Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

First Ride

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-05, 04:32 PM
just over the next hill

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got 2 Fuji Tahoe's 1990 from a friend today. They have been hanging in their garage
unused for over 4 years and little use before that. $50 each.

These are perfect for my wife and me for family outings. When I get some legs and wind I
will be looking for a road bike to go further distances.

We live in a hilly area on the Missouri river. I rode it for about a mile today and was
bushed. I plan on riding this route and building strength. This seems to be great exercise.

My first addition would be toe clips. A speedometer/odometer would be interesting to
have also.

And of course a helmet.
Old 08-15-05, 04:43 PM
Burnt Orange Blood

Bikes: Trek 7200, Lashout Electric Bike, Raleigh Talon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The legs and wind will come, more quickly than you may think. Congratulations and enjoy!
Old 08-15-05, 06:11 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
What a great deal!! Good luck with the riding!
Old 08-15-05, 06:56 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
WOW - your friend have anything else in his garage?
Old 08-15-05, 07:13 PM
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That pink bike is stylin'. Enjoy your ride!
Old 08-16-05, 05:03 AM

Bikes: Trek 1000C WSD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have fun!! I like having my little computer thing on my bike - I can read speed, miles, totals, it even tells me what the temp is outside. As Longhorn said, the legs and wind will come - mine are coming slowly. As they say here, just get out and ride.
Kathy in NJ
Old 08-16-05, 09:02 AM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Congratulations on your first ride. That was the hardest part!

My first ride 2+ years ago was about 0.7 miles on a flat loop around the block, and I was wondering if it was normal to be that tired that quickly. It didn't take long before I considered 10 miles a short ride. This Sunday, I started out late, and the temp/humidity caused me to cut my ride short. I only lasted 16 miles. I have only been riding once or twice a week this year, but looking to pick it up!

Welcome to the world of cycling.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 08-16-05, 12:47 PM

Bikes: Schwinn Super Le Tour, Specialized Rockhopper 05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't forget gloves to go with the helmet. Road surffing on your hands hurts, I know.

Joe
Old 08-16-05, 07:25 PM
just over the next hill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today on my second ride, I thought I would take an easier route. I forgot how many hills were on the way to a nearby park. I guess the hills are good for me. I probably went about the same distance. 1 mile.

As I get to the bottom of a hill I shift to the lower front ring giving me the lowest gears to make it up. When I get to the flat or top of a hill I shift the middle front ring. Allowing a little more speed if I want to use it. I am just coasting though most of the time down hills.

I went to a bike store for lunch and noticed the price of helmets. $100 for the cool ones and $20 for about the same from a newbie viewpoint color wasn't quite as fancy.
Is there really that much difference in quality? It seems all helmets would have to pass
some sort of safety test.

What is the bike computer? Is it like a GPS receiver?
Old 08-16-05, 07:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would suggest a computer too. Makes rides much more interesting. It is just a speedometer and odometer but also tells you your average speed,top speed, ride time and stuff like that, that helps you build your strength by seeing how you improve with time!!
Old 08-16-05, 07:44 PM

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know about what is cool or not. I ride at 5:30 each morning before the fashion police are out. What I do know is that a lid is essential. Buy one and wear it!!
Old 08-17-05, 12:49 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cruzMOKS
I went to a bike store for lunch and noticed the price of helmets. $100 for the cool ones and $20 for about the same from a newbie viewpoint color wasn't quite as fancy.
Is there really that much difference in quality? It seems all helmets would have to pass
some sort of safety test.
Helmets can be expensive, and there are various styles, prices and quality.The more expensive ones will have better styling, but a cheap one will do the job. The more expensive ones will have a better fitting system and hopefully be of a better quality, but the main thing is, the helmet must be comfortable. Try on the expensive one to find out how it feels. Then go to a price you can afford, and try on others until the one feels comfortable and is the right colour. I am one of those that normally spends around $100 on a helmet, but on my last helmet choice I went for one at half the price and is probably the most comfortable one I have ever worn.
Old 08-19-05, 07:46 AM
just over the next hill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bought helmet $14 at Walmart
gloves web back and cut out tips
bike computer. I'll enjoy this because I like to play with statistics.

They told me when I bought the bike that there was a problem flat that may have a bur. When I took out the tube to test the hole was by the stem. Bought 2 new tubes one I inserted with tire wedges. A much better way then screwdrivers which I had done before. I inspected the rim and could not find any problem with it. Tested tire by running a tissue along the inside of tire, it did not snag.

Bike running good. Now I have to build up my strength.
Old 08-19-05, 08:04 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't forget a floor pump with a bultin pressure guage so you can pump up the tires atleast once a week to close to max psi listed on side of each tire.

When installing a new tube I coat the inside of the tire with baby powder to help avoid pinching the tube.

At some point, you might get a rear rack to hold that picnic basket....

Have fun.
Old 08-19-05, 09:19 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Flats caused by the burs on the rim: check all the way around the rim, not just at the valve area. Any bur or snag can be sanded down with emory cloth. Tire changing kit should have the 3 plastic pieces that help you get the tire out without theat of puncture to the inner tube.

The better helmets have more air vents and thus better cooling. So if you ride for an hour or so, you will definitely want better ventilation, and you will want to pay for it. There's foam padding sometimes glued on to the inside of the helmet, sometimes velcro. That padding absorbs sweat and starts to deteriorate. Some riders will hose off the helmet to make sure the salt content doesn't remain on that padding, making the life of the pad shorter. Also when you get in shape, you tend to sweat more everywhere. That sweat will drip down into your eyes and cause burning. The tendency is to go buy some kind of head band to absorb the sweat, much like the tennis players use. This doesn't work well with helmets because that's a lot of material and when you bought the helmet, the fit was without that headband. Its the forehead part of the head that needs the sweat protection.

When you're older, you get cataracs and so sun glasses are a necessity, just like driving a car. Get ones that wrap around to the side. Prescription sun glasses won't wrap around. Its all about your prescription and mostly astigmatism.