Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   May have over did it yesterday (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/1275162-may-have-over-did-yesterday.html)

plumberroy 06-18-23 11:30 AM

May have over did it yesterday

Just getting back to riding after a few years yesterday I made a 21 mile ride, longest in years. Then came home mowed, hauled and burned a bunch of brush worked in the garden then hauled a bunch of wood from a tree we had cut to the back yard. Today I can feel it 🥴 sometimes I forget I'm not in my 30's anymore. Was planning on riding today but I don't think that is happening

Chuck Naill 06-18-23 12:11 PM

You just over did it. What you did would have tired most 20 year olds.

mackgoo 06-18-23 12:39 PM

Go for the ride.

gringomojado 06-18-23 06:33 PM

waddya do after breakfast?

big john 06-18-23 08:31 PM

Yard work like that is no joke. If I'm wiped out and still want to ride I just spin easy. Or sometimes I take my mtb down to the creekbed and walk over some rocks and sand.

Iride01 06-20-23 09:52 AM

Keep working at it. Eventually you'll be able to do all that after a 60 mile ride. And then have no issue riding the next day.

However if you are feeling both tired and fatigued, you might not have hydrated well on your previous ride. Or very likely when you were doing the yard work too. When I was getting back to cycling regularly in my 50's my rule of thumb was to take 1 bottle every hour of riding. So unless you ride at 21 mph, you should have had more than 1 bottle of water or hydration mix. Typically I drink 1½ bottles on a short 22 mile I do frequently.

On the bike I have my hydration nailed down. Every 10 minutes I'm taking a gulp or two of water or hydration mix. But when I work in the yard or do other outdoor stuff, I find that I don't drink enough water. I suffer afterward for a time when I fail to stay hydrated during my work.

nomadmax 06-20-23 10:50 AM

Stop doing yard work. Hire it done.

plumberroy 06-20-23 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Iride01 (Post 22929049)
Keep working at it. Eventually you'll be able to do all that after a 60 mile ride. And then have no issue riding the next day.

However if you are feeling both tired and fatigued, you might not have hydrated well on your previous ride. Or very likely when you were doing the yard work too. When I was getting back to cycling regularly in my 50's my rule of thumb was to take 1 bottle every hour of riding. So unless you ride at 21 mph, you should have had more than 1 bottle of water or hydration mix. Typically I drink 1½ bottles on a short 22 mile I do frequently.

On the bike I have my hydration nailed down. Every 10 minutes I'm taking a gulp or two of water or hydration mix. But when I work in the yard or do other outdoor stuff, I find that I don't drink enough water. I suffer afterward for a time when I fail to stay hydrated during my work.

agreed I carry 2 water bottles my standard drink is 80% water 20% cranberry juice and a splash of lime juice. . I tend to get busy in the yard and forgot about hydration until I am really thirsty

Originally Posted by nomadmax (Post 22929094)

Had to do that for a couple months last year while recovering from surgery. They tore up too much. Plus one of my other obsessions is 2 wheel garden tractors. I don't get to use them f someone else is doing my yard work

Polaris OBark 06-20-23 11:31 AM

Or just neglect it. If you are riding your bike, you won't be around to hear your neighbors complain.

(There is something about 2-stroke engine vibration that really is antagonistic to upper body muscles and bicycling.)

Bald Paul 06-27-23 07:01 PM

That's the route I'm looking at after spending a day trimming along the walk, driveway, and curbing, mowing the lawn, trimming the bushes, bagging the clippings, weeding the garden and applying weed killer. Too much time bent over, using the lower back muscles, which then triggered the worst case of sciatica I've ever had. I could hardly walk later in the day, and I've been basically alternating lying on a heating pad flat on my back in bed and hanging twice a day on my inversion table for three days now.
I'd like to hire a local kid to do the work, but 'local kids' don't really want to work, so I'm in the process of checking out lawn service companies. Besides, getting rid of the lawn mower, trimmers, clippers, etc. will give me more room in the garage for bike tools. (The bikes stay inside the house.)

t2p 06-27-23 08:12 PM

I cut approx 3 acres - typically every 5-7 days from mid April to late October

cyclezen 07-02-23 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by t2p (Post 22936892)
I cut approx 3 acres - typically every 5-7 days from mid April to late October

push reel mower ? you are allowed a catch bag, so you don;t have to rack up after...
anything else is a copout... LOL!
chain saw gardner...
Yuri

Chuck M 07-02-23 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck Naill (Post 22927287)
You just over did it. What you did would have tired most 20 year olds.

Sadly I don't know a lot of 20 year olds anymore that will do what the OP did.

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22927719)
Yard work like that is no joke. If I'm wiped out and still want to ride I just spin easy. Or sometimes I take my mtb down to the creekbed and walk over some rocks and sand.

I will call up the 15 minute rule on days like that. If I'm not feeling it after a hard day, I won't go try to be Superman, but I will at least get out for 15 minutes. If I can go 15 minutes, I can go more, I just have to convince myself to get out and do something.

I fought my wife on this but it has sure turned out to be a good decision. Frees up a lot of time for riding or working on bikes.

downtube42 07-02-23 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by plumberroy (Post 22929123)
agreed I carry 2 water bottles my standard drink is 80% water 20% cranberry juice and a splash of lime juice. . I tend to get busy in the yard and forgot about hydration until I am really thirsty

Had to do that for a couple months last year while recovering from surgery. They tore up too much. Plus one of my other obsessions is 2 wheel garden tractors. I don't get to use them f someone else is doing my yard work

You get a pass on that since it's an obsession, which I completely respect.

plumberroy 07-03-23 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by downtube42 (Post 22942291)
You get a pass on that since it's an obsession, which I completely respect.

Left is a 2012 Grillo G85D with tiller attachment handlebars swing 180 to run the mower deck in front, best tiller I have ever used . Right is a 94 Gravely professional 12 with a 40 in mower deck. I have a bush hog deck. rotary plow, snow blade and sulky
I've been accused of having enough yard equipment for 10 times the yard I have
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c69b6d50f.jpeg

jon c. 07-03-23 06:40 PM

I used to cut the lawn after riding. Which left me doing it in the 95 degree afternoon temps. Wasn't so bad in the yard, but the part out by the road was brutal. My property is well shaded, so I think it's at least 10 degrees warmer out by the road.

But now that I'm no longer going to work on weekdays, I have a bit more time to get things done on a more reasonable schedule.

Jumpski 07-11-23 10:27 PM

A couple of rest days from cycling is the key. Take care of yourself and have fun.

t2p 07-14-23 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by plumberroy (Post 22943172)
Left is a 2012 Grillo G85D with tiller attachment handlebars swing 180 to run the mower deck in front, best tiller I have ever used . Right is a 94 Gravely professional 12 with a 40 in mower deck. I have a bush hog deck. rotary plow, snow blade and sulky
I've been accused of having enough yard equipment for 10 times the yard I have
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c69b6d50f.jpeg

I like !

t2p 07-14-23 10:18 AM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...597961da4.jpeg

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...500e7674f.jpeg

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6041e015f.jpeg

related obsession - 4 wheel tractors ... Wheel Horse specifically

three early 90’s tractors - and two mid 60’s tractors ... stuffed in the garage among a bunch of stuffed bikes and other stuff ... mower decks, snow plows, etc ... stuffed of course

tractor in the third pic is a 1964 Wheel Horse I cut grass with as a kid ... we got that tractor in the early 70’s and I brought it with me when I moved out and continued to use it until it was retired when we moved into our current house around year 2000 ... still has original engine - cast iron Kohler single - basically untouched

I was always on the look out for tractors etc when we did long rural road rides ...

plumberroy 07-14-23 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by t2p (Post 22953042)
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...597961da4.jpeg

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...500e7674f.jpeg

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6041e015f.jpeg

related obsession - 4 wheel tractors ... Wheel Horse specifically

three early 90’s tractors - and two mid 60’s tractors ... stuffed in the garage among a bunch of stuffed bikes and other stuff ... mower decks, snow plows, etc ... stuffed of course

tractor in the third pic is a 1964 Wheel Horse I cut grass with as a kid ... we got that tractor in the early 70’s and I brought it with me when I moved out and continued to use it until it was retired when we moved into our current house around year 2000 ... still has original engine - cast iron Kohler single - basically untouched

I was always on the look out for tractors etc when we did long rural road rides ...

Nice old wheel horse garden tractors. I have an early nineties craftsman with an eighteen HP Briggs. People tend to over look craftsman from that time period. Sears tried to complete with the big guys ,John Deere Wheel Horse etc. And built some good stuff
The Gravely (orange )has a 12 HP Kohler . The Grillo G85D has a 10 HP Kohler Command . It is Italian made

t2p 07-15-23 12:09 PM

single cylinder Kohler engines are great - powerful and durable

wheel horse garden tractors represent one of the high points of US engineering and manufacturing ; the mower decks and related attachments are largely interchangeable and most install and remove easily ... mower decks and snow plows can be installed and removed with no tools ... PTO belt can be replaced with no tools ... snow plows feature a full length frame that attaches to the rear end housing with quick release levers

had some intermittent electrical issues (switches) with one Onan twin powered tractor though - gotta look into that