Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Cat 5 Upgrade? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/136728-cat-5-upgrade.html)

jimmat 09-07-05 11:46 AM

Cat 5 Upgrade?

OK, Im 54 and have just completed my return to competitive road racing. It has been a good building year and I have been competitive in the Cat 5 races but no wins, places or shows; just solid in the pack and able to work for the team. I have enough races this year to upgrade to Cat 4 so I could do some age group stuff. Most of my experienced team mates think I should stay in Cat 5 for another year, their logic is summed up as "...would you rather be at the back of the Cat 4 races or in front of the Cat 5s..." I havn't brought up the age group stuff yet. One thing I have heard is that the age groups are safer but super fast. So any feed back will be appreciated.

cyclezen 09-09-05 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by jimmat
OK, Im 54 and have just completed my return to competitive road racing. It has been a good building year and I have been competitive in the Cat 5 races but no wins, places or shows; just solid in the pack and able to work for the team. I have enough races this year to upgrade to Cat 4 so I could do some age group stuff. Most of my experienced team mates think I should stay in Cat 5 for another year, their logic is summed up as "...would you rather be at the back of the Cat 4 races or in front of the Cat 5s..." I havn't brought up the age group stuff yet. One thing I have heard is that the age groups are safer but super fast. So any feed back will be appreciated.

Not real clear on 'who' you are. Are you a 'vet' age rider who can ride 35+, 45+ 55+ age groups and chooses to race Seniors Cat 5?
The age graded groups can be very competitive and are usually loaded with very competitive types and can be as strenuous as many senior races. Clarification - senior - does not refer to the gray panthers, rather adult riders in the over 18 to under 35 age range. Vet classes are also generally less crash prone attritbuted to more experienced rider fields.
Not having had Cat 5 when I was that age group, I can only make a few race observations based on what I've seen. The Cat 5 races seem less 'considered' in moves that are made. Some seem just the release of pent-up adrenalin.
Whether you stay or upgrade is your decision. But, if the reason you haven't placed high yet is not being in the right position for field finishes.ow Or you still need to sharpen your positioning abilities during the entire race, then, staying Cat 5 and concentrating on honeing those skills specifically, would be a good move.
The only real lessons one learns at the tail end of any field is 1) how important it is to stay in the front 3rd of the peleton. 2) how importan it is to stay in the front of the peleton.