Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   First group ride this Sunday (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/1248454-first-group-ride-sunday.html)

BTinNYC 03-17-22 07:24 AM

First group ride this Sunday

Joining a moderate pace ride this weekend and realized my last group ride was with the Scouts in 1972 (Troop 52, Berkeley, CA).

w00t!

pdlamb 03-17-22 07:45 AM

50 years later? Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Dudelsack 03-17-22 11:26 AM

Stay in the back.

10 Wheels 03-17-22 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by BTinNYC (Post 22441772)
Joining a moderate pace ride this weekend and realized my last group ride was with the Scouts in 1972 (Troop 52, Berkeley, CA).

w00t!

Good Memory

BlazingPedals 03-19-22 03:11 PM

My first evening club ride of the year was Thursday 3/17. It was an 'A' ride, which is advertised at 17-19 mph. In true cyclist fashion, everyone bemoaned that they weren't in summertime shape, and then proceeded to average 19.1 mph.

rsbob 03-19-22 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals (Post 22444251)
My first evening club ride of the year was Thursday 3/17. It was an 'A' ride, which is advertised at 17-19 mph. In true cyclist fashion, everyone bemoaned that they weren't in summertime shape, and then proceeded to average 19.1 mph.

Amazing what pace lines can do to improve average speeds. You were pacelining?

Oldguyonoldbike 03-20-22 09:05 AM

I’ll be leading the Wednesday night B ride this year, starting this week. I’m looking forward to it. I’m hoping it will keep me from finding excuses not to ride.

JanMM 03-20-22 09:31 AM

Heading off to my first club ride of 2022 in a little while. 17 mile route for me. First organized ride since last October's Hilly Hundred weekend in Southern Indiana. Lots of rides with spouse and/or solo since then, of course.

BTinNYC 03-20-22 04:53 PM

Sooo, my ride was fun with very nice people. I learned a bit about cycling on busy 4 lane suburban streets, which was great. Turns out I chose a light-moderate pace group for a first ride and next time will be with a slightly faster group. Wonderful folks, but they were slow and really wobbly. Some were weavers and some wobbled with every pedal rotation. :) I either hung back, or at the hills passed the group and waited at the top.

Paceline skills; I've never done it, heck, I've never drafted, and I think it's scary. But a very close friend of over 40 years, an avid cyclist, wants to tutor me, and our first practice is in the Central Park Loop next week.

big john 03-21-22 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by BTinNYC (Post 22445276)
Sooo, my ride was fun with very nice people. I learned a bit about cycling on busy 4 lane suburban streets, which was great. Turns out I chose a light-moderate pace group for a first ride and next time will be with a slightly faster group. Wonderful folks, but they were slow and really wobbly. Some were weavers and some wobbled with every pedal rotation. :) I either hung back, or at the hills passed the group and waited at the top.

Paceline skills; I've never done it, heck, I've never drafted, and I think it's scary. But a very close friend of over 40 years, an avid cyclist, wants to tutor me, and our first practice is in the Central Park Loop next week.

Sounds like you were very aware of the riders around you.
Drafting isn't for everyone but it can be safe with the right riders. You don't have to be within 2 inches of the rider in front, back off a little when things get sketchy. Being a larger rider I try very hard to be smooth because in group rides someone is always looking to get on my wheel. Smoothness is the key for everyone.

Fast pacelines are fun if you trust the others but I never get into a line of strangers like on a charity ride. I'd rather ride alone and stay away from knuckleheads.
Even with my club when things get crazy I back off. Actually these days I draft more to save energy than to go fast. In the past I was happy to take long pulls but now I need the help more than before.

big john 03-21-22 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 22444534)

I think he drops pacelines. I've seen it done by Lowracers.

downtube42 03-21-22 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Dudelsack (Post 22442092)
Stay in the back.

^ be prepared for people to tell you how to ride your bike, what you're doing wrong, what's wrong with your bike, your fit, your clothes, your attitude, your repair kit or lack thereof, your speed, fitness, pedaling style, and brand of glasses. Then they will proceed to ride 25% faster than advertised.

With that expectation going in, things might be better than expected.

rsbob 03-21-22 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22445846)

Sorry am not familiar with the term Lowracer. Searched the net and no definition.

big john 03-21-22 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 22446579)
Sorry am not familiar with the term Lowracer. Searched the net and no definition.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4480240e79.jpg

rsbob 03-21-22 09:47 PM

^ Wow!

fastcarbon 03-22-22 08:47 AM

First Group Ride

The key to survival on group rides is to always protect your front wheel; and watch out for young guys who cut across in front of you ; they have not had a serious crash yet and ride with "no fear". I have stopped doing certain group rides due to a high number of crashes because of these riders.

BlazingPedals 03-23-22 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 22444534)

Yes and no. There was some drafting - heck,there's always some...

BlazingPedals 03-23-22 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22445846)

Come summer, I can drop them; but not at this point in the season. Most of them have been riding outdoors all winter, or have at least ridden their trainers regularly. Me, three trainer sessions and a prior 35-miler. I was on my highracer, which fits in the group a little better. Every bit as fast as a lowracer (depending on the engine, as always.)

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fa8a1c2691.jpg

Edit: Big John posted a pic of an M5 carbon lowracer. My highracer is also an M5, so same company. The last I knew, a modified version of mine holds the current world Hour record, which I think the UCI calls "best human effort" since it isn't a "bike" by their definition.