Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bicycling and the S__ word: Embarrassing things we can't discuss

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Bicycling and the S__ word: Embarrassing things we can't discuss

Old 01-16-21, 09:05 AM
Clyde1820

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 177 Posts
A 60-90min snooze, mid-day, doesn't seem strange to me. I generally don't need it, but sometimes it helps. Usually tied to a crappy previous night's sleep, or lack of a suitably long-lasting mini-meal after such a hard workout.

Have a few extended family relatives who've done the short nap thing all their lives. And they've functioned much better for having done so.

Makes sense to do, IMO, if your metabolism and daytime efforts need a little recovery, or if your normal night sleep patterns just aren't always up to normal.
Old 01-16-21, 02:28 PM
bradybunch84

Bikes: Trek Verve 1. This is my second one. Someone stole my first one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I find it easier to sleep during the day than night, but then again before I retired I was always working third shift and you did your sleeping during the day. I have been retired since 2012 and I still can't get into a normal sleep pattern. Always tired during the daylight and wide awake when the sun goes down.
Old 01-16-21, 03:39 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 234 Posts
Power naps are part of my day. Kick back in the recliner for 20 and I’m ready for the evening, which often involves a ride or yard work.
Old 01-18-21, 02:29 PM
5 mph

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 46 Posts
I stopped using my CPAP last year. I was curious and used it the last few days. Of course the weather was sunny out here in the Seattle area
Not the usual curtain of grey rainy windy Despair and chill. No nap! For the first time in a year. Anyone else using a CPAP?
Old 01-18-21, 03:32 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, Peugeot UO14, Trek 800 Anetelope, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj View Post
I think what the OP meant by embarrassing, is that generally naps are associated with baby's or old people.
Bitd top triathletes Mark Allen (probably the best triathlete of all time) and Scott Molina (probably the winniest triathlete of all time) said they took naps. Mark would take power naps 10- 15 min meanwhile Scott would nap 30 min- 1 hr. It made sense, in their prime, these guys were doing 2-4 miles swimming daily, 300-400 miles on the bike weekly, and 60-80 miles running weekly.
As we age our sleep schedule and requirements change. Generally we wake up earlier. Therefore we go to sleep earlier, otherwise we need a nap to stay up later.
Personally, I wake up about 5am and sometimes a bit earlier. If I don't get a nap in, I'll be grumpy or listless and won't feel like working out. I don't think I work out long or hard enough to warrant a nap but I do think I wake up early enough to require one.
Occasionally, I sleep late...I love those days.
Was thinking about this earlier today on how much sleep affects performance. I always hear or read high performance athletes comment how important sleep attributes to peak performance but as we get older, sleep is harder to come by. I know everyone is different and some people 50+ get a great night sleep. I am not one of those people and go through stages where some nights I can sleep 6 or 7 hours through the night and then I go through stages that I sleep 3 or 4 hours and hope I can get back to sleep for another hour or two before the day starts. If not, I am tired the next day and I still work so by evening I'm a write off.

How can I reach my peak performance when getting a good nights sleep is so difficult?
Old 01-18-21, 05:17 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2836 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 558 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson View Post
Was thinking about this earlier today on how much sleep affects performance. I always hear or read high performance athletes comment how important sleep attributes to peak performance but as we get older, sleep is harder to come by. I know everyone is different and some people 50+ get a great night sleep. I am not one of those people and go through stages where some nights I can sleep 6 or 7 hours through the night and then I go through stages that I sleep 3 or 4 hours and hope I can get back to sleep for another hour or two before the day starts. If not, I am tired the next day and I still work so by evening I'm a write off.

How can I reach my peak performance when getting a good nights sleep is so difficult?
As we age, our melatonin levels decline. Take 5mg melatonin about 1-2 hours before bed. It's not expensive, very commonly used by older folks. Only side effect might be a little bit drowsy in the morning. My wife and I don't notice that at all, just that our sleep is sounder and less interrupted. As you probably already know, no screen time for 2 hours before bed. Read instead.
Old 01-19-21, 08:55 PM
IronM

Bikes: Fuji Transonic, Ridley Excalibur, Foundry Overland, Niner EMD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
My Saturday ritual: Ride all morning. Have lunch; usually watching "Chasing Classic Cars" on Motortrend. Nap. Wake up at 4:00 & conclude it's too late to do anything else that day, despite the ever-growing honey-do list.
My favorite day of the week, really.