Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Meditation and cyclists

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Meditation and cyclists

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-05, 11:33 PM
Roadie

Bikes: kestrel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Meditation and cyclists

I have started a form of meditation about 2 years ago and am still developing the "art".

I wonder how many other cyclists from our generation are involved in some sort of meditation.
Old 07-22-05, 12:55 AM

Bikes: Giant Yukon MTB ex-EBay planning to upgrade one day if I get the urge.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes
Old 07-22-05, 05:59 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by berts
I have started a form of meditation about 2 years ago and am still developing the "art".

I wonder how many other cyclists from our generation are involved in some sort of meditation.
Not specifically, but on my long, nature-oriented (Away from traffic on a beautiful uncrowded bicycle path) easier rides, I approach something like meditation.
Old 07-22-05, 06:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started meditating about twenty years ago. The best means of centering I have ever found is the Rajneesh mirror meditation utilizing biofeedback between the eyes and a candle. With practice, this meditation eventually brings the wandering mind to absolute center. The effect is startling and profound; real meditative absorption with insight can then progress.
Old 07-22-05, 07:45 AM
Bye Bye

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm not in the 50+ category... but I aspire (yes, aspire, try, want, wish) to sit zazen. It comes and goes throughout the year, depending on the seasons...

Comparing to other things would defeat the purists and anyone serious about Zen, but I find there is a similarity to cycling - especially spinning hills or putting my head down in the big ring on a flat. I didn't realize until sitting at the Zen center one afternoon that I would mentally count my cadence or my breaths while riding, very similar to beginners' exercises to control thoughts and breathing.
Old 07-22-05, 08:54 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been doing Transcendental Meditation for more than thirty years. Before I began I suffered from headaches and constipation. Both went away within a couple of months, and have never recurred. More important, since beginning to meditate I've done most of the adventurous, life-affirming things that I value, including cycling.

Serenity is tricky to define, though, as it is to achieve: most people would say I'm as big a pain in the ass as ever.
Old 07-22-05, 08:55 AM
Calamari to go

Bikes: Trek 750

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've always refered to my bike rides as my "rolling meditation."
I focus on breathing while riding. I try to put my focus on the "now", fully mindful of the present and everything around me. Works best on solo rides.

Out side of riding, I do Ki breathing leaned in Aikido. Also visulization excercises. Sometimes do guided meditations with others, but not often.
Old 07-25-05, 11:33 AM
Roadie

Bikes: kestrel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started practicing Falun Gong. The physical practice includes 5 exercises the last of which is a sitting meditation in lotus position for one hour. It seems to provide some kind of benefit which I may describe most succinctly as increased "inner strength". Ability to practice seems not to have any relation to actual physical strength however after practicing, physical strength seems to improve.
Getting back to biking, it seems to me that biking presents the opportunity to practice "rolling meditation" and in fact this may be one of the factors attracting bikers to bike and the desire to meditate or remove oneself from reality may in fact be a common character of many cyclists. Riding up a 6% grade at 15 mph today I concentrated on nothing in particular and attempted to remove the thoughts of suffering, which I successfully did for a couple of minutes. Should I be able to do this for several hours - who knows TDF 2008 here I come- at the age of 57. Of course pure meditation should not be related to such banal objectives.
Old 07-25-05, 04:17 PM
...about your childhood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went to a Vipanassa Yoga retreat 20 years ago. That was 10 days of meditation for 8 hours a day. The first 2 days were brutal. Then it became much easier. By the time the 10th day arrived, I didn't want to leave.

I have since returned to Pune, India 4 times for similar retreats.

I can't say that I meditate every day. But I do practice it at least once a week for an hour.

I wouldn't call it an art though.
Old 07-25-05, 07:56 PM

Bikes: C'dale - R600 / Santana tandem / Giant MB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry guys but I personally think this 'off topic' subject would best be placed on a "Religions of the World" cycling forum.

Ohio
Old 07-25-05, 08:41 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ohiorider
Sorry guys but I personally think this 'off topic' subject would best be placed on a "Religions of the World" cycling forum.

Ohio
Ah, but meditation does not equal religion. Two different beasts. So to speak.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 07-25-05, 08:50 PM
Life is simply timing...

Bikes: Kona Cinder Cone (2005) / Cannondale T700 Touring (1994)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ohiorider

Ohio
Sorry Ohiorider but I have to agree with some of the other posters. When I reflect upon my life as a cyclist AND a meditator, the BEST cycling and the BEST meditation occurred together. It was as if they were driving each other. The more I cycled the more I meditated; the more I meditated, the more I cycled. And as I progressed, expanded in each of these very personal disciplines, I reached a state that I can only describe as a calmness in my soul. So for me, and obviously many others, meditation and cycling are interconnected, and thus a VERY relevant topic in this forum. This is NOT religion but just one state of being human...
Old 07-25-05, 10:11 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Me too. The meditation I practice has Hindu roots, but I'm not a Hindu by any means. And there is a connection between activities like cycling, running, backpacking, archery, etc. and the calm centeredness one seeks through meditation. foggydew described the interplay between meditation and cycling perfectly.
Old 07-26-05, 08:10 AM
Bye Bye

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well put.

I had an incredible summer last year cycling, meditating, and working in my shop. Everything seemed to compliment each other. Aspects of this life have become so interwoven that its not easy to seperate how working with my hands, cycling, meditating, and getting a good xc ski, snowshoe, or hike makes me feel.

Those feelings of being "in synch" come and go - but the more I do any of them, the more I realize life isn't easily put into little boxes - and training is life - be it a ride, a spiritual practice, or an artistic endeavor.

Life is grand here in the Green Mountain State...
Old 07-29-05, 01:09 PM
Batüwü Griekgriek

Bikes: 1986 Trek 500 Tri Series, 2005 Cannondale R1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree meditation and religion are 2 separate thingys - make yoga #3 on the list....I am too hyped and nervous these days to meditiate (a shame since that is exactly what I need!), but I am doing some simple beginner's yoga postures 4-5 days/week minimum and they have really helped, mentally, spiritually and physically - I can get much more aero on the bike. Just helps me get 'centered' on a regular basis...just my 2 cents.
Old 07-29-05, 02:21 PM
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For me it's not "Meditation and Cycling." It's "Meditation IS Cycling."
Old 08-01-05, 12:18 AM
Life is simply timing...

Bikes: Kona Cinder Cone (2005) / Cannondale T700 Touring (1994)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blackberry
For me it's not "Meditation and Cycling." It's "Meditation IS Cycling."
...or Cycling IS Meditation.
Old 08-06-05, 10:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This site describes a meditation that is not self-hypnotic (mantras and such). Anyone with problems like smoking ,drugs etc. can drop those easy without effort. Careful because this exercise pulls one back from being lost in feeling and thought and old forgotten traumas can bubble up. Thats actually a good things because that how they leave. Seeing them objectively without reacting to them renders them harmless and they just burn off.

https://mysite.verizon.net/chromotome1776/
Old 08-30-05, 10:37 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
I learned TM perhaps 33 years ago, and have practiced it off and on since then.

Road Fan Ken
Old 09-13-05, 12:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi There,I think meditation and bicycling can be parts of the same experience,if not that experience in itself. Just like when I used to motorcycle,that could also be a very meditative experience,partly because of the rapid hypnotic pulsing movement rushing by,but also because of the feeling of losing the sense of myself as I became the consciousness of that experience. I especially find it more meditative now when I am pedaling up a steep exhausting hill,because it is easier to forget my tired exertion as i become the experience of bicycling. Charles