Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

B17 - Where do I get Proofhide

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-05, 09:20 PM
Jer. 29:11

Bikes: Gary Fisher Superfly, Bianchi Axis, Trek Madone 5.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My B17 came from Nashbar but there is no Proofhide with it. Should I put it on anyway and ride until I can get some or wait until I apply a coat? Where do I get it?
Follow me on Twitter @michiganbiking and @michigandermike
Bikes: '09 Gary Fisher Superfly, '08 Trek Madone 5.5, '05 Bianchi Axis
Old 08-12-05, 09:26 PM
Embrace the weirdness.

Bikes: Motobecane

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It doesn't come with the saddle, you have to purchase it separately. Nashbar has it, a tin is $7.95.

I don't think it will hurt your Brooks to be ridden on without Proofide for the few days it will take to get it, unless you're planning to be riding in the rain.
Old 08-13-05, 07:25 AM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
An LBS should have it if they carry Brooks saddles, and I agree that you shouldn't worry about riding, just use it when you get it.

It is basically a mixture of waxes and oils for protection of the saddle. A few rides with it should be no more harmful than the shipping, and sitting on a rack at the LBS.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 08-13-05, 09:00 AM
Badger Biker

Bikes: Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pcmike
My B17 came from Nashbar but there is no Proofhide with it. Should I put it on anyway and ride until I can get some or wait until I apply a coat? Where do I get it?
I bought my B-17 from Nashbar and it came in a box with a small can of Proofhide and a wrench for adjustments.
Old 08-13-05, 12:47 PM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
When I looked, they offered either the saddle alone, or as a kit with the wrench & Proofide. In general it is a seperate purchase most times.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 08-14-05, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Grant Petersen at Rivendell is a Brooks nut, and he's written quite a bit on care and feeding of leather saddles. Proofhide (which he sells at www.rivbike.com, if you strike out everywhere else) should be used only once or twice a year, no more. He advises against gooping it on heavily--a light coat on top and maybe a slightly heavier one on the bottom (to deflect spray if you don't have fenders) is plenty.
Riding without it won't hurt anything, certainly not for the short time it will take you to find some. I have three B-17s and a Pro, and the Pro got NOTHING on it for the first six or eight years--I got it at a going-out-of-business sale for a couple of bucks and I didn't know Proofhide existed. Even here in the desert (Reno), it did fine. Since I found out you're supposed to treat them, I've been using Proofhide lightly in spring and, if I think of it, in fall. No probs in four to 12 years, depending on the saddle.