Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

racing at 50+??

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

racing at 50+??

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-05, 10:34 AM
Roadie

Bikes: kestrel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
racing at 50+??

i just finished (2nd place) in a short but difficult road race - 6 times 5 km lap ca. 500 ft vertical climb each lap. while killing myself on the hill I asked myself "what for?" Admittedly a bad time for such a question, but I really wondered what drove me and for that matter other people my age to continue their competitve "folly". I'm trying to make sense out of this so that I could rationalize either continued masochism or an easier life.
Any psychologists out there that can help?
Old 07-31-05, 10:44 AM

Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by berts
i just finished (2nd place) in a short but difficult road race - 6 times 5 km lap ca. 500 ft vertical climb each lap. while killing myself on the hill I asked myself "what for?" Admittedly a bad time for such a question, but I really wondered what drove me and for that matter other people my age to continue their competitve "folly". I'm trying to make sense out of this so that I could rationalize either continued masochism or an easier life.
Any psychologists out there that can help?
Age is irrelevant when it comes to a competitive sprit. I cycle solely to compete, and I am 65. John Sinibaldi, age 91, recently flew all the way to Utah from Florida simply to contest the time trial national championships? Why does a two-time Olympian, member of the cycling hall of fame, etc., etc., compete? For the love and thrill of competition. He certainly has nothing to prove to anyone - including himself. The psychologists are too busy attending to their curtain-climbing, dysfunctional, hyper-active kids to attend to you. You'll be fine! BTW, congratulations on your second place.
Old 07-31-05, 11:14 AM
Roadie

Bikes: kestrel

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My definition of competition -
A contest between rivals where the winner usually stands to gain something.

Thus by definition serious competitors are trying to prove something, ie, that they are better than their fellow competitors and to earn recognition of their prowess.

I never considered myself to be very competitive, but being a relatively strong cyclist always found myself in competitve events - just for the ride and a great way to improve my riding skills.

Your right skydive, it's got nothing to do with age, it's in the blood.

thanks for your well wishes and good luck to you in future events. Our season is winding down with only 2 more events this season. I'm looking forward to improving my performance next year.
Old 07-31-05, 12:04 PM

Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by berts
My definition of competition -
A contest between rivals where the winner usually stands to gain something.

Thus by definition serious competitors are trying to prove something, ie, that they are better than their fellow competitors and to earn recognition of their prowess.

I never considered myself to be very competitive, but being a relatively strong cyclist always found myself in competitve events - just for the ride and a great way to improve my riding skills.

Your right skydive, it's got nothing to do with age, it's in the blood.

thanks for your well wishes and good luck to you in future events. Our season is winding down with only 2 more events this season. I'm looking forward to improving my performance next year.
Competition seems to be an inherent trait in man. We have found every conceivable way and means to compete against one another. In that it is illegal in most civilizations to bat someone over the head and take their woman and possessions, we must find other outlets for our natural tendencies (aggression). Those that do not have those tendencies would undoubtedly have been at the losing end of the aforementioned skirmishes, and through natural selection would not have had a promising future. In that natural selection did work to a large extent, many of us apparently find the outlet of competition our current means to manifest our aggressions. Others simply make war, chase false idols and blow themselves up. Of course some have survived due to a strong intellect - a seemingly rare commodity.

Yes, it is assuredly in the blood my good man. Tear them up in your remaining events. I have 12 competitions scheduled in late October through the first week of December, and I have no intention of losing! I love those endorphins!!
Old 08-01-05, 01:16 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I no longer race, but have concentrated on the longer enduro type rides. Nice easy riding, but 65 miles offroad up against a bunch of youngsters still takes some fitness and stamina to finish. Part of my training for this is to go through the pain barrier at certain parts of my normal rides. I cannot sprint for long distances, but those steep inclines for 200 to 400yards are taken at full speed. They hurt and I often wonder why I keep doing them. The legs fall apart, the lungs are bursting, and at times the body falls apart, particularly on the 4th or 5th sprint of the ride. As I have said, I cannot sprint for long distances, so the long drags uphill are taken at a pace, that will put me somewhere near 90 to 95% of my maximum HR for extended periods. Why do I do it. They hurt.

The reason is to extend my basic fitness and stamina. My thought when it starts to hurt is that there must be a flat bit soon, or even a downhill, so that lung bursting effort I am putting in now, will have its recompense. Problem, all I have been able to do by my 30 seconds or so of effort, is to stay with the fit 30 year olds, and the next few miles are taken by them at a fair pace, with me hanging on the back. Till the next short sharp hill When those of half my age have to really push themselve to stay in front of that old man that will not go away. Competitive-- NO, but I do like to make others know that they do have a hard job to stay in front of me.

Last edited by stapfam; 08-01-05 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-01-05, 01:27 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
I didn't have what it takes to race when I was 20, but 35 years later ...

I still don't.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 08-07-05, 09:04 PM

Bikes: 2005 Seven Odonata (DuraAce /Reynolds),1983 Trek 950 (Mavic/Suntour/Regina), 1986 Stumpjumper Shimano/Suntour/Regina), 1986 MASI 3V, (Campy/Mavic/Regina) 1995 Schwinn LeTour (Suntour/Wienmann/Phil/Shimano/Regina): All Brooks Saddles

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Eat, race, eat, train then eat some more. What a life! My non-biking friends think I'm a screwball, but I outgrew golf many years ago. Plus my wife likes what bike racing does to my physique. But the real reason (besides eating), EGO!

sun