Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   What can you do after a brisk 25 mile ride ? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/1253014-what-can-you-do-after-brisk-25-mile-ride.html)

AJW2W11E 06-06-22 12:01 AM

What can you do after a brisk 25 mile ride ?

What can you do after a brisk 25 mile ride? I'm in my late 50's . Before when everyone was working on home, I had extra time.
I spent that on my heavy gravel bike and over that time I somehow managed to get to 25 miles at 17 mph.
Now we're back to the office . I still try that brisk ride. I did it yesterday and today.Yesterday I was tired and managed to cut the grass and fought off a nap, but gave up. Today, I had no pretense of fighting the nap. I embraced it fully!
So my answer is "Not much".

Chuck M 06-06-22 04:20 AM

I rode 30 on Saturday, came home and tuned up the bike I will ride next weekend, took my wife to run errands and then we spent some time with the grandkids. I would have mowed the yard, but my wife has convinced me that I need to start having that done. While I didn't take a nap, I sure would have liked one. In fact most Saturdays and nearly every Sunday, I take a nap. Something I've also been doing lately is taking a power nap on my lunch break. I hope to retire in a couple of years and I think I will take daily naps so I seem to definitely embrace napping.

Tusk 06-06-22 06:36 AM

And what is wrong with a nap?

Some days, I get home from a brisk ride and lay on the floor under a ceiling fan. A bit later, after I wake up, I get on with my day.

boozergut 06-06-22 07:26 AM

I rode 24 miles early yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed a 20 minute late afternoon nap.

Iride01 06-06-22 08:05 AM

If you go off on a brisk ride of only 25 miles and are tired afterward, then I'd suspect you got dehydrated. Though perhaps you hydrated well on the ride, but didn't while mowing the grass.

Yard work like mowing grass is one of the things I find that I don't adequately hydrate during. If you wait till afterward to hydrate it's too late. You might be tired for days. IMO. electrolytes and carbs play a part too, but mostly it's just keeping water in you.

I've got to ride 30 plus today and then come home and walk behind a mower for 70 minutes. On the bike it's easy to take a gulp every 10 minutes since there are two bottles in the main triangle. Maybe I need to install some bottle cages on the mower!

Speedway2 06-06-22 08:27 AM

Rode my SS 40kms (as briskley as possible on a SS) then played/walked 18 holes carrying my clubs with a double strap bag.
I think I'm going to need traction care for a few days.....

big john 06-06-22 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Iride01 (Post 22532262)
If you go off on a brisk ride of only 25 miles and are tired afterward, then I'd suspect you got dehydrated. Though perhaps you hydrated well on the ride, but didn't while mowing the grass.

Yard work like mowing grass is one of the things I find that I don't adequately hydrate during. If you wait till afterward to hydrate it's too late. You might be tired for days. IMO. electrolytes and carbs play a part too, but mostly it's just keeping water in you.

I've got to ride 30 plus today and then come home and walk behind a mower for 70 minutes. On the bike it's easy to take a gulp every 10 minutes since there are two bottles in the main triangle. Maybe I need to install some bottle cages on the mower!

If you're doing yardwork in high heat you could try a small Camelbak. I usually put a water bottle out near me so I don't have to go inside to get a drink. Or I guzzle before and make myself take water breaks during yardwork.

When the weather gets hot I seem to be in a constant state of dehydration from riding and just being hot.

big john 06-06-22 10:55 AM

I take naps more often since retiring. Saturday I rode 65ish miles with 3300 feet of climbing while chasing faster riders who kept waiting for me. I took a nice nap at home. Sunday I rode 25 miles by myself and did not have a nap. Not riding today but I might have a nap later anyway.

bruce19 06-06-22 05:50 PM

I'm not normal so take that into consideration. I upload my data to STRAVA. Then I do dumb things like eat pizza and drink whiskey. Then I clean bikes or just screw around with "stuff." I don't usually take a nap. I have no idea why. I'm about to be 76 and still a mess.

MinnMan 06-06-22 06:27 PM

Do that brisk 25 mile ride more often, it won't wear you out as much.

gthomson 06-06-22 07:38 PM

I'm still working so during the week, I struggle to get in a short ride before I start work or most often, after work. It works out that about 20-25 kms (13 miles) is the best I can do between Monday to Friday but then try and get more time in the saddle on the weekend. When I do about 40 miles or + on a Sunday my day is pretty much shot, especially in the warmer weather.

Daniel4 06-06-22 07:38 PM

If I hadn't eaten during my ride, I'd eat something after. Then I'd take a shower. Then when I'm all refreshed, I'd recharge my camera batteries.

t2p 06-06-22 09:13 PM

when I was much younger and in great shape - the answer was 'not much'

we often did short / brisk road rides during the summer weekdays after work

after the ride we would sometimes hit a spot for a bite to eat / drink - or head directly home / shower and then eat ... then typically done for the evening

rsbob 06-06-22 09:59 PM

I’m 67 and did a 23 miler today (a short ride - a long ride is in the 50-60s). I managed to get a couple of personal bests on Strava on two hill climbs which means I had my heart rate up to 180 at one point. Like Bruce above, I use Strava. When home, helped unload the dishwasher, took a shower and had dinner. Usually don’t nap after rides since there is always something to be done. I do nap and enjoy the down time, but I am never so tired after a ride that there is a need.

AJW2W11E 06-06-22 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by MinnMan (Post 22533026)
Do that brisk 25 mile ride more often, it won't wear you out as much.

I generally do it 5 or 6 times a week . I'm no iron man but I am a hard worker.
Sometimes I work late or focus on my job, that doesnt help.

beng1 06-06-22 10:26 PM

It depends on how much sleep you are running on, and what sort of food you have had recently, those things can spell the difference between feeling sick or feeling like a god.

big john 06-06-22 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by gthomson (Post 22533101)
I'm still working so during the week, I struggle to get in a short ride before I start work or most often, after work. It works out that about 20-25 kms (13 miles) is the best I can do between Monday to Friday but then try and get more time in the saddle on the weekend. When I do about 40 miles or + on a Sunday my day is pretty much shot, especially in the warmer weather.

When I was working I found that any ride during the week would help, even an hour once or twice after work. Unfortunately the last few years at the job I was too exhausted after work and just rode weekends. That, along with the work, caused my cycling to suffer.

delbiker1 06-07-22 03:59 AM

Anything I want to do.

scottfsmith 06-07-22 06:06 AM

The need for a nap is definitely a gauge of what condition you are in. I did 40 miles with half a mile of climbing on Sunday; I didn't require a nap but I enjoyed one. A few years ago I was in less good shape and I really needed a nap after any ride longer than about 20 miles. I also got a lot better about pacing my food/water consumption which helps from getting too wiped out. On any longer ride I now use Skratch Labs Superfuel, it gets me exactly the amount of carbs I need. Five bucks a bottle isn't cheap, but it is worth it for me.

tkamd73 06-08-22 09:42 AM

Same issues, switched to biking every other day, way better.
Tim

superdex 06-08-22 04:40 PM

I get back to work (since a 25mi ride is most likely mid-week, mid-day for me)....

fat biker 06-08-22 09:43 PM

One very important thing I learned from my dogs.
Always leave room in your schedule for a good nap.

fat biker

rydabent 06-09-22 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by AJW2W11E (Post 22532097)
What can you do after a brisk 25 mile ride? I'm in my late 50's . Before when everyone was working on home, I had extra time.
I spent that on my heavy gravel bike and over that time I somehow managed to get to 25 miles at 17 mph.
Now we're back to the office . I still try that brisk ride. I did it yesterday and today.Yesterday I was tired and managed to cut the grass and fought off a nap, but gave up. Today, I had no pretense of fighting the nap. I embraced it fully!
So my answer is "Not much".

I drink a large glass of cold water from the fridge, and take a shower.

jdswitters 06-09-22 01:45 PM

Drink beer

caloso 06-09-22 02:35 PM

Shower, dress, and log in to work.