Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Kudos to Digital Gee (Gary) and others

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Kudos to Digital Gee (Gary) and others

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-05, 08:58 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
It has been a great joy watching the progress, excitement and joy of bicycling of DG and others in the 50+ forum.

IMHO, this was one of the primary reasons why the 50+ forum was started - to give encouragement to folks 50+ entering or reentering bicycling and to provide an opportunity for them to share their concerns, questions and progress. Many folks 50+ think they are "old" and worn out, and here we prove that is not correct.

So, my hat(actually, my bicycle helmet) is off to all of you. Keep it up and keep sharing.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-13-05 at 09:07 AM.
Old 09-13-05, 06:05 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well now you've gone and done it, Denver Fox! You've made me blush...

But thanks for the acknowledgement. I'm having a great time rediscovering cycling and it's great to have a place to come with questions and to share an anecdote or two. I've learned a lot in three months -- from how to fix a flat to how to overcome my fears of becoming road kill to how to set goals that I would have thought impossible just a few months ago.

Now don't laugh, but I'm already thinking about my next bike. I love my Trek 3900, but it sort of feels like I'm learning to cycle with my dad's old station wagon, you know? I find myself envying those with lighter, faster, and yes, more expensive bikes.

But, money doesn't grow on trees, so I'll stay with the 3900 at least until next summer. Maybe get some thinner tires, but that's about it. Then I'll upgrade to train for a century (metric or otherwise)!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 09-13-05, 06:09 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Now don't laugh, but I'm already thinking about my next bike
I am surprised it has taken you so long to think about that next bike.

And, I bet it doesn't wait until next year.

Keep your eyes open for that special deal. Should be some as we approach the winter months. Even in San Diego.
Old 09-13-05, 09:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fox,
This is the best part of the forums, it seems like everyone in the 50+ is helpful and easy to get along with. I think you have did a lot to make this forum so great, so I want to thank you for your efforts, even while you were doing the tests, etc, you still checked in and I think thats dedication to our forum....Kudos for Fox
Old 09-13-05, 10:39 PM
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
It has been a great joy watching the progress, excitement and joy of bicycling of DG and others in the 50+ forum.

IMHO, this was one of the primary reasons why the 50+ forum was started - to give encouragement to folks 50+ entering or reentering bicycling and to provide an opportunity for them to share their concerns, questions and progress. Many folks 50+ think they are "old" and worn out, and here we prove that is not correct.

So, my hat(actually, my bicycle helmet) is off to all of you. Keep it up and keep sharing.
Hear! Hear! Cheers for all of the good contributors here. It's the first forum I head to when I come here. It's helped me feel like I can do anything my younger counterparts can do, including wearing spandex dammit.

Thanks to all!

Steve
Old 09-14-05, 08:19 AM

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cheeseflavor
Hear! Hear! Cheers for all of the good contributors here. It's the first forum I head to when I come here. It's helped me feel like I can do anything my younger counterparts can do, including wearing spandex dammit.

Thanks to all!

Steve
I also love this forum. It seems a great group of helpful people. However I am sorry I draw the line at Spandex. I wear C9 compression boxer/briefs with a longer C9 short over them. (At Target) No chafing yet including my 50 mile ride!!
Old 09-14-05, 12:23 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No spandex here, either. As a clydesdale, I don't want to frighten the women and children. ("Look at that pregnant old guy on the bike, mommy!")

I tried one pair of bike shorts, saw no noticable difference and gave up. I typically wear basketball shorts over my jockeys. No chafing yet! Speaking of Target, got a great price on some really ugly but bright orange tee-shirts the other day.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay