Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Had a great ride today.

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Had a great ride today.

Old 08-26-22, 05:56 PM
  #1  
Helderberg
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Helderberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Rolesville NC
Posts: 816

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 138 Posts
Had a great ride today.




My knee held up. My shoulder held up. I am so very happy that I have been able to improve and not suffer when I am done. Next challenge, 40 miles.
Be safe, Frank.
Helderberg is offline  
Old 08-27-22, 07:33 AM
  #2  
freeranger
Senior Member
 
freeranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 2,348

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 550 Times in 341 Posts
Good to hear! Nice bike and scenery too.
freeranger is offline  
Likes For freeranger:
Old 08-27-22, 08:31 AM
  #3  
bruce19
Senior Member
 
bruce19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
Posts: 8,230

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1633 Post(s)
Liked 1,113 Times in 650 Posts
Excellent. Congrats
bruce19 is offline  
Likes For bruce19:
Old 08-27-22, 08:43 AM
  #4  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 20,785
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5362 Post(s)
Liked 4,934 Times in 2,588 Posts
Was this all on dirt? A lot of dirt roads in your area?
big john is offline  
Likes For big john:
Old 08-27-22, 04:09 PM
  #5  
Helderberg
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Helderberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Rolesville NC
Posts: 816

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by big john View Post
Was this all on dirt? A lot of dirt roads in your area?
Not any real dirt here to ride. This is just off the Greenway between my area and Wakeforest. I saw this a while back on one of my rides and when I got back there this time I decided to investigate. I intend to make this a stopover from now on as it really is very nice there. Here is another shot from that ride.
Frank.


Last edited by Helderberg; 09-01-22 at 08:23 AM.
Helderberg is offline  
Likes For Helderberg:
Old 08-27-22, 04:26 PM
  #6  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 20,785
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5362 Post(s)
Liked 4,934 Times in 2,588 Posts
Nice spot!
big john is offline  
Likes For big john:
Old 08-30-22, 04:55 PM
  #7  
t2p
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: USA
Posts: 916

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 354 Times in 236 Posts
Great to hear !

That Topstone is lookin good !

Looking forward to getting some rides on the Topstone I recently acquired
t2p is offline  
Likes For t2p:
Old 09-02-22, 12:37 AM
  #8  
Jumpski
Full Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Thailand
Posts: 235

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV, Trek X- CAL 29er HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 43 Posts
Outstanding, NC is a scenic area for cycling for sure. Have fun, and enjoy.
Jumpski is offline  
Likes For Jumpski:
Old 09-02-22, 07:44 AM
  #9  
BTinNYC
...
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Whitestone and Rensselaerville, New York
Posts: 630

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 556 Times in 276 Posts
Great photos!

I've been riding in your hellacious Helderbergs this week. 😉
BTinNYC is online now  
Old 09-02-22, 01:18 PM
  #10  
Helderberg
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Helderberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Rolesville NC
Posts: 816

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by BTinNYC View Post
Great photos!

I've been riding in your hellacious Helderbergs this week. 😉
Where are you riding? I envy you as I miss the northeast every day.
Be safe.
Helderberg is offline  
Old 09-02-22, 02:01 PM
  #11  
BTinNYC
...
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Whitestone and Rensselaerville, New York
Posts: 630

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 556 Times in 276 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg View Post
Where are you riding? I envy you as I miss the northeast every day.
Be safe.
Rensselaerville, Berne and Westerlo, close to the border of Pain and Suffering.
BTinNYC is online now  
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 09-03-22, 11:43 AM
  #12  
t2p
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: USA
Posts: 916

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 354 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg View Post
Where are you riding? I envy you as I miss the northeast every day.
Be safe.
miss the northeast ...

interesting ... what part(s) do you miss most ?

.
t2p is offline  
Likes For t2p:
Old 09-03-22, 01:45 PM
  #13  
Helderberg
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Helderberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Rolesville NC
Posts: 816

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p View Post
miss the northeast ...

interesting ... what part(s) do you miss most ?

.
I was born and grew up in Schenectady NY, near Albany. I loved the Adirondack MTS, Altmont, Thatchers Park, Speculator, Sacandaga reservoir, and down along Rt.88 south. Nothing like that here in eastern NC. Just a lot of hills. Mountains are all west of me and us Yankees are not always welcome out there.
Be safe, Frank.



Helderberg is offline  
Old 09-04-22, 12:22 PM
  #14  
t2p
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: USA
Posts: 916

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 354 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg View Post
I was born and grew up in Schenectady NY, near Albany. I loved the Adirondack MTS, Altmont, Thatchers Park, Speculator, Sacandaga reservoir, and down along Rt.88 south. Nothing like that here in eastern NC. Just a lot of hills. Mountains are all west of me and us Yankees are not always welcome out there.
Be safe, Frank.



ahhhh got it ... upstate NY is beautiful

have family in NC ? how long have you lived there ?

my BIL lives in NC near Concord - moved there around 20 years ago

he and his wife said they miss western PA weather ... yikes that floored me - thought I would never hear that
t2p is offline  
Old 09-04-22, 06:01 PM
  #15  
Helderberg
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Helderberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Rolesville NC
Posts: 816

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p View Post
ahhhh got it ... upstate NY is beautiful

have family in NC ? how long have you lived there ?

my BIL lives in NC near Concord - moved there around 20 years ago

he and his wife said they miss western PA weather ... yikes that floored me - thought I would never hear that
We have been in NC 8 years this December. I also miss the NY seasons. Here is a photo of my work Van when I was in business. This is my home screen on my laptop. I know it sounds crazy but I really miss the north. Here I like that I can ride all year and my wife is an avid gardener so she is happy. Also, the VA here has been incredibly helpful and has helped me more than I can say here. Be safe and ride on
Frank.

Helderberg is offline  
Likes For Helderberg:
Old 09-04-22, 06:59 PM
  #16  
t2p
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: USA
Posts: 916

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 354 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg View Post
We have been in NC 8 years this December. I also miss the NY seasons. Here is a photo of my work Van when I was in business. This is my home screen on my laptop. I know it sounds crazy but I really miss the north. Here I like that I can ride all year and my wife is an avid gardener so she is happy. Also, the VA here has been incredibly helpful and has helped me more than I can say here. Be safe and ride on
Frank.

my BIL and wife (in NC) also said they miss the different seasons

when I was riding a lot we rode during the winter months - road and off road ; with the proper clothing it was fine

not for everyone I realize but I was a snowmobiler so it was not a big deal - we snowmobiled on days when the highs were in the low single digits

also rode dirt bikes during winter months - studded tires a real difference maker there


btw - one of my fav summer jobs was with a plumber ; still recall the most important things he taught me:

1 - pay day was Friday
2 - poop flows downhill
3 - don't bite your nails
t2p is offline  
Old 09-04-22, 07:48 PM
  #17  
Helderberg
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Helderberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Rolesville NC
Posts: 816

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p View Post
my BIL and wife (in NC) also said they miss the different seasons

when I was riding a lot we rode during the winter months - road and off road ; with the proper clothing it was fine

not for everyone I realize but I was a snowmobiler so it was not a big deal - we snowmobiled on days when the highs were in the low single digits

also rode dirt bikes during winter months - studded tires a real difference maker there


btw - one of my fav summer jobs was with a plumber ; still recall the most important things he taught me:

1 - pay day was Friday
2 - poop flows downhill
3 - don't bite your nails
I am glad you came away with some knowledge you can use to this day. The winters could be rough especially when I was doing new work with no heat. As my company became better established I got away from new work and specialized in remodeling and residential work. Still love the thought of the big snow now that I am retired. Be safe and ride on. Photo of our pond with 29 Koi before we moved south.
Frank.

Helderberg is offline  
Likes For Helderberg:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.