Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Returned to Cycling After Sports Car Phase

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Returned to Cycling After Sports Car Phase

Old 09-07-21, 11:50 AM
  #76  
PeteHski
Senior Member
 
PeteHski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 2,165
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 1,126 Times in 713 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post



We've gotta do what makes up happy, life's too short to waste it.
Looks like a bike shop! Actually has more bikes in it than most this year, lol
PeteHski is offline  
Old 09-07-21, 02:29 PM
  #77  
rsbob 
Sniveling Weasel
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 1,752

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Fondriest Racing, Bianchi Trofeo, Bianchi Infinito, Schwinn Varsity, Trek mtn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked 1,029 Times in 630 Posts
What a collection of bikes and cars. The tii was a car I lusted for badly when first released, but was in HS and no way could afford. A very special car indeed, especially with all the go fast goodies you added. Still love their styling. Instead, I was able to buy a 73 FORD Capri V6 with a 4 speed which as great fun. Tons of power, needed a 5th gear and was a bit tail happy.




Went through a flurry of Audi GT coupes, Quattros and ended up buying the N. American press introduction 85 Audi Coupe Quattro. The car of course was loaded with options and was a fantastic cruiser and ski car. I euro-ized it a bit.



Sold it for the 73, 911S




And the rest is history.
__________________
There is no R in Washington (state)
rsbob is offline  
Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-07-21, 02:39 PM
  #78  
rsbob 
Sniveling Weasel
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 1,752

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Fondriest Racing, Bianchi Trofeo, Bianchi Infinito, Schwinn Varsity, Trek mtn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked 1,029 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski View Post
Thanks Rick. As I've noted before, we have quite a lot in common.

I very nearly bought the Autofarm business a few years ago when Josh was looking to semi-retire. Unfortunately that didn't work out, but by sheer coincidence my current neighbour is one of the new owners! They are looking after my SC now.

Being totally objective, my SC is a better car than my 2.4S in most ways. Especially as a grand tourer. It's a lot more refined and less peaky. But obviously doesn't quite have that raw appeal of the earlier cars.
Raw is great when young and a total lead-foot, but refined goes so much further. Three fav colors for IB cars was black, silver and marine blue.
__________________
There is no R in Washington (state)
rsbob is offline  
Old 09-07-21, 04:51 PM
  #79  
Cougrrcj 
Over forty victim of Fate
 
Cougrrcj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 3,891

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Liked 365 Times in 254 Posts
Back in the early '80s, my kid sister 'borrowed' one of my Q-code Cougars for her Senior year in college - her old '73 Catalina 4-dr sedan (no options other than A/C and a 400-4bbl) finally was beyond saving... She got busted for street racing with my 'B' Cougar. A carload of guys in a 'done-up' Chevelle SS pulled up next to the beat-looking Cougar (black primered fender, gray primered door, etc) at a stoplight, and seeing a 4'10" girl driving it, threw her a few rev's as a challenge. Light turned green and she straight punched the 'go' pedal, leaving the Chevelle in her dust. At the next light, the guys said they weren't ready so when the light turned green she repeated the feat of dusting them. They followed her back to her dorm and insisted she pop the hood. There sat my water-stained (from cool-downs at the track) 351C-4-barrel. One of the guys recognized what it was, while Kid Sis played the dumb blonde card, saying it was her brother's car... Anyway, word got back to me and I took the Cougar back and she got to drive my brand new Plymouth Reliant instead for the remainder of her Senior year..

For you MB fans, she has a '89 560SL as her 'fun' car out in LA... She's looking for a 70-71 Cutlass convertible with a 455... I raised her right

Oh, and to keep this somewhat bike-related, after I had bought my S-10S, she wanted a better bike than she had, so she bought a 19"-framed Fuji Royale and completed TOSRV twice, 1980 and 81. (TOSRV back then was 210 miles in two days)...
__________________
'75 Fuji S-10S bought new, 52k+ miles and still going!
'84 Univega Gran Tourismo
'84 Univega Viva Sport
'86 Miyata 710
'90 Schwinn Woodlands
Unknown brand MTB of questionable lineage aka 'Mutt Trail Bike'
Plus or minus a few others from time-to-time

Cougrrcj is offline  
Old 09-07-21, 06:25 PM
  #80  
rsbob 
Sniveling Weasel
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 1,752

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Fondriest Racing, Bianchi Trofeo, Bianchi Infinito, Schwinn Varsity, Trek mtn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked 1,029 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj View Post
Back in the early '80s, my kid sister 'borrowed' one of my Q-code Cougars for her Senior year in college - her old '73 Catalina 4-dr sedan (no options other than A/C and a 400-4bbl) finally was beyond saving... She got busted for street racing with my 'B' Cougar. A carload of guys in a 'done-up' Chevelle SS pulled up next to the beat-looking Cougar (black primered fender, gray primered door, etc) at a stoplight, and seeing a 4'10" girl driving it, threw her a few rev's as a challenge. Light turned green and she straight punched the 'go' pedal, leaving the Chevelle in her dust. At the next light, the guys said they weren't ready so when the light turned green she repeated the feat of dusting them. They followed her back to her dorm and insisted she pop the hood. There sat my water-stained (from cool-downs at the track) 351C-4-barrel. One of the guys recognized what it was, while Kid Sis played the dumb blonde card, saying it was her brother's car... Anyway, word got back to me and I took the Cougar back and she got to drive my brand new Plymouth Reliant instead for the remainder of her Senior year..

For you MB fans, she has a '89 560SL as her 'fun' car out in LA... She's looking for a 70-71 Cutlass convertible with a 455... I raised her right

Oh, and to keep this somewhat bike-related, after I had bought my S-10S, she wanted a better bike than she had, so she bought a 19"-framed Fuji Royale and completed TOSRV twice, 1980 and 81. (TOSRV back then was 210 miles in two days)...

In HS I first drove a green 68 stock V8 Cougar with AC. Thought the headlights and rear sequential turn signals were trick. Blew up the water pump revving it at a stop light when attempting to race a friend. The friend pointed to the growing puddle spreading under the car and laughed. Tail between my legs I pulled over and parked it.
__________________
There is no R in Washington (state)
rsbob is offline  
Old 09-07-21, 08:56 PM
  #81  
jamesdak 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 7,111

Bikes: Paletti,De Rosa Neo Pro,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super(2)Lemond Maillot Juane (2) & custom & Versailles,PDG Paramount,Serotta CSI,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Jan De Reus,Prologue TT,Y-Foil,Softride

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked 1,506 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob View Post
What a collection of bikes and cars. The tii was a car I lusted for badly when first released, but was in HS and no way could afford. A very special car indeed, especially with all the go fast goodies you added. Still love their styling. Instead, I was able to buy a 73 FORD Capri V6 with a 4 speed which as great fun. Tons of power, needed a 5th gear and was a bit tail happy.



And the rest is history.
To be honest I've always had a soft spot for the Capri's too. While stationed at Ft Polk there was a guy with a black Johnny Player Special one, wide body kit and all. Then I spent a few years in Germany and saw a lot of hot Capri's over there! Still keep an eye out locally to see if what shows up.

And as luck would have it today. Coming home from work in the 340i I stopped at the grocery store 1/4 mile from the house. Came back out and the BMW wouldn't run. No indications of any issues all the way home and then this! What the heck, not even 30,000 miles on it. Walked home and got the truck and my code reader. Logging a code for a failure of the high pressure fuel pump. Are you kidding me???? And of course the CPO warranty ran out last month. I swear they engineer them like that anymore, LOL! Should have kept the Miata!!!!
__________________
Steel is real...and comfy.
jamesdak is offline  
Old 09-07-21, 09:56 PM
  #82  
rsbob 
Sniveling Weasel
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 1,752

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Fondriest Racing, Bianchi Trofeo, Bianchi Infinito, Schwinn Varsity, Trek mtn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked 1,029 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
To be honest I've always had a soft spot for the Capri's too. While stationed at Ft Polk there was a guy with a black Johnny Player Special one, wide body kit and all. Then I spent a few years in Germany and saw a lot of hot Capri's over there! Still keep an eye out locally to see if what shows up.

And as luck would have it today. Coming home from work in the 340i I stopped at the grocery store 1/4 mile from the house. Came back out and the BMW wouldn't run. No indications of any issues all the way home and then this! What the heck, not even 30,000 miles on it. Walked home and got the truck and my code reader. Logging a code for a failure of the high pressure fuel pump. Are you kidding me???? And of course the CPO warranty ran out last month. I swear they engineer them like that anymore, LOL! Should have kept the Miata!!!!
Rotten luck! Those are the worst kind of surprises. With vintage cars, breakdowns are to be expected (Always carry AAA card) but on a newer car under 30,000, unacceptable.
I am learning that used, even CPOs, can be a bit of a crap shoot. I know two foreign car repair shop owners - all too well. They both agree that BMWs newer than an 86 530i are their ‘best’ customers. Their main complaint is the use of plastic parts that get brittle from engine heat and disintegrate as well as wonky electrics. The recommendation is if you buy a new one, keep it while under warranty then unload it. Bmers have beautiful designs, can be hot rodded like crazy, are comfortable, etc, but their reliability has really taken a dump. It’s a real shame since they are such great runners.

The warranty on my Macan expires this month and am on the fence about getting an extended warranty. It’s quite the cash outlay, but then it can easily be exceeded with one major repair. Both shops recommend them so am leaning that way, but just had it completely inspected at its 40K service and it is 100% healthy. Hard to cough up several grand to bet against yourself. Still processing - the electric version is due in 2023.
__________________
There is no R in Washington (state)
rsbob is offline  
Old 09-08-21, 02:10 AM
  #83  
Lazyass
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Minas Ithil
Posts: 9,248
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2382 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 345 Posts
I had a 30 year sports car phase and I don't even like thinking about the amount of wealth I spent. My god. Only into sportbikes now.
Lazyass is offline  
Old 09-08-21, 06:25 AM
  #84  
jamesdak 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 7,111

Bikes: Paletti,De Rosa Neo Pro,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super(2)Lemond Maillot Juane (2) & custom & Versailles,PDG Paramount,Serotta CSI,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Jan De Reus,Prologue TT,Y-Foil,Softride

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked 1,506 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob View Post
Rotten luck! Those are the worst kind of surprises. With vintage cars, breakdowns are to be expected (Always carry AAA card) but on a newer car under 30,000, unacceptable.
I am learning that used, even CPOs, can be a bit of a crap shoot. I know two foreign car repair shop owners - all too well. They both agree that BMWs newer than an 86 530i are their ‘best’ customers. Their main complaint is the use of plastic parts that get brittle from engine heat and disintegrate as well as wonky electrics. The recommendation is if you buy a new one, keep it while under warranty then unload it. Bmers have beautiful designs, can be hot rodded like crazy, are comfortable, etc, but their reliability has really taken a dump. It’s a real shame since they are such great runners.

The warranty on my Macan expires this month and am on the fence about getting an extended warranty. It’s quite the cash outlay, but then it can easily be exceeded with one major repair. Both shops recommend them so am leaning that way, but just had it completely inspected at its 40K service and it is 100% healthy. Hard to cough up several grand to bet against yourself. Still processing - the electric version is due in 2023.
Yeah, I totally had planned to finish paying off the Bimmer, sell it, and get something practical and reliable now that I'm a couple years out from retirement. Most likely the money that will go into this repair would have paid it off since I owe less than $2000. It will be on the market soon as planned. It sits in the garage all winter here anyway. I guess if you think about it, the car is 5 years old and this has been literally the only problem since I got it, not that bad....I guess.

One of my main, but silly, problems are my knees. I cannot drive a lot of cars for more than 5 minutes without the knees aching. Why I sold the GTI, there was no adjustment tilt of the seat bottom and I just could not adjust it for the support I needed. The BMW works well with the front of the sport seat pulled all the way out. Now I have to find something that's reliable and will work. Sucks getting old, LOL!

Oh, I do keep AAA. started memership with the Miata since there was no spare tire in case I needed a tow. Cheap insurance for only a hundred some bucks a year to supplement my other car insurance. Used it last night to get the tow.
__________________
Steel is real...and comfy.
jamesdak is offline  
Old 09-08-21, 06:29 AM
  #85  
jamesdak 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 7,111

Bikes: Paletti,De Rosa Neo Pro,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super(2)Lemond Maillot Juane (2) & custom & Versailles,PDG Paramount,Serotta CSI,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Jan De Reus,Prologue TT,Y-Foil,Softride

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked 1,506 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski View Post
Looks like a bike shop! Actually has more bikes in it than most this year, lol
LOL, right!

And I've sold off about 20 bikes over the past year as I downsize. I need to move on a couple of more.
__________________
Steel is real...and comfy.
jamesdak is offline  
Old 09-08-21, 04:56 PM
  #86  
bruce19
Senior Member
 
bruce19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
Posts: 7,931

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1501 Post(s)
Liked 930 Times in 553 Posts
Did not know there was a Capri JPS. I do still lust over a Lotus Europa JPS. I had a V6 Capri "Black Cat" that I liked a lot.
bruce19 is offline  
Old 09-08-21, 08:22 PM
  #87  
msalvetti
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 58

Bikes: Mongoose Crossway 4.50

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob View Post
The warranty on my Macan expires this month and am on the fence about getting an extended warranty. It’s quite the cash outlay, but then it can easily be exceeded with one major repair. Both shops recommend them so am leaning that way, but just had it completely inspected at its 40K service and it is 100% healthy. Hard to cough up several grand to bet against yourself. Still processing - the electric version is due in 2023.
Was considering a used Macan last year, but then started looking at what a PDK issue could cost to fix. We usually keep our daily drivers at least 10 years, and decided that probably wasn't a smart idea with the Macan. Those extended warranties are crazy expensive, aren't they? Like $4K-$5K? Kind of validates my concerns. Got a new Mazda CX-5 Turbo instead. Not a Porsche, but still pretty fun for an SUV.

Our son has a Tesla Model 3, and I really enjoy driving that. I had been thinking that our first electric car was maybe 10 years in the future, but now I think our next new car will be electric when we replace my wife's Subaru in about 5 years.

I can't believe how many short-hood 911s on this thread, and many of them S's. Gorgeous cars, guys. Inspiring me to get my SC running again. Got the parts, just not the time. Reassemble the gearbox, reseal the fuel injection, refresh front and rear suspension, get the Targa top redone, new tires. I say I don't have the time, but I've managed to find 90 minutes to cycle each night. If I just spent that kind of time on the car......

Just waiting for me.



Mark

Last edited by msalvetti; 09-08-21 at 08:29 PM.
msalvetti is offline  
Old 09-08-21, 08:35 PM
  #88  
rsbob 
Sniveling Weasel
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 1,752

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Fondriest Racing, Bianchi Trofeo, Bianchi Infinito, Schwinn Varsity, Trek mtn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked 1,029 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by msalvetti View Post
Was considering a used Macan last year, but then started looking at what a PDK issue could cost to fix. We usually keep our daily drivers at least 10 years, and decided that probably wasn't a smart idea with the Macan. Those extended warranties are crazy expensive, aren't they? Like $4K-$5K? Kind of validates my concerns. Got a new Mazda CX-5 Turbo instead. Not a Porsche, but still pretty fun for an SUV.

Our son has a Tesla Model 3, and I really enjoy driving that. I had been thinking that our first electric car was maybe 10 years in the future, but now I think our next new car will be electric when we replace my wife's Subaru in about 5 years.

I can't believe how many short-hood 911s on this thread, and many of them S's. Inspiring me to get my SC running again. Got the parts, just not the time. Reassemble the gearbox, reseal the fuel injection, refresh front and rear suspension, get the Targa top redone, new tires. I say I don't have the time, but I've managed to find 90 minutes to cycle each night. If I just spent that kind of time on the car......

Just waiting for me.



Mark
Most folks I know work on their cars during the late Fall and Winter to get them on the road for Spring, unless you live in the land of perpetual good weather. Your punch list is extensive. If it were me, I would just focus on one thing at a time and get that done. With so much to do I could easily see feeling overwhelmed, so let’s go ride instead.

You are right about the cost to fix a PDK, but luckily the problem ones were prior years. But with these cars you never really know. Love the paint on your targa.
__________________
There is no R in Washington (state)
rsbob is offline  
Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-08-21, 08:59 PM
  #89  
jamesdak 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 7,111

Bikes: Paletti,De Rosa Neo Pro,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super(2)Lemond Maillot Juane (2) & custom & Versailles,PDG Paramount,Serotta CSI,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Jan De Reus,Prologue TT,Y-Foil,Softride

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked 1,506 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
Did not know there was a Capri JPS. I do still lust over a Lotus Europa JPS. I had a V6 Capri "Black Cat" that I liked a lot.
Yep, that had a black JPS Capri but his was different in that it had an extreme wide finder body kit on it and huge gold JPS decals on the door. Sounded so good to.

Antique store near me has a Lotus Europa and another sports car stashed in the back. Both listed at $18000 I think. The Lotus is so cool.


This is from their website, you can barely see the orange Lotus, sorry.
__________________
Steel is real...and comfy.
jamesdak is offline  
Old 09-08-21, 09:59 PM
  #90  
rsbob 
Sniveling Weasel
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 1,752

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Fondriest Racing, Bianchi Trofeo, Bianchi Infinito, Schwinn Varsity, Trek mtn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked 1,029 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
Yep, that had a black JPS Capri but his was different in that it had an extreme wide finder body kit on it and huge gold JPS decals on the door. Sounded so good to.

Antique store near me has a Lotus Europa and another sports car stashed in the back. Both listed at $18000 I think. The Lotus is so cool.


This is from their website, you can barely see the orange Lotus, sorry.
What is the red car?
__________________
There is no R in Washington (state)
rsbob is offline  
Old 09-09-21, 01:29 AM
  #91  
bruce19
Senior Member
 
bruce19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
Posts: 7,931

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1501 Post(s)
Liked 930 Times in 553 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob View Post
What is the red car?
The name TVR Griffith jumped to mind but I don't think that's what it is.
bruce19 is offline  
Old 09-09-21, 06:24 AM
  #92  
jamesdak 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 7,111

Bikes: Paletti,De Rosa Neo Pro,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super(2)Lemond Maillot Juane (2) & custom & Versailles,PDG Paramount,Serotta CSI,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Jan De Reus,Prologue TT,Y-Foil,Softride

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked 1,506 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob View Post
What is the red car?
Ugh.....I've seen it so many times....Let me think.......Oh, I think it's a Rochdale Olympic!

I found a pic of the Lotus too:




I tell you, if I had the mechanical skills one of these would already be in my garage, screw what price. They are both so cool!
__________________
Steel is real...and comfy.
jamesdak is offline  
Old 09-09-21, 01:48 PM
  #93  
rsbob 
Sniveling Weasel
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 1,752

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Fondriest Racing, Bianchi Trofeo, Bianchi Infinito, Schwinn Varsity, Trek mtn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked 1,029 Times in 630 Posts
Cool! Love the old Loti but could never fit in one at 6’2”
__________________
There is no R in Washington (state)
rsbob is offline  
Old 09-09-21, 03:32 PM
  #94  
72fuji
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: se michigan
Posts: 72

Bikes: fuji finest, klien pinacle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
LOL, you guys with your sports cars???… doors? Side glass? Heater? Some of you had or have… radios??? Overrated!!! Seats that move? Luxury! Had this for 21yrs my road sucks and the wife was getting iffy on going….🙄

should have never sold it😞 and before anyone says anything powder coated isn’t cheep… therefore one must protect the role bar from scratches….

sold this to my stepson… another mistake🤔 and the above has sarcasm and a try at humor… but I’m not worried about it cuz everyone understands sarcasm🤣 also had my share of MG Midgets, MGBs and as long as I had a Suburban/Yukon XL… I had use of a 911sc (Friends father) I’d get a phone call and magically my beast was gone for the weekend… and a 911 was sitting there in its place.
I’m 6’2” 911 fit the best, but by far my Super 7 was the most fun.
72fuji is offline  
Likes For 72fuji:
Old 09-09-21, 06:24 PM
  #95  
bruce19
Senior Member
 
bruce19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
Posts: 7,931

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1501 Post(s)
Liked 930 Times in 553 Posts
748 is a really nice Ducati much underappreciated. I wish still had my 998 Bayliss Replica. Another keeper I let go.
bruce19 is offline  
Old 09-09-21, 10:07 PM
  #96  
rsbob 
Sniveling Weasel
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 1,752

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Fondriest Racing, Bianchi Trofeo, Bianchi Infinito, Schwinn Varsity, Trek mtn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked 1,029 Times in 630 Posts
A Duc AND a Super 7? OMG, in my next life, I want to come back as you! And you are still alive to tell the tale. I know that road biking has made me a more aware driver and track work (how much ‘work’ is driving on a track?) has made me a better cyclist.

BTW - enjoy your form of sarcasm.

Am sure you have no problem with speed. <- definitely NOT sarcastic. Or was it?
__________________
There is no R in Washington (state)
rsbob is offline  
Old 09-10-21, 10:02 AM
  #97  
NomarsGirl
Senior Member
 
NomarsGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Easton, MA
Posts: 564

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 125 Posts
I have a 2004 VW Beetle Convertible. I know she's not actually a sports car, but my husband tries to convince himself she is because he loves to drive her. Had a trailer hitch installed so I could put on a good bike rack. It is so fun to cruise down to the Cape with the top down and the bikes on the back. She is fully equipped with the Millennial anti-theft device. 5-speed manual transmission. (6-speed would be better. She revs high).
NomarsGirl is offline  
Likes For NomarsGirl:
Old 09-10-21, 11:33 PM
  #98  
rsbob 
Sniveling Weasel
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 1,752

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Fondriest Racing, Bianchi Trofeo, Bianchi Infinito, Schwinn Varsity, Trek mtn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked 1,029 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by NomarsGirl View Post
I have a 2004 VW Beetle Convertible. I know she's not actually a sports car, but my husband tries to convince himself she is because he loves to drive her. Had a trailer hitch installed so I could put on a good bike rack. It is so fun to cruise down to the Cape with the top down and the bikes on the back. She is fully equipped with the Millennial anti-theft device. 5-speed manual transmission. (6-speed would be better. She revs high).
I learned to drive a stick on a 67 bug. Loved that car. It got me into air cooled cars.

When graduating from HS I had the money to either buy a bug convertible or the yellow Capri above. It was one heck of a decision, but my testosterone fueled adolescent brain wanted the power of the Capri. A decision I later regreted since classic bug convertibles are now garnering good money in the collector market. Good on you for driving and enjoying your beetle.
__________________
There is no R in Washington (state)
rsbob is offline  
Old 09-12-21, 04:57 AM
  #99  
bruce19
Senior Member
 
bruce19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
Posts: 7,931

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1501 Post(s)
Liked 930 Times in 553 Posts
My '05 Ducati SS1000DS. After I broke my neck in a cycling accident and had C1 & C2 fused my ROM made it difficult to ride in this position. So, I gave this bike to my son and bought that Monster I've previously posted. Coincidentally the same paint scheme. Headed to a SP in VT this Friday on the Monster.
bruce19 is offline  
Old 09-13-21, 02:11 AM
  #100  
chaadster
Thread Killer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 10,882

Bikes: '15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, '76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, '17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, '12 Breezer Venturi, '09 Dahon Mariner, '12 Mercier Nano, '95 DeKerf Team SL, '19 Tern Rally, ‘21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, ‘19 T Lab X3

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1767 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 504 Posts
I had a 928 thing for about 15 years until selling them off last year. It was never that I stopped cycling, but the car club stuff took time away from cycling club stuff, and about 8 years ago, I decided that I wanted tocycle more than drive, so the cars sat in storage mostly.

I managed to do both for a few glorious years, but other life demands caught up to me, like kids and work. My other hobbies, wristwatches and wine, also conspired to create a lifestyle I really could not afford to maintain. The cars got the hatchet…though I still keep a ‘76 Fiat spider that was my in-laws since new and is sentimental for my wife.

No more car club stuff though, and no regrets. The cycling lifestyle is so much better for me…if only because it’s easier to integrate wine with cycling than with driving!



The ‘91 in Linen Grey metallic had a supercharger kit on it and laid down 478hp at the wheels on a DynoJet!

The ‘88 was my first and favorite.

Last edited by chaadster; 09-13-21 at 02:15 AM.
chaadster is offline  
Likes For chaadster:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.