Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Your Bike probably has a few New Parts. How about your Body?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Your Bike probably has a few New Parts. How about your Body?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-21, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
P9081218 on Flickr
What was the recovery time for that? Was itis painful? I sure have a lot of questions. What did the Physical Therapy consist of? You are typing so I guess you are okay!
Old 02-04-21, 07:41 AM

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
@5 mph - The break accompanied by a fractured scapula, significant tissue damage on the forearm, permanent damage to my left eye (distorted vision), trauma to the shoulder, and road rash. Which are you interested in?

The break was in a brace for 9 weeks and then surgery was done with the above result. This was the most painful. I could move the lower portion while the upper stayed relatively still. The reason the break didn't heal together was a nerve bundle that was between the ends. The steps were fortunate because the doc wanted to run a rod from the top of the humorous to the break. If he had done that then the bundle may have been severed and I would have lost some control below.

The scapula was just a fracture and was probably fine after 6 weeks.

The forearm is still growing nerves. there are parts of the back of my hand when touched send a tingle up to my elbow. I had constant joint pain on the base of my thumb from an elementary school injury. During the healing process the pain was gone! Its back.
Left eye damage didn't manifest until 6 months after the accident. I was scheduled for corrective surgery last April with the possibility of 60% improvement, but......

The shoulder is fine after several months with individual PT. I could not start that until after the surgery. PT was mostly stretching. I focused on two. The first was lying on my back with arm stretched in from of me and then lowering it down and out from my side then moving it above my head to my side. My arm would not go all the way to the bed at first and still has to be muscled to that position. The second was to face the wall with my arm stretched up and the palm against the wall. My body also against the wall and then rotate my body away from the wall while leaving my hand flat. I think these two were the most beneficial.

The accident happened in 2009 when I was commuting to work in a bike lane at 6:30 in the morning. I was traveling about 21 mph watching a car approach and stop at the access road to a community of houses. I was watching him intently because sometimes they pull out right in front of you. What I didn't see was a car coming the other direction at a rapid speed. She decided to make a left turn. I saw her coming and had enough time to say " oh Sh." I hit her front fender behind the front wheel. My front wheel went right, the handlebars went left I went up and landed on the joint between the windshield and the roof. I felt the glass break. Then i bounced into the air and landed on the pavement. My left arm felt like it was asleep intently! My head was pointed to the right. I wiggled my toes and slowly lifted my head and rotated it to look at my arm. If there had been pain with that movement, I would have stopped. My arm was angled in a strange way.

Road rash was typically healing time with the exception of a piece of glass embedded in my knee that weeped blood for a bout a year before I really examined it and removed it. Most of it was under the skin with a small portion protruding out.

I was riding my 1972 Motobecane Le Champion that I bought in College in 1973. It had hardly been ridden. Likely less than 1000 miles. I was just getting back into riding after 30 years of none. I was into my second year and starting to feel like I was getting back in shape.
P6010917 on Flickr
P6010926 on Flickr
P8011007 on Flickr
I was thinking of a tattoo using the scare as a TT from a perspective of looking down at a bike.
P9081221 on Flickr
P9051176, on Flickr

Will it buff out?
the replacement
1983 Colnago Superissimo on Flickr

Aren't you glad you asked! $62K in medical covered by PIP and uninsured motorest (She was not insured) from the auto insurance along with a lawyer who negotiated 40% medical discounts, 75% discount on her fees and all the insurance available. Left me with a tiddy sum after. I had no medical as I was between jobs doing supplier quality engineering contract work. This happened on a Thursday and I was at work on Monday so I could pay bills. Used Dragon SW to help with using the computer.
One muscle in my arm was relocated leaving only skin between a portion of the plate and anything I lean on. It is painful when I lean on a edge of anything in that spot.

Last edited by SJX426; 02-04-21 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-04-21, 09:20 AM

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Carbon Flash 2; 2017 Cannondale CAADX 105; 2021 Trek Domane SL6; 2021 Trek Top Fuel 9.7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 42 Posts
That's brutal, SJX. Glad you're ok now. UGH!!
Old 02-05-21, 09:22 AM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Old bikes, old parts, old body. Just an oldie.

Luckily, my only hospitalization has been (so far) resolution of a kidney stone.
Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 02-05-21, 11:55 AM

Bikes: 2021 Giant Escape 2 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Guess I'm one of the lucky ones...at 79 yrs. old no replacement parts as yet. In fact, I haven't spent a night in a hospital since 1955! (appendix) :-)