Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Photos from when we were young..

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 06-12-24, 08:08 AM
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Liked 1,097 Times in 499 Posts

This popped up on my Facebook feed. 1990. Just graduated college. Backpacking with friends through Europe before leaving them to go watch the Tour de France. This is near Bruges, Belgium. I'm on the right with the Nike windbreaker, flip up shades, and the fly fade.

I remember trying to chase down a guy on a race bike with aerobars. My friend Narinder remembers us stopping to help a couple of college girls who were having trouble with their rental bikes. He says that we bumped into them later. I don't remember that at all.

Post photos of the good ole days!
Insta: JohnMichaelFlores | TikTok: @johnnymotoflores
Likes For john m flores:
Old 06-12-24, 10:49 AM

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Liked 1,013 Times in 497 Posts
Are you the one with the Kid N Play haircut?

Edit: No judgment from me - I sported the Vanilla Ice haircut for a year or so...

Last edited by Jughed; 06-12-24 at 11:02 AM.
Likes For Jughed:
Old 06-12-24, 11:12 AM
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Liked 940 Times in 489 Posts
Summer of 1993 (29 years old, Cat 3 racer). I'm on the left. Touring for a week through the Adirondacks with my boss on right and mutual friend in middle. This is probably in Lake Placid. Spent a week debating getting divorced. The next ten years after this photo were my least bicycle mileage as I spent most of my time on motorcycles. So you know what my decision was.

Two great memories from this trip: 1) We kept leap-frogging a couple touring on a Harley. The third time I said to the guy I was considering getting one. He said "do it, you won't regret it". He was right. I bought one two weeks after getting home. 2) Eating in a diner and a song came on that I never heard. The middle guy says to me "what?? this is Gary U.S. Bonds! This is a great song!" (Young Girl get out of my mind...). haha
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 06-12-24, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jughed
Are you the one with the Kid N Play haircut?

Edit: No judgment from me - I sported the Vanilla Ice haircut for a year or so...
LOL the hightop fade was popular around then but it did really break through with Kid N Play. This 'do was for my college graduation. My roommate did it.

No judgement taken. We're good.

Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
Summer of 1993 (29 years old, Cat 3 racer). I'm on the left. Touring for a week through the Adirondacks with my boss on right and mutual friend in middle. This is probably in Lake Placid. Spent a week debating getting divorced. The next ten years after this photo were my least bicycle mileage as I spent most of my time on motorcycles. So you know what my decision was.

Two great memories from this trip: 1) We kept leap-frogging a couple touring on a Harley. The third time I said to the guy I was considering getting one. He said "do it, you won't regret it". He was right. I bought one two weeks after getting home. 2) Eating in a diner and a song came on that I never heard. The middle guy says to me "what?? this is Gary U.S. Bonds! This is a great song!" (Young Girl get out of my mind...). haha
Nice memories. Whenever I go up to Lake Placid I wonder how they managed to hold the Winter Olympics up there. Some nice roads up in the Adirondacks. I've motorcycled many of them.

Also, that helmet on the right...Avenir? That was the new generation of soft shell helmets that replaced the hard shell of the Bell style helmets with a light fabric cover. I remember seeing ads for them in Bicycling. I think that I had a Pro-Tec.
Likes For john m flores:
Old 06-12-24, 06:13 PM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Liked 1,393 Times in 811 Posts

Me on far left with my bike. Hackensack, NJ circa 1956.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 06-13-24, 04:58 AM

Liked 16,510 Times in 7,741 Posts
Young-ish.

July 4, 1999, somewhere in ND while riding across the country. I was wearing my red, white and blue. I remember the only store en route was closed. We stopped along the side of the road for a break. In only a few minutes noticed a half dozen wood ticks crawling on my legs.

Later, in rural IL, a couple of us stopped at a school that was having Saturday extra curricular classes in search of water. A teacher begged us to talk to her student about the world of possibilities out there. It was very hot and humid, and we had nearly a 100 mile day, so we didn't really want to, but we did anyway. The children mailed us thank you notes General Delivery to Bowling Green, OH, where we had a day off.

This was at the start of a two-day charity ride during the mid-90s. My two team mates bagged because of the difficulty.

Nice form on the second day of Cycle Oregon 2002. Two summits of over 6,000' that day. We crossed the entire state in 6 days of riding. With the long (117 mile) option on the third day, I average around 93 miles/day.

Last edited by indyfabz; 06-13-24 at 05:08 AM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-13-24, 06:54 AM

Liked 1,730 Times in 815 Posts
I had some wonderful pics of a bike camping tour of Nova Scotia I took back in the late 70s, along with pictures of my first Crit race back when I lived in Massachusetts.
Sadly, those pics were from the "bring the roll of film to PhotoMat and pick the prints up in 3 days" time, and a flooded basement destroyed the photo albums.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 06-13-24, 03:20 PM

Liked 16,510 Times in 7,741 Posts
Logan Paas in Glacier National Park, 1999.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-13-24, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
I had some wonderful pics of a bike camping tour of Nova Scotia I took back in the late 70s, along with pictures of my first Crit race back when I lived in Massachusetts.
Sadly, those pics were from the "bring the roll of film to PhotoMat and pick the prints up in 3 days" time, and a flooded basement destroyed the photo albums.

Oh man that really sucks. Hopefully you have fond memories
Old 06-14-24, 06:43 PM

Bikes: Indeed!

Liked 3,601 Times in 1,166 Posts
Back when the world was all black and white:

By 1978 color had been invented:

Brent

Likes For obrentharris: