Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Advice for my Mom

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Advice for my Mom

Old 07-22-21, 09:36 AM
gattm99
Rouleur

Bikes: ROAD MOUNTAIN

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Advice for my Mom

My Mom (64) rides around 200 miles or around 15 hours per week, often times with my Dad. For many years she has been complaining of abdominal pain after rides. I've always thought this was odd because I never have abdominal pain from riding, and I haven't heard others talk about that either. It's been getting worse and she eventually saw a physician. Eventually after a cat scan they saud she had a seroma from a damaged muscle and told her it should get better on its own if she took it easy. She took 10 days off riding and the Seroma is smaller and feeling much better, but she has started riding again and has another sore abdominal muscle bothering her.

Does anyone have any experience with sore abdominal muscles from riding? I think her position is very bad, she rides a flat bar road bike, size 56 (54.5 top tube) women's frame and she's 5'5" so that seems way to big, but she often finds her rear hanging off the saddle. She also has bar ends on her bike to sit more upright. She tried riding a smaller frame years ago but found it way to small. She does not want to ride with drop bars. Her riding position is very upright which I think would put more abdominal pressure on her, at least that's my theory.

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited by gattm99; 07-22-21 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-22-21, 10:52 AM
Iride01 
MotuekaCascadeChinook

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4650 Post(s)
Liked 3,147 Times in 2,191 Posts
I stubbornly rode very large framed bikes most all my adult life. I called myself comfortable on them for the riding I was doing at the time. When I rode those way to large frames I wanted to be more upright too.

As my riding got more serious, longer and further, I could tell I needed a smaller frame. A 5' 11" I'm now riding the smaller size bike frame that is recommended in that model for my height. And I'm riding a bike with a low stack and I'm in a fairly aggressive position and very comfortable. It's actually the most fun bike I've ever ridden. Wondering what going one size smaller would have been like. I plan on trying that one day.

As for Mom, is she up for trying another bike? If she wants to ride upright then a smaller frame with a slack seat tube angle and high stack will be what to look for. Getting Mom to try a position she isn't motivated to do will be unlikely. Even if it felt okay, just on general principle she'd say it didn't.

200 miles a week! Go Mom. I have trouble making the time to do 120 to 150 a week. And frequently have to be happy with 60 to 80 miles per week.

Last edited by Iride01; 07-22-21 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-22-21, 07:11 PM
gattm99
Rouleur

Bikes: ROAD MOUNTAIN

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01 View Post

200 miles a week! Go Mom. I have trouble making the time to do 120 to 150 a week. And frequently have to be happy with 60 to 80 miles per week.
she loves to ride
Old 07-22-21, 11:42 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Quoted: 4389 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,578 Posts
If she likes her bike but might be open to some modifications, try a swept bar like the Nitto Albatross or a North Roads bar. I use the Nitto Albatross on my 1990s Univega hybrid that's something like a 58cm or 60cm frame, just a bit large for me (I'm 5'11"). It's much more comfortable and versatile than the original flat bars and riser bars I used for a year or so. The swept bar also offers more than one hand position, so I haven't felt any need for add-ons like grip extensions.

A shorter stem might help as well, although that can affect the bike's handling. Takes a few rides to adapt to different stem lengths and heights.
Old 07-23-21, 04:51 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1705 Post(s)
Liked 1,834 Times in 1,166 Posts
Does she do any additional exercise off the bike? Basic core strength training and yoga should help to prevent muscle issues on the bike.