Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Is less then 10 miles worth it ? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/136375-less-then-10-miles-worth.html)

Litespeed 09-06-05 08:24 AM

Is less then 10 miles worth it ?

Sometimes I will get in my biking clothes, shoes etc. and just go for a short 10 mile bike ride. Does anyone think that is just to short a ride to bother with ? :rolleyes:

jabike 09-06-05 08:39 AM

Anytime I can be on my bike it is worth it. I would think that any ride that is in excess of 30 minutes would be considered "worth it" as a part of your physical exercise regimen.

sentinel 09-06-05 08:40 AM

I agree, any time you can ride and for any distance is what counts. There are too many on this forum who think if you can't do a century then what good is it to ride?

jabike 09-06-05 08:58 AM

One more thought, Litespeed, my wife and I decided to make it a long, car-less weekend. I went to the grocery store a couple of times - only a three mile round trip. We went out to dinner twice - less than 10 miles for each trip. Somehow, I feel that all of these trips were worth it.

PaulH 09-06-05 09:41 AM

Ten miles is about as long as I ever ride. Beyond that, it is usually more convenient to drive there. Maybe you should buy a backup bike that does not require changing clothes and use it only for short trips?

Paul

Digital Gee 09-06-05 09:55 AM

My typical week day ride is ten miles. Longer might be nicer, but there often isn't time. It still feels like I've exercised, stretched out, worked the heart and lungs, etc. Of course, my longest ride is still only 32 miles. One thing I like to remind myself is that every ten mile ride is an hour LESS TV, given the time it takes to put on the shoes, fill the water, take the ride, put the bike away, etc. that I'd probably have been watching. So yes, ten miles is definately worth it!

jppe 09-06-05 09:55 AM

This is just for me-I love to ride but I need 20-25 miles minimum to make it worthwhile.

If it's a long climb and you're out on the bike for at least an hour then it might be. If it's just flat to rolling, the only time I do that is to get some blood going in the legs for an upcoming event.

backinthesaddle 09-06-05 10:36 AM

I ride 5-10 miles each morning before work, sure I'd like to ride longer, but that's all the time I have, and I definitely get a workout.

p8rider 09-06-05 11:07 AM

Like others, I take a 10 mile ride most mornings. It's my morning excersize. It has made a big difference in my being able to take longer rides. Perhaps if you are already in great shape a 10 mile ride can help you to maintain. Takes me about 38-40 minutes depending upon me or the lights.

cyclezen 09-06-05 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Litespeed
Sometimes I will get in my biking clothes, shoes etc. and just go for a short 10 mile bike ride. Does anyone think that is just to short a ride to bother with ? :rolleyes:

Not sure of your Q?

a? is it worth doing 10 miles?
b? is it worth 'suiting up' for a 10 mile ride?

b) 1st... if I;m goin shoppin or to the library itz only about 8 miles RT, I generally wear comfy shorts with pockets, for convenience... makes for more room in the bags for carryin stuff. Livin on the CA central coast means I get to wear shorts year-round and with some layers for tops in the winter.

a) is 10 miles worth doin? as exercise and anything else goes? my wife is coming back into cycling after a LONG hiatus and after considerable weight gain. Used to be she would ride 40-50 mile rides with me through some very hilly country - but that was back when. I distinctly remember the day/ride when she was 4 1/2 months pregnant with our 1st child; Irene finally announced she was no longer doin the long distances cause the top tube of her bike was irritating her belly after about 25 miles. :) But that was back some 24 years ago.
My own re-entry of about a year ago has finally spurred her to also get back 'in'. Its been about 2 months, and she started with 5 - 6 milers and was quite sore. She's now up to 15 milers and not as sore.
She now does a number of trips on her own to some local group meetings she attends. Otherwise I ride with her whenever I can talk her into one. We try to ride at least 3x a week.
ridin - even if we only get to do 3 miles cause of time or whatever - its always worth it.
the only reason it might not be worth worth ridin, are those times when I need a good walk or hike...

DnvrFox 09-06-05 12:04 PM

Exactly why I have two road bikes. I hate the time getting "suited up" for a short ride. One bike has all the doodads - clipless, etc., and cost a lot of money. The other I call my utility roadie, which I got new on EBay for $285. It has a rack and a pannier, toe clips w/platforms, etc. I ride this on short rides (like up to 20 miles) when I just want to jump on and go, using whatever shorts I am wearing at the time and whatever tennies or sandals I have on.

Just came back from 17 miles in exactly that fashion. I also use this for trips to the store, etc., and can put two panniers on if desired and I have a fold-up back pack I store in the panniers, so I can carry a lot if I want.

Incidentally, I got two very nice brand new but older (1992) Blackburn front Panniers for $17 on EBay recently. They are great - well constructed. I put them on the back rack.

RabidCyclist 09-06-05 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by sentinel
There are too many on this forum who think if you can't do a century then what good is it to ride?

Well..thats probably not a good characterization of most of us who can and do ride centuries. To us, ten miles isn't very challenging particularly to get all suited up to ride. But for those who are just getting into cycling, recovering from whatever, or just like the lesiurely ride through the park, it's all good. And yeah, you'll see us talking (bragging?) about our last century. But why not? On this forum, at our age, it's something to be proud of. Thats why I like this over 50 forum. There's something here for everybody.

ctyler 09-06-05 01:29 PM

Any ride is worth it.

KeithA 09-06-05 01:53 PM

I agree with everyone here.

I actually have three bikes, but two of which I use more frequently.

My second bike, a Jamis hybrid is the one I usually use. It just has regular pedals, so all I have to do is throw on some shorts, a t-shirt, and my head protection and I'm ready to fly out my door for a short 6-10 mile spin along the creek.

It gets me out for a little fun and unwinding from work. If I didn't do it, I'd probably just do some idle tv watching and scarf down some food. I come back stress relieved and energized.

cooker 09-06-05 01:56 PM

No, but it may be too short a ride to bother dressing for.
Robert

cyclezen 09-06-05 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by KeithA

My second bike, a Jamis hybrid is the one I usually use. It just has regular pedals, so all I have to do is throw on some shorts, a t-shirt, and my head protection and I'm ready to fly out my door for a short 6-10 mile spin along the creek.

Yeah, back to the Q - 'suitin up'
I also have an older Miyata "mountain bike" (only by appearance) that is setup for shoppin, cruisin, bangin around. Itz a bit heavy of a basher (43 lbs as config'd) but itz less likely to get stolen or even looked at. I think the key is "regular" pedals (as in quill). On mine I put these shorty toeclips which help position the foot nicely, but also allow me to bang around the area wearin slaps.
Not havin to put on cycling shoes with cleats makes it easy to just roll out and up the road for a 'quikie' without any thought to other stuff - - - - but I do like to have a pr of cycling gloves on when doin more than an errand to the shop center or Post Office - just a funny quirk I guess.

va_cyclist 09-06-05 03:23 PM

I think for ten miles or less I wouldn't bother with the cycling clothes, I'd just get on and go with whatever I was wearing. But any ride is better than no ride at all.

fmw 09-06-05 06:16 PM

I ride 10-15 miles each morning. I ride hard and make a real workout out of it. Great exercise. I feel better than I did when I was a mere 50 year old and didn't ride at all.

gew0419 09-06-05 06:32 PM

worth it? Of course!!! Here's my morning.
get up
make coffee
drink coffee
read a little
make my lunch
get the bike out
load it
ride 4 miles to work
before I started riding regularly it was the same except I drove the 4 miles
the car didn't even get warmed up and every two weeks I was filling up the tank
not to mention the trips to oil can henery's to change oil and stuff
now...no trips to the gas station and I like that
under ten miles has been really worth it to me
not to mention the ten pounds that I don't have on my body any more

cyclezealot 09-06-05 06:42 PM

I need a shower anything over a 5 mile ride it seems. I sweat easily...So you have to get dressed, check out the bike. ride, clean up. wash smelly bike clothes.
nah..I demand at least 18 miles..Which is my commute to work...
For errands about town.that might be a two mile commute..exercise, doubt it.saves gasoline.thats good. but exercise..for such micro rides..I usually wear street clothes. but unless it is cold out, I still get sweaty..
so. A 15 mile minumum to call it a 'ride.'

bnet1 09-07-05 06:27 AM

Anytime on the bike is time well spent. Having gone 'bent this past year I require nothing more than some comfortable shorts and a poly shirt (padded shorts are no longer necessary). Street shoes (hiking shoes) work fine as I use Power Grip straps on the pedals. Basically the same gear and clothing for a 15-18 mile work commute or a short 3 mile jaunt to the grocery/drug store. Time on the bike is my time to unwind, get some fresh air, and a little bit of exercise. Any time spent on the bike is good time.

Little Darwin 09-07-05 08:16 AM

I don't know that I would get on cycling specific clothes for 10 miles, but as long as you are good with it, why does our opinion matter? ;) Enjoy the ride! :D

I have taken 1-2 mile rides to check out a bike's adjustment etc, but I rode in street clothes. I felt better having been on the bike anyway!

rule 09-07-05 09:00 AM

Some of the best rides that I do are less than 10 miles. Just kick back, relax, and pedal. ;)

balto charlie 09-07-05 02:40 PM

20 miles or less I tend to wear whatever I have on, shorts and a T, over 30 I wear the lycra, 20-30 is a crapshoot. Often I start a short ride and 40 miles later I'm all sweaty, cotton underware chafing my thighs and think what an idiot I am.

jfz 09-08-05 10:16 AM

I think it's worth it, I do it every day! 10 miles to work, rest eight hours and 10 miles home!