Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Finally rode more than my age !!!!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-05, 11:49 AM
Pain ?? What Pain !!

Bikes: 2010 Felt F75

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

At the end of my second month riding a road bike.....did 57 miles today !!! Woo Hoo !!!
Not bad for a soon to be 53 year old. I'll be shooting for a century next season.
Old 09-18-05, 12:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow!!! Sensational, Kragg, and only your second month. I have little doubt that that century will be accomplished on your part. Great going!!!
Old 09-18-05, 12:04 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations! But tell us...was it a group ride? Solo? Planned or a whim? What advice do you have for others? Details, man!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 09-18-05, 02:06 PM
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
Very cool!

This riding longer and longer distances can get addicting.
Old 09-18-05, 06:19 PM
Old Woman on a Catrike

Bikes: Catrike 5.5.9., Trek Madone 5.2

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Terrific job! Congratulations.
Old 09-18-05, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shoot, I did that when I was 10 years old...
No, seriously, congratulations. That first 50-miler is a milestone, and it shows you're making progress. I've been tied up and sort of slacking off all summer, and I've committed to riding my age on my birthday--61 miles in January. Tragically, I live in Reno, so I'll probably have to go to San Diego or Hawaii or somewhere to do it.
Old 09-19-05, 10:22 AM
Pain ?? What Pain !!

Bikes: 2010 Felt F75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Congratulations! But tell us...was it a group ride? Solo? Planned or a whim? What advice do you have for others? Details, man!
It was solo. A planned Sunday ride. I actually started in May riding a MTB. I quickly knew
I wanted more range and speed, hence the road bike. Thanks for the nice words !!
Old 09-19-05, 12:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Scoreboard! Way to go!!!
Old 09-19-05, 10:02 PM
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kragg
At the end of my second month riding a road bike.....did 57 miles today !!! Woo Hoo !!!
Not bad for a soon to be 53 year old. I'll be shooting for a century next season.
Congratulations!

For those of us keeping score at home, does the feat have to be completed on the celebrant's birthday? Or somwhere there abouts? I ask, because I'm turning 51 in exactly one month. Will I need to ride that ride that day or can it wait a day or two to the weekend?

Take care!

Steve
Old 09-19-05, 10:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thats Great! You are ahead of me, my max ride so far is 31 miles. Keep it up!
Old 09-19-05, 11:06 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Congratulations Kragg! You're now a member of a very elite group of folks!!

I just turned 53 and started riding the same way you did just a couple years ago. I bought a Mtn bike and put 800 miles on it on the road over several months. I'm now on my 4th road bike and can't seem to get in enough miles!!

I hope you get the same satisfaction and enjoyment out of riding that I've come to enjoy!!
Old 09-20-05, 05:48 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by cheeseflavor
Congratulations!

For those of us keeping score at home, does the feat have to be completed on the celebrant's birthday? Or somwhere there abouts? I ask, because I'm turning 51 in exactly one month. Will I need to ride that ride that day or can it wait a day or two to the weekend?

Take care!

Steve
Here is an opportunity to set your own rules! Do as you like.

I'm 130 years old and ride my age weekly!

I can't wait until I am 150.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-20-05 at 08:03 AM.
Old 09-20-05, 01:07 PM
Improving every day!

Bikes: Trek Pilot 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Add me to this list! I turned 52 recently and bought my first road bike. I had been riding a hybrid and a comfort bike this year. I've lost over 45 lbs so far and am shooting for 35 more. After riding the new road bike 4 weeks, I did 55 miles on the Burke-Gilman/Sammamish River trail locally. Since then I attended my first event - the Century Headwaters in Enumclaw - and rode 45 miles on hills much bigger than I've ever attempted before. The climb out of Flaming Geyser was beyond what I thought I could do. I find bike riding the most enjoyable way possible to get exercise and lose weight!
Bill
Bellevue, WA
Old 09-20-05, 02:32 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill98006
Add me to this list! I turned 52 recently and bought my first road bike. I had been riding a hybrid and a comfort bike this year. I've lost over 45 lbs so far and am shooting for 35 more. After riding the new road bike 4 weeks, I did 55 miles on the Burke-Gilman/Sammamish River trail locally. Since then I attended my first event - the Century Headwaters in Enumclaw - and rode 45 miles on hills much bigger than I've ever attempted before. The climb out of Flaming Geyser was beyond what I thought I could do. I find bike riding the most enjoyable way possible to get exercise and lose weight!
Bill
Bellevue, WA
So aside from cycling, what are your weight loss secrets? What's your nutrition plan? What do you eat?

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 09-20-05, 03:38 PM

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Allow me to ***** at you a little:

When you first start riding you have pains everywhere. And you expect it to hurt. If it's saddle pains you'll have to change saddle for saddle until you find one that works for your individual backside.

But in your enthusiasm it's easy to start setting yourself new goals for every ride. And when you do that cycling starts to be come work instead of play.

Be careful to keep a lot of fun in it. Do a lot of 25 mile rides with friends with a coffee stop in the middle. Talk enjoy yourself. If you don't know any other riders join the local club that has people that are only a LITTLE faster than you.

I went through all this stuff and ended up climbing all of the local hard hills. It was so painful to me that I started fearing a ride instead of looking forward to it. I joined a local club and did the easy rides and progressed to the point that when I did the hard one it didn't hurt. Didn't FEEL GOOD mind you, but it didn't scare me to thing about afterwards.

I'm almost 61 now and I've never felt better in my life. And I owe it all to bicycling.
Old 09-20-05, 03:39 PM

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Read "Fat Man On A Bike" if his pictures don't kill your appetite nothing will.
Old 09-20-05, 04:16 PM
Improving every day!

Bikes: Trek Pilot 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
So aside from cycling, what are your weight loss secrets? What's your nutrition plan? What do you eat?
Gary,
I eat pretty much the same, just less of it. I very rarely have fast food any more (maybe once a month) and I've cut all my portions back. The idea is to make the change permanent, not a diet. I've almost completly eliminated snacks and no longer eat if I'm bored or stressed out.

Yes, I"m keeping cycling fun. Took the wife for a fun ride on Sunday - we rode the trail from Yelm, WA to Tenino and back. It was 28 miles of very gentle grades and we stopped for lunch in the middle of it. It was perfect weather that day, a perfect day for cycling. Since this trail is out of the way and not well known, we passed maybe 10-15 people in the whole 28 miles. Can't get much better than that. We took our time - averaged about 13 mph and that's fine by me!
Bill
Old 09-20-05, 04:22 PM
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on your achievement. I let my birthday get away on me this year. I intend to try next year though. I suppose it will be a mile longer ride though.