Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Riding Vacation for VA Couple

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-21, 07:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

My wife and I (both a fit almost 60ish) live near Richmond, VA and enjoy the benefits of a relaxed, social road cycling club (30-50 miles most of the time). We are now ready to load our bikes and travel to a destination (up to 8 hours (?) away) and join and enjoy some beautiful rides with another club for at least a week or so in a location with a few other vacationy diversions. This time of year heading north makes the most sense but riding in the heat doesn't lessen our joy of riding (preferably) with people, although that's not a firm requirement. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Last edited by hereandnow; 06-28-21 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 06-28-21, 07:10 AM
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
NYC is opening back up. Maybe a trip to the Big Apple?
Old 06-29-21, 06:31 PM

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
The GAP and C&O Canal Path.

https://www.gaptrail.org/
Old 07-02-21, 12:55 PM
astro

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, '72, Bianchi Volpe, '97 (no more, it died), Greenspeed GTVS6, '05, Trek 520, '13

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by hereandnow
My wife and I (both a fit almost 60ish) live near Richmond, VA and enjoy the benefits of a relaxed, social road cycling club (30-50 miles most of the time). We are now ready to load our bikes and travel to a destination (up to 8 hours (?) away) and join and enjoy some beautiful rides with another club for at least a week or so in a location with a few other vacationy diversions. This time of year heading north makes the most sense but riding in the heat doesn't lessen our joy of riding (preferably) with people, although that's not a firm requirement. Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Not too far from you is the W&OD rail trail. It's one of the nicest rail trails I've ever been on! My friend and I tacked on a two day out and back on the W&OD at the end of a week long visit to the Washington/Virginia area in 2019. Here's the photo album. You need to scroll down to get past the other parts of the trip.

This summer (in about a week actually), we're going to do a 4 day out and back on the Erie Canal Trail in NY state and then spend a day circling Skaneateles Lake (also in NY state). Routes around all eleven finger lakes are here.

Have fun!

- Ed
Likes For groth:
Old 07-06-21, 06:04 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I second the GAP.

But my top suggestion is on the edge your 8 hour range: the Erie Canal Trail. Last month my wife and I used a Christmas present gift certificate from our daughter to do a 3 day weekend in Pittsford, NY just east of Rochester - about a 6 hour drive from here in Maryland. Great riding on the trail or on the roads that NY has marked as bike routes and lots to do in Rochester, Pittsford and adjacent small towns along the canal.

We're driving up to Burlington VT for a wedding and to do some bicycling in that area - another great spot but even further north. We've added a day on the way back to stay in Schenectady NY and do some more riding on the Erie Canal trail around there.
Old 07-06-21, 06:09 AM

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
This may be outside your 8 hour window but I love the bike riding in update New York and New England. The Hudson river valley area has some terrific bike riding. Bear Mountain/Harriman State Park is a popular place to ride. Also contact some of the local bike clubs like the mid Hudson bike club. You can also check out the maps and routes from Adventure Cyclist. They have very high quality maps and good routes. It has mapped out loop rides in the Adirondacks and the Green Mountains. Both are terrific places to ride.
Old 07-06-21, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
Burlington, VT. Likely to be cooler up there. Funky city. Great riding on both sides of the lake. You can cross via a ferry. North Beach is nice for a swim. And, of course, the Island Line Trail that goes out into the lake.
Likes For indyfabz: