Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How is this possible?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

How is this possible?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-05, 03:14 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How is this possible?

The post office is a 1.5 mile round trip by car. I decided to take the bike instead because it's a pretty day. When I got back thirty minutes later, my bike computer told me I'd gone 8.0 miles.

How can this be?

All I did was take a letter to the post office, oh, and take a short spin through the park, and over that cool bridge, and down that fun little bike trail on the edge of the canyon, and back through the park to the fountain, and up and over that freeway on the footbridge, and back home.

So now a trip to the post office is going to be 8 miles? Geesh!

PS: I also learned how a simple shoestring can YANK one back to reality in the midst of a good cycling daydream when it (the shoestring) gets caught wound around the crank and in the chain. Yowsa!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 08-22-05, 03:29 PM
Burnt Orange Blood

Bikes: Trek 7200, Lashout Electric Bike, Raleigh Talon

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
According to weather.com, at 12:26 p.m. PT in San Diego, it was 70 degrees with 70 percent humidity. I am so jealous!

Your 1.5-mile ride sounds absolutely wonderful! Thanks for sharing it with me. I'll try to visualize it as I go hop on the elliptical. (It's 101 here right now with a heat index of 108!)
Old 08-22-05, 04:01 PM

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Digital Gee,
Your postal ride sounds wonderful. The weather here is finally breaking today. Tonight will be in the low 60"s, wow fall is coming!!
I also read about your staircase fiasco. You and I think alike except I believe I would have ridden rather than walked down the steps. The results probably would have been worse than yours.
I find small rides with my 9 year old daughter are great for random distance riding. All unplanned, sort of a lets take this way and now try this road. We get back and have put on 5-7 miles and what's more I love riding with both my children. It's very slow but great fun