Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Why does the Mind forget Pain and Danger so quickly?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Why does the Mind forget Pain and Danger so quickly?

Old 02-06-21, 05:00 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 283
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 50 Posts
Why does the Mind forget Pain and Danger so quickly?

Its Monday morning and I'm chugging up a steep hill on my Single Speed. On the left comes traffic. On the right is a Deep Ditch.
Its not the normal traffic on this road, Subaru's and Honda's that slow down and even stop so you are safe.
This time its big ancient work trucks and the drivers come within a foot of me .
I'm using Pedals with Straps. If I run out of steam, the Straps can keep me from getting my foot on the ground in time
to stop my fall because by now I am tiring and moving slowly. I can't downshift, I'm on a Single Speed
If my legs lose power and freeze I would literally tip over, hopefully into the ditch and not the tires of a big Ford Ranger.
I swear I will never do this again. It was really stupid trying to climb this Hill.
I look up and see I still haven't crested the hill. I have about fifty feet to go, and it hurts and it seems like it
takes 10 minutes to get there. There's fear and pain and breakfast coffee fumes in my stomach. I feel like a five year old SCARED CHILD. I won't do this again
Finally I am there!
I look down and see 200 yards of empty plunging hill, and I forget everything and a few seconds later, I'm whizzing down the hill at high speed, happy as a Five year old with an Ice Cream Cone. I feel like SUPERMAN.

Two days later, Its Wednesday morning and I'm chugging up a hill on my Single Speed. On the left comes traffic. On the right is a Deep Ditch.
Its not the normal traffic on this road, Subaru's and Honda's that slow down and even stop so you are safe.
This time its big ancient work trucks .....

Why do our Minds forget Pain and Fear so quickly?
Many of you have been Riding longer than me. Have you ever had this Happen?

Last edited by 5 mph; 02-06-21 at 05:06 PM.
5 mph is offline  
Old 02-06-21, 05:04 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 2,267
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked 899 Times in 528 Posts
get hurt a few times you will not forget. still fill my torn rotator cuff 2 years later. I am far more careful now riding.
fooferdoggie is offline  
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 02-06-21, 05:15 PM
  #3  
Sheeple Herder
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 1,806

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1546 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 873 Posts
OUCH! . . . Huh? What?
skidder is offline  
Old 02-06-21, 05:21 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 2,267
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked 899 Times in 528 Posts
I try to avoid things that cause pain Now I cant take any pain meds anymore and I have been in wait too much pain in the last few years so I don't risk it much anymore.
fooferdoggie is offline  
Old 02-06-21, 05:24 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Tomm Willians's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Nevada County, California
Posts: 769

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 253 Posts
Iím 6 weeks into recovering from the worst bike accident Iíve ever had. It made a deep enough impression that I doubt Iíll forget it to the day I die.
Once you have an event that hits a certain level of pain, you wonít forget it.
Tomm Willians is offline  
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 02-06-21, 05:54 PM
  #6  
Life Feeds On Life
 
Hondo Gravel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Hondo,Texas
Posts: 2,140

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4203 Post(s)
Liked 4,354 Times in 2,898 Posts
I avoid country music because of the pain it causes to my ears.
Hondo Gravel is offline  
Old 02-06-21, 08:28 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,703
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 60 Posts
William Neal wrote a wonderful whitewater humor book, Kayaks to Hell . There was one story about a marvelous device -- the Reality Dimmer Switch. It installed onto your head and was a big button. When you were painful, wet cold, and scared, all you had to do was press the switch and you would think you were having a great time. https://www.amazon.com/Kayaks-Hell-W.../dp/0897320107
PaulH is offline  
Old 02-06-21, 09:05 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 283
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
Climbing for 10 minutes is a WHOOOOOOLE lot less painful than listening to country music!
I don't follow Country Music, its loved by many, but it's really out of my realm, being a second generation immigrant. I did think Dolly Parton was a real Star, though.
5 mph is offline  
Likes For 5 mph:
Old 02-06-21, 10:00 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 13,304

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 309 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
I avoid country music because of the pain it causes to my ears.
I have that same unforgettable pain.
OldsCOOL is offline  
Likes For OldsCOOL:
Old 02-07-21, 02:45 AM
  #10  
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 13,490

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4542 Post(s)
Liked 2,770 Times in 1,783 Posts
Depends on the situation. I've shrugged off most injuries -- bicycle and motorcycle crashes, sports, fighting. Heck, I was an amateur boxer until my early 20s, so getting hit and pain were just routine. You've gotta shrug it off instantly or there's no way to survive in the ring. I've seen guys quit, not because they were necessarily stunned, but you could see in their faces the pain just wasn't worth continuing another minute.

But being hit by a car almost three years ago stayed with me. Still hurts every damn day. And that sticks in my mind most rides now. There are days I'll go for a walk or run rather than get into traffic. Running hurts worse than bike riding. But nothing hurts like this daily neck, shoulder and back pain.
canklecat is offline  
Old 02-07-21, 05:39 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 38,107
Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17736 Post(s)
Liked 14,073 Times in 6,679 Posts
Plenty of threads in this forum started by people who have hard times forgetting.
indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-07-21, 08:48 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
texaspandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Heart Of Texas
Posts: 4,234

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1603 Post(s)
Liked 578 Times in 378 Posts
I think it depends on the severity. The more severe the harder to forget.
The pain of lactic acid build up, high heart rate and searing lungs shouldn't be discounted, but it's a credit to humans survival instincts and mental toughness that makes us think we can conquer it next time. However, getting a cut, a broken bone or a concussion will bring on those same survival instincts that say "uh maybe I shouldn't do that again".
texaspandj is offline  
Old 02-07-21, 10:47 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
70sSanO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Mission Viejo
Posts: 5,520

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1841 Post(s)
Liked 2,008 Times in 1,229 Posts
Personally, I think your desire to ride a single speed offsets anything else. You have made your choice, accept it.

I don’t care for traffic much these days and I choose my routes and times carefully. One thing I won’t do in a culture that could care less about my demise is compromise my ability to prevent it.

John
70sSanO is offline  
Old 02-07-21, 11:18 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Bald Paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 1,602
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,525 Times in 724 Posts
Hit by a car 2 years ago.
My mind has pretty much forgotten the fear.
My body still feels the pain.
Bald Paul is offline  
Old 02-07-21, 04:06 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
bruce19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
Posts: 8,449

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1717 Post(s)
Liked 1,267 Times in 731 Posts
It all depends on the mind in question.
bruce19 is offline  
Likes For bruce19:
Old 02-07-21, 04:31 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
mackgoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: San Clemente
Posts: 638

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by 5 mph
Its Monday morning and I'm chugging up a steep hill on my Single Speed. On the left comes traffic. On the right is a Deep Ditch.
Its not the normal traffic on this road, Subaru's and Honda's that slow down and even stop so you are safe.
This time its big ancient work trucks and the drivers come within a foot of me .
I'm using Pedals with Straps. If I run out of steam, the Straps can keep me from getting my foot on the ground in time
to stop my fall because by now I am tiring and moving slowly. I can't downshift, I'm on a Single Speed
If my legs lose power and freeze I would literally tip over, hopefully into the ditch and not the tires of a big Ford Ranger.
I swear I will never do this again. It was really stupid trying to climb this Hill.
I look up and see I still haven't crested the hill. I have about fifty feet to go, and it hurts and it seems like it
takes 10 minutes to get there. There's fear and pain and breakfast coffee fumes in my stomach. I feel like a five year old SCARED CHILD. I won't do this again
Finally I am there!
I look down and see 200 yards of empty plunging hill, and I forget everything and a few seconds later, I'm whizzing down the hill at high speed, happy as a Five year old with an Ice Cream Cone. I feel like SUPERMAN.

Two days later, Its Wednesday morning and I'm chugging up a hill on my Single Speed. On the left comes traffic. On the right is a Deep Ditch.
Its not the normal traffic on this road, Subaru's and Honda's that slow down and even stop so you are safe.
This time its big ancient work trucks .....

Why do our Minds forget Pain and Fear so quickly?
Many of you have been Riding longer than me. Have you ever had this Happen?

It's how we move on.
mackgoo is offline  
Old 02-07-21, 04:33 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 24,152
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7538 Post(s)
Liked 7,940 Times in 3,993 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Depends on the situation. I've shrugged off most injuries -- bicycle and motorcycle crashes, sports, fighting. Heck, I was an amateur boxer until my early 20s, so getting hit and pain were just routine. You've gotta shrug it off instantly or there's no way to survive in the ring. I've seen guys quit, not because they were necessarily stunned, but you could see in their faces the pain just wasn't worth continuing another minute.
Was it Hassim Rahman who was crying in the ring against Lennox Lewis? That was a weird one, he just broke down.
big john is offline  
Old 02-07-21, 04:43 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
downtube42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 3,707

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 993 Posts
Imagine a clan living in a cave. To ensure survival, some had to venture out. To protect against catastrophic failure, some had to stay inside. So that means something, but I don't know exactly what.

We don't live in caves, but our instincts for risk/reward have not progressed much.

So go climb that hill. Our species needs it to ensure our survival.

j/k
downtube42 is offline  
Old 02-07-21, 06:44 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Cougrrcj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 3,891

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Survival instinct. We forget pain. If not, would any woman that has ever delivered a child want to go through that pain again?

I've dislocated my right knee five times, the left knee twice... One time it doesn't pop back into place on its own, I literally had to grab my lower leg and pop it back in place my myself, then hop on the other leg 200' up to the house...

I've been hit by a car while riding a motorcycle, age 24 - I flew 100' through the air and landed on the pavement.

Kidney infection at age 13 - I was curled up in the fetal position on the bathroom floor due to the pain. Dad had to carry me to the car - still curled up - for the 20-minute ride to the hospital.

Appendicitis sat age 45 - again, a 20-minute ride - the wife drove me in her F250HD shortbed on the bumpiest Northern Ohio pot-holed roads to the nearest ER, and the appendix burst when they removed it.

Prostatectomy at age 53 - I thought I could walk to the bathroom the next day... I got out of the hospital bed, took two steps, and my body literally started to convulse from the pain... and down I went like a sack of...

Pain? Yep BTDT. Got the scars to prove it.


.
Cougrrcj is offline  
Old 02-07-21, 08:05 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 13,304

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 309 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Plenty of threads in this forum started by people who have hard times forgetting.
That is why I ride, to forget things.
OldsCOOL is offline  
Old 02-07-21, 08:17 PM
  #21  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 283
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Imagine a clan living in a cave. To ensure survival, some had to venture out. To protect against catastrophic failure, some had to stay inside. So that means something, but I don't know exactly what.

We don't live in caves, but our instincts for risk/reward have not progressed much.

So go climb that hill. Our species needs it to ensure our survival.

j/k
This is not a post about ME
It's a post about US.
And I forgot to specify I use my Mirror very well. And there's also a chance I will get my foot on the ground. and I would watch my mirror before I tip.
And this is my last year riding Single Speed. 61 years old.
5 mph is offline  
Old 02-07-21, 08:27 PM
  #22  
Senior Member
 
downtube42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 3,707

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 993 Posts
Originally Posted by 5 mph
This is not a post about ME
It's a post about US.
And I forgot to specify I use my Mirror very well. And there's also a chance I will get my foot on the ground. and I would watch my mirror before I tip.
And this is my last year riding Single Speed. 61 years old.
That's how I intended - about us. Also intended somewhat light heartedly.

I broke my neck bombing down a butte 16 months ago, just after turning 60. I bomb down that butte now, albiet a tad more carefully. Yesterday I finished a 200k in drizzly darkness, which included a long twisty climb that I dislike due to the blind spots and lack of bailout options. It's my fifth time doing that ride, and I'll do it many more times.

I don't know why, I expect we're wired that way for some reason.
downtube42 is offline  
Old 02-07-21, 08:32 PM
  #23  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 283
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 50 Posts
In time I will be frail. and cautions 'm enjoying my last good year

Last edited by 5 mph; 02-07-21 at 10:38 PM.
5 mph is offline  
Old 02-07-21, 08:43 PM
  #24  
Senior Member
 
bikejrff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 464

Bikes: No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide, Lynskey R260, Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, CAAD 10, Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
Iím 6 weeks into recovering from the worst bike accident Iíve ever had. It made a deep enough impression that I doubt Iíll forget it to the day I die.
Once you have an event that hits a certain level of pain, you wonít forget it.
I am five weeks since my worst bicycle crash ever. Still have 1.5 hour memory gap so i don't even know what happened. I feel your pain bro.
bikejrff is offline  
Old 02-07-21, 09:32 PM
  #25  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Hacienda Hgts
Posts: 1,984

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked 1,835 Times in 887 Posts
Most physical pain I experienced was from a fractured L2 playing football at age 15. Played 6 quarters before I was having trouble walking and had to pull myself out of the game. The mind can do incredibly stupid things when properly motivated.
CAT7RDR is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.