Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Zwift survey (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/1244393-zwift-survey.html)

Bald Paul 12-30-21 08:07 AM

Zwift survey

Zwift is currently conducting a survey (or having a company conduct it for them) via an email link. Supposedly it's to ask questions about equipment used. The email states that the survey should take about 15 minutes.

Okay, being retired, I've got time.

Question 1 - How do you identify (M/F/Other/rather not answer.) I checked, and answered Male.
Question 2 - What is your age? Being honest, I clicked 69.
"Thank you for completing the survey!"

Huh? Evidently, I'm not the only one this has happened to. I guess if you're of a "certain age" (not sure what the cutoff is) your opinion doesn't matter to them. I wonder if my subscription fees matter to them as well? :mad:

gobicycling 12-30-21 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Bald Paul (Post 22355732)
Zwift is currently conducting a survey (or having a company conduct it for them) via an email link. Supposedly it's to ask questions about equipment used. The email states that the survey should take about 15 minutes.

Okay, being retired, I've got time.

Question 1 - How do you identify (M/F/Other/rather not answer.) I checked, and answered Male.
Question 2 - What is your age? Being honest, I clicked 69.
"Thank you for completing the survey!"

Huh? Evidently, I'm not the only one this has happened to. I guess if you're of a "certain age" (not sure what the cutoff is) your opinion doesn't matter to them. I wonder if my subscription fees matter to them as well? :mad:

There is a tendency on all sorts of surveys to disregard information and input from older folks. I called my town about their community survey which said 65 Plus, ignoring transportation, recreation, food and shelter needs of those 75 or 85 In the community, including them in with 65 Plus even though the needs may be quite different. This happens regularly and I refuse to answer surveys that end at 65 Plus

CAT7RDR 12-30-21 12:52 PM

Paul, I guess we are not woke enough to be part of a survey?

I notice when I watch GCN and all the Zwift ads popup, I never see older folks being depicted.

John E 12-30-21 04:32 PM

Just fib about your age and continue the survey. Problem solved.

biker128pedal 12-30-21 11:47 PM

I guess they don’t want your money. I understand showing younger people in adds. We all want to be younger and the future customers needs to be grown. But cutting off those with more expendable income is short sighted.

gthomson 12-31-21 12:12 PM

hmmm, I recall seeing the survey as well and recalling it was very short but can't remember the questions? Has anyone found anything online about it?

blacknbluebikes 12-31-21 04:05 PM

I told them I was a 23 year old female with a trust fund and instantly a bro from customer service called up. go figure. dude's got bad news comin.

rsbob 12-31-21 11:52 PM

Having written a number of surveys, they are blindly sent to all users but typically are looking for answers from specific groups, whether age groups, ethnicity, political etc. If the respondents are not within the target demographic, they are kindly thanked for their time rather than waste their time on answers which will be thrown out. It’s not personal, its business. But if you rather spend time answering questions which will be ultimately discarded…

Face it, 50+ are a group which will be dying off, whereas 20-30 year olds will be customers for decades.

Who knows, some day they may wake up and realize that seniors are one of the fastest growing segments and keeping them alive and subscribing longer will help fill their coffers.

PeteHski 01-01-22 06:15 PM

You'll probably have better luck with a Saga survey.

Ed Wiser 01-02-22 12:04 PM

I have seen this several times in surveys.
Funny part is a have the money to buy a smart bike and did. :)
Many younger people are lucky to pay rent.

caloso 01-02-22 12:12 PM

OK Boomer

Ed Wiser 01-03-22 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by caloso (Post 22359094)
OK Boomer

Love this reply ina + 50 forum. Just so funny.

Bald Paul 01-03-22 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by John E (Post 22356346)
Just fib about your age and continue the survey. Problem solved.

Once you get booted, you can't get back in. Otherwise I would have and just messed with them.

Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes (Post 22357400)
I told them I was a 23 year old female with a trust fund and instantly a bro from customer service called up. go figure. dude's got bad news comin.

He's calling about your bike and the extended warranty. :)

Originally Posted by Ed Wiser (Post 22359083)
I have seen this several times in surveys.
Funny part is a have the money to buy a smart bike and did. :)
Many younger people are lucky to pay rent.

Exactly, I understand Zwift is coming out with their own brand of direct drive smart trainer. And, I just happen to be looking at upgrading to one. But, it won't be a Zwift!

spelger 01-03-22 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bald Paul (Post 22360424)
Once you get booted, you can't get back in. Otherwise I would have and just messed with them.

He's calling about your bike and the extended warranty. :)

Exactly, I understand Zwift is coming out with their own brand of direct drive smart trainer. And, I just happen to be looking at upgrading to one. But, it won't be a Zwift!

especially if it is anything like...zwift.

Leisesturm 01-04-22 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 22357764)
Face it, 50+ are a group which will be dying off, whereas 20-30 year olds will be customers for decades.

Dying off? When is a 50+ expected to expire exactly? 5 years? 10? More? Less?? Yikes, I better start shopping for term life insurance!

blacknbluebikes 01-04-22 11:20 AM

telling my wife that I'm thinking about another bike. no upside in that.

rsbob 01-04-22 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Leisesturm (Post 22360922)
Dying off? When is a 50+ expected to expire exactly? 5 years? 10? More? Less?? Yikes, I better start shopping for term life insurance!

OK you busted me. A 50 year old in good health can easily live another 35+ years. Both my parents are in their 80s. Compare that to a 25 year that can live another 60+ years. If I had a finite budget to spend on targeting a demographic, I would go for those with the longest possible longevity. Of course it can be argued that older people may have more disposable income but the sheer number of potential younger athletes would be a more prudent investment.

Don’t rush out and get your life insurance just yet. :D

Champlaincycler 01-07-22 05:43 PM

I learned a while back that taking a survey, any survey, puts you on a list for more surveys, more junk in the inbox and further loss of privacy. Unless you're interested in an ongoing dialogue with marketers, I'd politely decline. I know that the horses are out of the barn and privacy is now a quaint concept, but it is still possible to reign in the marketers if even just a bit.

John E 01-09-22 03:43 PM

Most surveys I see end up with an appeal for monetary donations. They don't give a rodent's posterior about my opinions.

deacon mark 01-09-22 06:53 PM

I am I the only person who does not use zwift? I put the bike on the trainer in the basement. It is not riding outside so the miles do not count toward any cycling situation. It it all about working out and what you get accomplished. In my case heart rate has the most important component of the work since I don't have a power meter. I don't need any special set up other than put my cycling shoes on and the Garmin on the bars. It tells my speed, HR, and cadence along with calories which I take with a grain of salt.

The reason to ride inside is to stay somewhat in cycling shape but also the problem of liking beer, donuts, and ice cream. In the middle of January in Illinois what else counts? Zwift sounds ok but I just cannot be bother I keep it simple,.

rsbob 01-09-22 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by deacon mark (Post 22367660)
I am I the only person who does not use zwift? I put the bike on the trainer in the basement. It is not riding outside so the miles do not count toward any cycling situation. It it all about working out and what you get accomplished. In my case heart rate has the most important component of the work since I don't have a power meter. I don't need any special set up other than put my cycling shoes on and the Garmin on the bars. It tells my speed, HR, and cadence along with calories which I take with a grain of salt.

The reason to ride inside is to stay somewhat in cycling shape but also the problem of liking beer, donuts, and ice cream. In the middle of January in Illinois what else counts? Zwift sounds ok but I just cannot be bother I keep it simple,.

I used to have much the same opinion when I had a basic cell phone and people had these fancy ‘smart’ phones. My phone worked just fine and did what it was supposed to do make calls. Eventually it died and bought a discount smart phone and OMG I could run outdoors listening to music, take pictures, send those pictures track my speed, cadence and heart rate. Just showed I didn’t know what I didn’t know. You may very well know and your trainer is all you need but Zwift opens up a whole new worlds or worlds of involvement and improvement. YMMV

Bald Paul 01-10-22 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by deacon mark (Post 22367660)
I put the bike on the trainer in the basement. It is not riding outside so the miles do not count toward any cycling situation.

That's like saying "I put my car on jack stands, and ran it in gear 50,000 miles without ever changing the oil, because it's not actually moving on the road and the miles don't count." :lol:

CAT7RDR 01-10-22 08:09 AM

Some of us just prefer to be outdoors. In SoCal, maybe it rains 20 days a year max. I can ride my 29er in the rain no problems.

I tried a liquid trainer and watched training videos for about a year. Could only last 90 minutes max. Just plain boring and I knew I was missing out on the great outdoors.

I never got into gaming or smart phones either. I would rather see and have shared experiences with real people rather than artificial experiences. I have a smart phone but it is a PIA to ride with. I use a compact flip phone for emergencies when I ride.

Same thing with using a treadmill and hiking in the hills. Just not as effective in improving my fitness.

Have fun with Zwift if that is your choice. For me, I cannot beat being outdoors.

Bald Paul 01-10-22 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR (Post 22368093)
Some of us just prefer to be outdoors. In SoCal, maybe it rains 20 days a year max. I can ride my 29er in the rain no problems.

I tried a liquid trainer and watched training videos for about a year. Could only last 90 minutes max. Just plain boring and I knew I was missing out on the great outdoors.

I never got into gaming or smart phones either. I would rather see and have shared experiences with real people rather than artificial experiences. I have a smart phone but it is a PIA to ride with. I use a compact flip phone for emergencies when I ride.

Same thing with using a treadmill and hiking in the hills. Just not as effective in improving my fitness.

Have fun with Zwift if that is your choice. For me, I cannot beat being outdoors.

Well, somehow this thread about older people being excluded from a survey has drifted (surprise!) into an outdoor vs indoor riding debate.

I prefer to ride outdoors as well, however:
COVID has caused many group rides and events to be cancelled.
My wife isn't thrilled about me riding solo out on the roads ever since I was struck by a hit and run driver a few years ago.
My arthritic knee doesn't appreciate me riding in cold temperatures outdoors.

Zwift is a supplement to my riding routine. It makes indoor riding less boring for me. If it's not for you, fine.

rsbob 01-10-22 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR (Post 22368093)

I would wager a bet that all of us would prefer to ride outdoors rather than inside. I know I do! You live in an ideal area for cycling, but for many this time of year it’s just not possible, so an alternative is nice. Keep riding an enjoying the outdoors for me. :D