Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Long road to recovery.

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Long road to recovery.

Old 07-31-22, 04:09 PM
  #1  
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good
Thread Starter
 
ZIPP2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Central Massachusetts
Posts: 1,592

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 351 Posts
Long road to recovery.

After about a 10 year lay-off Chris my old riding partner called me because he wanted to get back into riding again. Back in the day Chris was an animal on the bike and just loved a good Hammerfest. We started off with some trail rides in June and July of last year, and Chris was hooked on the woods instead of the road. Then August 1st of last year I get a call from Chriss wife saying he's been hit while out on his motorcycle. Besides having internal injuries, ripped up skin everywhere, his left leg was broken in 4 places and right leg in 2 places. He had knee and foot issues to just add to the recovery. The first day after all the major surgeries Chris is already doing minor stretches in his bed. Fast forward and Chris is way ahead of what doctors expected and he's now starting to ride. He's using a mtb bike because of the easy gearing and I gave him some flat peddles because his knees can't handle being locked in yet. Chris upped his game today as I kept asking if he wanted to turn back but he wanted to roll on. Looking forward to seeing him tomorrow and how he feels. Knowing Chris, he'll be ready to roll out again real soon.
ZIPP2001 is offline  
Old 07-31-22, 04:18 PM
  #2  
cyclezen
OM boy
 
cyclezen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Goleta CA
Posts: 3,996

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 407 Times in 280 Posts
Good on him! Best wishes for his recovery!
Ride On
Yuri
cyclezen is offline  
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 08-01-22, 05:57 AM
  #3  
BobbyG
Senior Member
 
BobbyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 5,631

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1265 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 651 Posts
Great news!
BobbyG is offline  
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 08-01-22, 09:46 PM
  #4  
rsbob 
Sniveling Weasel
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 2,660
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked 1,780 Times in 1,018 Posts
Wonderful that he is getting back to riding. Now be a really good friend and tell him to sell all his motorcycles. Every motorcyclist I have known, except one, has had a motorcycle/car accident. One ended in permanent paralysis. My dad was an ER doc and saw so many horrendous motorcycle accidents he wouldn’t even let me entertain the idea of owning one. The capper was taking me to the morgue and doing an autopsy on a motorcyclist wearing a helmet that hit a phone pole. Watching his brains drain out of his skull like red tapioca was more than enough.
__________________
Immoderate Cyclist “No regerts”



rsbob is offline  
Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-02-22, 06:56 PM
  #5  
JohnDThompson 
Old fart
 
JohnDThompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Appleton WI
Posts: 23,650

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3003 Post(s)
Liked 2,110 Times in 1,255 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob View Post
My dad was an ER doc and saw so many horrendous motorcycle accidents he wouldn’t even let me entertain the idea of owning one. The capper was taking me to the morgue and doing an autopsy on a motorcyclist wearing a helmet that hit a phone pole. Watching his brains drain out of his skull like red tapioca was more than enough.
I haven't seen anything that dramatic, but I have worked as an RN in inpatient rehab, where we routinely got traumatic brain injury patients from motorcycle and snowmobile accidents. That was enough to convince me to wear a helmet while cycling and avoid motorcycles and snowmobiles.
JohnDThompson is offline  
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 08-02-22, 07:52 PM
  #6  
Ttom
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 61

Bikes: Kona Sutra SE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Fantastic, broken like a pretzel, that is enough to make many a man say never again, and he is back on a bicycle. That's a tough guy.
I tip my hat.
I too had a motorcycle accident in the mid 80's, I told myself I would never ride a motorcycle again until my children were grown, they are grown now so I bought a bicycle.
My mangled Honda Gold Wing will just have to be a memory, one I would like to forget.
Ttom is offline  
Likes For Ttom:
Old 08-02-22, 08:07 PM
  #7  
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good
Thread Starter
 
ZIPP2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Central Massachusetts
Posts: 1,592

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob View Post
Wonderful that he is getting back to riding. Now be a really good friend and tell him to sell all his motorcycles. Every motorcyclist I have known, except one, has had a motorcycle/car accident. One ended in permanent paralysis. My dad was an ER doc and saw so many horrendous motorcycle accidents he wouldn’t even let me entertain the idea of owning one. The capper was taking me to the morgue and doing an autopsy on a motorcyclist wearing a helmet that hit a phone pole. Watching his brains drain out of his skull like red tapioca was more than enough.
He sold both his motorcycles shortly after being released from the hospital.
ZIPP2001 is offline  
Likes For ZIPP2001:
Old 08-02-22, 08:10 PM
  #8  
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good
Thread Starter
 
ZIPP2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Central Massachusetts
Posts: 1,592

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttom View Post
Fantastic, broken like a pretzel, that is enough to make many a man say never again, and he is back on a bicycle. That's a tough guy.
I tip my hat.
I too had a motorcycle accident in the mid 80's, I told myself I would never ride a motorcycle again until my children were grown, they are grown now so I bought a bicycle.
My mangled Honda Gold Wing will just have to be a memory, one I would like to forget.
Chris was the toughest riding partner back in our racing days and I knew he'd be back on a bike way quicker than expected. The motorcycles are sold, and he just ordered a new road bike so it will be fun to help him along as he recovers.

Last edited by ZIPP2001; 08-03-22 at 06:20 PM.
ZIPP2001 is offline  
Likes For ZIPP2001:
Old 08-02-22, 08:27 PM
  #9  
Bmach
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,026
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by ZIPP2001 View Post
He sold both his motorcycles shortly after being released from the hospital.
so the accident upped his IQ? Hope heals well.
Bmach is offline  
Likes For Bmach:
Old 08-03-22, 07:27 AM
  #10  
GhostRider62
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 2,719
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 830 Posts
He'll get better and better. Probably still have residual pain, I do. Age does not help the recovery. I fractured the trochanter at the hip, 5 ribs, clavicle, scapula, humerus, and elbow. The humerus was sticking out a little, the clavicle was a mess but the elbow was the worst. 10 bones plus they had to cut my ulnar bone in two to access the elbow for the repair (3 plates, 25 screws, rod, and some cadaver bone). Putting it behind you mentally is hard but just getting out there and doing it wears the bad memory off. We don't go as fast on a bike as a motorcycle but can also get hurt bad. I "recovered" 3-4 times faster than the Docs said, your buddy will do "well" too. GL to him.
GhostRider62 is offline  
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 08-03-22, 08:32 AM
  #11  
dmanthree
Senior Member
 
dmanthree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northeastern MA, USA
Posts: 1,598

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 171 Posts
I had a crash last February, and am still recovering. My injuries weren't as bad as his, but I understand how frustrating recovery can be. Good on him for continuing to pound the pedals!

Ride on!
dmanthree is offline  
Likes For dmanthree:
Old 08-03-22, 08:42 AM
  #12  
prj71
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: North Central Wisconsin
Posts: 3,773
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2265 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 492 Posts
Yup. Motorcycles are bad. No air bags, not enclosed on 4 sides and running around at 60-80 mph speeds surrounded by 6000 lb+ vehicles.
prj71 is offline  
Likes For prj71:
Old 08-04-22, 08:13 AM
  #13  
flan48
Full Member
 
flan48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Monroe Township,NJ
Posts: 417

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 1.4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
I hope he heals well, and as quickly as possible.
To me, a motorcycle is a bike that goes really fast! No thank you.
Best regards
flan48 is offline  
Likes For flan48:
Old 08-05-22, 11:49 AM
  #14  
John E
feros ferio
 
John E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: www.ci.encinitas.ca.us
Posts: 21,071

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1183 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 525 Posts
Interesting comments about motorcycles. I tend to agree and have never ridden one or had the desire to do so, but I also note that some of the faster eBikes today blur the line between bicycles and motorcycles. As a 70+er, I still prefer to provide my own power, thank you!
__________________
"Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing." --Theodore Roosevelt
Capo: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger (2), S/N 42624, 42597
Carlton: 1962 Franco Suisse, S/N K7911
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
John E is offline  
Likes For John E:
Old 08-05-22, 12:53 PM
  #15  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 27,435

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4574 Post(s)
Liked 2,241 Times in 1,527 Posts
nice to see, good for your friend!

a colleague of mine, was rear ended on his motorcycle, sitting at a traffic light, 1 or 2 years ago. messed him up in similar broken ways. was nice to chat with him recently & talk about him riding his bicycle again, got married, bought a house & sold the motorcycle. sometimes there's one last straw ...
rumrunn6 is offline  
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 08-05-22, 05:32 PM
  #16  
Ttom
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 61

Bikes: Kona Sutra SE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by John E View Post
Interesting comments about motorcycles. I tend to agree and have never ridden one or had the desire to do so, but I also note that some of the faster eBikes today blur the line between bicycles and motorcycles. As a 70+er, I still prefer to provide my own power, thank you!
I talked to a guy a few weeks ago that had a hip replacement recently, his doctor told him no jogging, or long walks for awhile, low impact exercises only, but a bicycle would be OK, so what did he do, bought an ebike. He said the bike will hit 45mph, I am not sure that is what his doctor had in mind where is the exercise in riding an electric moped?
Ttom is offline  
Likes For Ttom:
Old 08-06-22, 06:56 AM
  #17  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 27,435

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4574 Post(s)
Liked 2,241 Times in 1,527 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttom View Post
I talked to a guy a few weeks ago that had a hip replacement recently, his doctor told him no jogging, or long walks for awhile, low impact exercises only, but a bicycle would be OK, so what did he do, bought an ebike. He said the bike will hit 45mph, I am not sure that is what his doctor had in mind where is the exercise in riding an electric moped?
yikes, even my 92 yr old Mom has him beat. with her new hip, from a cpl years ago, she's driving, cooking, cleaning, doing laundry up & down 2 flights of stairs. doesn't like it when I try to help, but if I'm there, I do anyway

Last edited by rumrunn6; 08-06-22 at 09:03 PM.
rumrunn6 is offline  
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 08-06-22, 05:49 PM
  #18  
OldTryGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SW Fl.
Posts: 5,377

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 392 Posts
Originally Posted by ZIPP2001 View Post
.........................Then August 1st of last year I get a call from Chriss wife saying he's been hit while out on his motorcycle.............................Knowing Chris, he'll be ready to roll out again real soon......................................
Originally Posted by Ttom View Post
.........................I too had a motorcycle accident in the mid 80's, I told myself I would never ride a motorcycle again until my children were grown, they are grown now so I bought a bicycle...........................
Originally Posted by dmanthree View Post
I had a crash last February, and am still recovering. My injuries weren't as bad as his, but I understand how frustrating recovery can be. Good on him for continuing to pound the pedals!

Ride on!
Good reading that those involved in Hit and Drive and Crashes are getting back to getting back to normal.

I had a Hit and Run Encounter for a 2nd time in 2 years 3 months a couple of weeks ago. This time got *T-boned* by a WILD HOG at 3AM in my left leg resulting in a face-plant slide. Recovering from the road rash and a fractured left tibia. In 2020 it was a sideswipe by a WILD HOG at 1:25AM resulting in 2 cracked ribs a punctured lung a cracked scapula some left shoulder trauma plus a little bruising thanks to a soft landing on dirt. Just too much for this 72yo geezer to have happen in another 2 years.
OldTryGuy is offline  
Old 08-06-22, 08:17 PM
  #19  
GFS
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: San Diego
Posts: 6

Bikes: Schwinn Moab 2, Schwinn 354

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob View Post
Wonderful that he is getting back to riding. Now be a really good friend and tell him to sell all his motorcycles. Every motorcyclist I have known, except one, has had a motorcycle/car accident. One ended in permanent paralysis. My dad was an ER doc and saw so many horrendous motorcycle accidents he wouldn’t even let me entertain the idea of owning one. The capper was taking me to the morgue and doing an autopsy on a motorcyclist wearing a helmet that hit a phone pole. Watching his brains drain out of his skull like red tapioca was more than enough.
My father gave me a nearly new 1996 Honda Magna V4. It was gorgeous. Red color, nice condition. A real sweet looking motorcycle. It had sat for over 2 years at Dad's place and was not running well. I subscribed to an Motorcycle email reflector to get help in getting it back to running. After getting my technical help, I just stayed with that group for about 2 years. It was not a large group, like 1000 people. Every 6 months, like clockwork, someone on that board would get nailed by a vehicle. And the injuries were not minor. In one case, the rider was a concert musician who lost 1/2 of one leg. I thankfully did not ride the bike that much, maybe 10 times total in 2 years. I gave the thing back to my father because I was smart enough to know that the statistics were not in my favor. You don't have fender benders on Motorcycles. Girlfriend (later wife) gave me a very strong hug after I told her I was going to return it and thanked me.

Last edited by GFS; 08-06-22 at 09:30 PM.
GFS is offline  
Old 08-06-22, 08:53 PM
  #20  
rsbob 
Sniveling Weasel
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 2,660
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked 1,780 Times in 1,018 Posts
Originally Posted by GFS View Post
My father gave me a nearly new 1996 Honda Magna V4. It was gorgeous. Red color, nice condition. A real sweet looking motorcycle. It had sat for over 2 years at Dad's place and was not running well. I subscribed to an Motorcycle email reflector to get help in getting it back to running. After getting my technical help, I just stayed with that group for about 2 years. It was not a large group, like 1000 people. Every 6 months, like clockwork, someone on that board would get nailed by a vehicle. And the injuries were not minor. In one case, the rider was a concert musician who lost 1/2 of one leg. I thankfully did not ride the bike that much, maybe 10 times total in 2 years. I gave the thing back to my father because I was smart enough to know that the statistics were not in my favor. You don't have fender benders on Motorcycles. Girlfriend (late wife) gave me a very strong hug after I told her I was going to return it and thanked me.
A very smart move plus you learned some excellent mechanical skills along the way. I find speed addictive but then I like downhill skiing (used to race), driving my car on the track and fast downhills on my bike. A good friend tried really hard to get me into sport bikes and I knew that I would enjoy it way too much and probably kill myself. I have also put track days with the car behind me for multiple reasons. You were very wise to realize that motorcycle riding is percentage game where the odds are not in your favor.

A tenet of mine got a sport bike and within 6 months broadsided a car that “did not see him” and pulled out in front of him which crushed his right arm and impacted the nerves so severely that he has no feeling and it is totally useless. He was 28 at the time. Poor guy.
__________________
Immoderate Cyclist “No regerts”



rsbob is offline  
Old 08-06-22, 09:28 PM
  #21  
GFS
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: San Diego
Posts: 6

Bikes: Schwinn Moab 2, Schwinn 354

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob View Post
A very smart move plus you learned some excellent mechanical skills along the way. I find speed addictive but then I like downhill skiing (used to race), driving my car on the track and fast downhills on my bike. A good friend tried really hard to get me into sport bikes and I knew that I would enjoy it way too much and probably kill myself. I have also put track days with the car behind me for multiple reasons. You were very wise to realize that motorcycle riding is percentage game where the odds are not in your favor.

A tenet of mine got a sport bike and within 6 months broadsided a car that “did not see him” and pulled out in front of him which crushed his right arm and impacted the nerves so severely that he has no feeling and it is totally useless. He was 28 at the time. Poor guy.
Thank You for the kind words. I think one of my Father's greatest disappointments with me was that I did not get the Gearhead Gene. Everyone else in the family had it but I did not. I have always been more interested on what made things tick in a vehicle rather than going as fast as possible in a vehicle. Now my father did take me stock car racing (just Pure Stock at a local dirt track) and I had a bunch of fun with it but my talents lay in Engineering design. I'm a R&D Mechanical Engineer in my day job. And yeah, there are so many stories of people who just don't understand the percentages or how powerful these modern day Motorcycles are. I had a friend who knew of someone who died in one day after purchasing one of the "crotch rockets". The guy had never driven a very powerful motorcycle. He got on it and did not hold tightly to the bike. When he took off, the acceleration pulled him back and as his body shifted backwards he unconsciously rolled his throttle hand back, accelerating the motorcycle. He hit a solid brick wall going some ungodly speed and died instantly. Gordon
GFS is offline  
Old 08-06-22, 11:03 PM
  #22  
rsbob 
Sniveling Weasel
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Seattle-ish
Posts: 2,660
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked 1,780 Times in 1,018 Posts
Originally Posted by GFS View Post
Thank You for the kind words. I think one of my Father's greatest disappointments with me was that I did not get the Gearhead Gene. Everyone else in the family had it but I did not. I have always been more interested on what made things tick in a vehicle rather than going as fast as possible in a vehicle. Now my father did take me stock car racing (just Pure Stock at a local dirt track) and I had a bunch of fun with it but my talents lay in Engineering design. I'm a R&D Mechanical Engineer in my day job. And yeah, there are so many stories of people who just don't understand the percentages or how powerful these modern day Motorcycles are. I had a friend who knew of someone who died in one day after purchasing one of the "crotch rockets". The guy had never driven a very powerful motorcycle. He got on it and did not hold tightly to the bike. When he took off, the acceleration pulled him back and as his body shifted backwards he unconsciously rolled his throttle hand back, accelerating the motorcycle. He hit a solid brick wall going some ungodly speed and died instantly. Gordon
Dealing with the disappointment of a parent is never easy and tends to follow one unless you have an unusually strong character. Going into R&D ME is one, actually several, better in my book. Not only do you understand the mechanisms but the underling principals behind them. They should be proud of your accomplishments - of course growing into a decent human being is accomplishment enough.
__________________
Immoderate Cyclist “No regerts”



rsbob is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.