Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Tallow, neetsfoot, Mink oils: need to bring some old leather back on-line.

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Tallow, neetsfoot, Mink oils: need to bring some old leather back on-line.

Old 06-30-23, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 65 Posts
Ballistol is mineral oil.
Old 07-02-23, 10:42 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1850 Post(s)
Liked 653 Times in 497 Posts
Back to the baseball glove, we can estimate the force absorbed by a glove (catcher's, first baseman's, or whatever) based on the impulse versus change in momentum (this is just first-year physics), and compare that estimate to my estimate (post 25 of this thread) of the tension in the skin of a saddle holding up a rider. The impulse is the total force over time required to change the speed of the ball. Suppose the baseball ways 150 grams, is flying 100 mph, and the glove stops it within ľ second after initial impact. that time is my guess - I'm sure it is nowhere near as long as a second, and I really doubt (from my scientific study of playing catch when I was in grade school) its less than 1/10 second. Anyway, solving for teh force I get about 25#, which is not significantly fatiguing for the catching arm of a trained ball player.

Recall the saddle strip or membrane sags at an angle of about 5 degrees or less. At 5 degrees, the tension is divided by the sine of the sag angle, to multiply my 200# by 1/0.087=11.5, so my 200# causes a tension around 2300#. If I have not screwed this up, that's about 100 times more force in a bike saddle than a first-baseman's or third basemen's glove stopping a hot ball. No comparison between the stress in a baseball glove versus that in a bicycle saddle!

Softening/conditioning products intended for baseball gloves are not fully compatible with leather bicycle saddles!