Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Two week report on Jamis...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-05, 11:37 AM

Bikes: '73 Schwinn Varsity, 1964 Schwinn Racer, 1954 Schwinn Jaguar, 1950's Puch Bergmeister, 1980 Schwinn High Plains, 1973 Flandria, 1980's Diamondback Sorrento, 2001 Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

All the other talk on here about cool bikes has made me post this. Two weeks ago I got a 2003 Jamis Aurora and I cannot believe how much difference there is between it and my old 1973 Varsity! Holy Moses, it is nice to actually feel you pedals move you forward, and actually being able to go faster than a three toed ground sloth is invigorating! It took me a 1/2 hour to test all the gears out when I test drove it. Enjoyed the test drive so much I got lost! The guy I bought it from looked relieved when I finally showed up and while he didn't admit it, I know he had a feeling I had stolen it.

At any rate, anyone who thinks there ain't much difference between an old and a new bike needs to try a new one just once. That's all it will take to make you wish for more! Thanks for listening...
Old 07-21-05, 05:42 PM
Papa Wheelie

Bikes: Jamis Aurora '02; Takara Medalist (650B)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Baggsy

thanks for the brief reviews. I'd like to hear more about the ride.
I'm angling for a Satellite (more in my price range and it is available locally... have done a test ride.)

the steel frame is something -- not as light as aluminum, but a better ride, and... you will notice out on the road that once you get up to speed, it really moves along. I have an old Bottecchia that I've used as a backup to an aluminum Felt. It is slower to start up from a stop, but once I get to speed... whooosh!

the Varsity is okay on the flats and when you are coasting... but up hills... yai!

Glad you are smoking with your new bike!
Old 07-21-05, 08:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I, too, am a very happy Jamis owner of a couple of weeks, although mine is the Coda Elite hybrid. I thought that would be the best solution to going on family rides, as my wife and daughter ride, respectively, a hybrid and mountain bike. It has been great thus far, but I still feel I'm missing a bit from my road bikes of the past, so perhaps down the line, I'll get a third bike - this time a road bike. Not sure though. The Coda Elite is toward the road bike end of the mountain bike/road bike spectrum.

Anyway, I'm glad your bike is working out for you and I have a bit of envy. It sounds like a very cool bike!!!
Old 07-22-05, 08:44 AM
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
KeithA,

What are you missing on your Coda Elite? I'm curious as I almost bought that bike. I went back to buy it, and the LBS was out of stock so I bought a Giant instead.
Old 07-22-05, 09:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it's a great bike!!! The only thing I'm missing compared to my road bikes of the past is the ability to change handlebar positions. I used to love to get into a low bent over position with drop bars and change hand positions when doing things like climbing. At my current age though, I'm not sure how long I could maintain that type of position without having a back spasm or something.

I'd recommend the Coda Elite without reservation though. Can't tell you how much fun I'm having with that bike. I really love it. Well, I did get a flat yesterday, so I had to pull out my mountain bike as my daughter was waiting for me in the driveway to go out on a ride. That was fun too.
Old 07-22-05, 11:59 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
They have gone out of fashion now, but I still use them and so do the rest of my group. In fact I would say that a mountain bike is incomplete without them. They give you different riding positions, allow you to get more effort in the hills, and when out of the saddle climbing, they are a must. They also stop your hands falling off the end of the bars on bumpy ground, when you don't want to give the death grip just to hold on

They are called bars ends, and come in allsizes, lengths, styles and cost.
Old 07-22-05, 12:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been thinking about looking into them. I really miss not being able to drop down into the bars.
Old 07-24-05, 06:53 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Jamis bikes are great.
If you want to see a "cool" Jamis Nova, click the link in my sig.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.