 3-4 years as it has been a lack of time. Between work and coaching my daughter/hauling her butt to all the different softball tournaments the prime summer riding season has really taken a hit. Work in 2020 was crazy - insurance biz - thanks to Covid and wildfires. My daughter's softball schedule was severely reduced which theoretically should have freed up time for more riding until work blew up.

I actually had to reframe my priorities in my brain these past few years. These are the last two daughters I have at home and they will be gone in a year and a half. I'm really trying to enjoy them as much as possible and help with the youngest one's college recruiting. So, when I ride it's for a lunch break during the week and usually 15-20 miles at a time. I took all bike computers off and just ride to enjoy the time. Sometimes I go a little harder and other days it's a moderate pace. I ride by how I feel. That's really helped with the motivation.

Now it's healing up from a fractured pelvis from a crash a couple of weeks back that is motivating me to get back on the indoor trainer. An injury almost does more for motivation than trying to force myself into it.
1984 Gitane Sprint; 1984 Gitane Tour de France; 1982 Trek 610; 1968 Peugeot PL8; 1982 Nishiki Marina 12; 1972 Peugeot PX-10; 1984 Peugeot PSV; 1993 Trek 950 mtb; 1997 Klein Pulse Comp mtb; 1989 Peugeot Limestone hybrid (for touring); 1975 Gitane Olympic; 1982 Nishiki Maxima, 1983 Vitus 979; Custom late-80's Rodriguez

Old 01-05-21, 05:28 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Hi Roadfan,

Our situation and goals are very similar. Your plan for the first half of 2021 is better researched than mine at this point. We should share a log and compare notes. Heck, I'd be smart to follow in your footsteps.

Michael
Thanks for the kind words! I have some of it laid out on a chart. I'll finish that and share it. Most likely it will be in Excel, with some plots from the spreadsheet. If I can't manage that, I can make some clean drawings and scan them.

Last edited by Road Fan; 01-05-21 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-05-21, 05:50 PM
Road Fan

Hi Roadfan,

Michael
Thanks for the kind words! I have some of it laid out on a chart. I'll finish that and share it. Most likely it will be in Excel, with some plots from the spreadsheet. If I can't manage that, I can make some clean drawings and scan them.