Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Rear View Mirrors: What's your experience? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/139747-rear-view-mirrors-whats-your-experience.html)

TysonB 09-21-05 07:18 PM

Get cheap glasses mount mirror and have someone help you learn the little tricks of using it. Then . . . "Don't leave home without it!"

Tyson

hiracer 09-23-05 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Goncalo Alves
I bought an "Aspire VeloTech" mirror that attaches to the drop bar end, go here for a good description with photos: http://www.aspirevelotech.com/Listings/Mirror.htm

He also sells them on Ebay, do a search for "road bike mirror" and you'll find it.

It works very well for me. It's meant to be mounted underneath your handlebar tape, but for now I have it attached with zip ties until I get around to re-wrapping my tape. This mirror is pretty inconspicuous, if you're image conscious. There's no vibration.

I added the mirror after being hit from behind by another rider last year. I came away with just bruises and a taco'd rear wheel, but she took an ambulance ride with a broken collarbone and lots of road rash.

Thanks. Just ordered two.

jimshapiro 09-23-05 07:08 PM

I bought an "Aspire VeloTech" mirror that attaches to the drop bar end, go here for a good description with photos: http://www.aspirevelotech.com/Listings/Mirror.htm

He also sells them on Ebay, do a search for "road bike mirror" and you'll find it.

It works very well for me. It's meant to be mounted underneath your handlebar tape, but for now I have it attached with zip ties until I get around to re-wrapping my tape. This mirror is pretty inconspicuous, if you're image conscious. There's no vibration.

I added the mirror after being hit from behind by another rider last year. I came away with just bruises and a taco'd rear wheel, but she took an ambulance ride with a broken collarbone and lots of road rash.

I just ordered one (to be followed by several more if I like it). Thanks a bunch.

Jim

seniorbiker 09-23-05 07:36 PM

Good topic, I beleive a mirror makes sense regardless of type. I have read where some of the more experienced bikers say you should learn to look back and avoid using a mirror. I think I'll stay with the mirror. As to type, my experience leans towards the helmet mount. And it goes with you on any bike. My mirror is about 2 inches to the side and about 2 inches out from my left eye. It has become second nature to use it. For awhile I had both the helmet mirror and a bar end. I don't reccommend this. In hectic situations I found myself trying to use both and neither effectively. I removed the bar end and relied on the helmet mount. In any event I beleive the mirror is an essential safety item.

chilly 09-23-05 07:39 PM

Bar end for me.

Paul W. 09-23-05 08:10 PM

I bought an "Aspire VeloTech" mirror that attaches to the drop bar end, go here for a good description with photos: http://www.aspirevelotech.com/Listings/Mirror.htm He also sells them on Ebay, do a search for "road bike mirror" and you'll find it.

I've been using one for several months. I LOVE IT and highly recommended it! It's great for road bikes. It won't work for a mountain bike, though.

flatlander_48 09-24-05 07:07 AM

Alternative Opinion:

When I used to ride many years ago, I don't remember anyone seriously using mirrors. When I came back to riding 4 years ago, it didn't occur to me to buy a mirror because I never had one before. I've been riding in Taiwan for over a year and a half. Several months ago I gave some thought to buying one, but decided not to. What I realized was that stuff happens SO quickly in front of you that anything that diverts your attention is not good. In theory you don't change lanes here much as there are separate scooter and bicycle lanes. In the time it takes to look back and refocus forwards it's real easy to run over a pot hole, stray dog (very mellow dogs here) or into an open car door.

bernmart 09-24-05 08:13 AM

With respect, cyclists are the only people who even consider doing without rear-view mirrors of some kind--car drivers (obviously) but even motorcyclists, and race-car drivers, for whom trouble ahead can also come up quickly, see such mirrors as basic equipment. Discussions about which kind of mirror is best, sure. But mirrors v. no mirrors? Why?

stapfam 09-24-05 12:44 PM

I have never used a mirror on a bike, but then I rarely ride on the road either. I can just imagine going down some of the offroad trails with a mirror attached to the bars. It would either fall off through vibration, get knocked off by a bush, or be shaking about so much, that It would not be usable in any case. Plus the fact that we Don't have a great necessity for looking behind us offroad. We know when we are about to be overtaken by another rider , by the noise of their wheels and crunching gears, the wheezing of the rider and that gentlemanly cry of on your left.

I am fortunate in that on the few occasions when I do ride on the road, it is rarely on main roads, so can generaly hear the cars coming, and will know they are there.Mind you I am not saying they are useless, it is just that I don't have a use for them. Even the Tandem that does do a few road rides has no use for a mirror. What is the point of carrying a person on the back, if they do not have the occasional thing to do besides put in the power when required.

flatlander_48 09-24-05 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by bernmart
With respect, cyclists are the only people who even consider doing without rear-view mirrors of some kind--car drivers (obviously) but even motorcyclists, and race-car drivers, for whom trouble ahead can also come up quickly, see such mirrors as basic equipment. Discussions about which kind of mirror is best, sure. But mirrors v. no mirrors? Why?

Not true. Sprint cars, midgets and Silver Crown cars don't have mirrors...

Dogbait 09-24-05 03:37 PM

I used a Bell helmet mirror for a short time but it was never in the right place...being attached to my head. I then used a Zefal bar end mirror which was alright but was obscured by my forearm when using the drops. I then tried the Blackburn mirror that mounts on the brake hood and it is the best so far. One added advantage is that it can be moved from one bike to another in about five seconds and it also works as well on the Bull Horn bars on my single speed as it does on the conventional drop bars on my other bikes. Here's a link to the mirror. Naturally, now that I have already bought one at full price, it is now on sale.

Blackburn Mirror

Dogbait

Spintogrin 09-25-05 07:09 AM

Glasses mount for me, bar mounts are too jittery for the kind of pavement I ride on at times.

One note you can't mount the glasses type on any pair of glasses. The temple section of the frame need to be flat or wire like - Oakley M type frames are too wide in this section and the mirror mount will not fit. Just one thing to consider. ;)

Wildwood 09-25-05 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee
I've been trying to perfect the technique of glancing over my left shoulder for on-coming traffic without drifting left, and I'm getting better, but I'm not as good as I'd like to be.

I vote that you keep on working on the "over the shoulder" glance. When you get a mirror this is still one of the best skills to master. AND don't ever get out of the habit of looking at the cars when needed, sometimes making eye contact with a motorist is the best way of signaling your intentions.

Lurch 09-26-05 01:13 PM

Eye contact with drivers is definitely useful. We've all seen the surprised looks on a driver's face when they suddenly become aware of our existence. Bike mirrors are definitely not as easy to use as those on cars. I think I use sound as much as sight to stay aware of other traffic. Still, I frequently glance back over my shoulder or under my arm, depending on how radical the bike's riding position is. With practice, this can, and should, be accomplished without changing course.

smoore 09-26-05 06:35 PM

Hmm, that doesn't look too dorky. However, I wonder if they couldn't be made so the mirror is even smaller?

Steve

cc_rider 09-26-05 08:31 PM

Tried helmet mounted mirrors and found them too distracting.
Use a bar-end mirror all the time. but I have it strapped vertical to the bar-end extensions attached to my flat bars, so it doesn't stick out too far.
The mirror keeps me aware of what is sneaking up from behind, but before I turn or change lanes, I turn my head to check.

Checking the mirror is such an ingrained habit that when I'm walking on the same trails I bike, I catch myself looking down to where my mirror should be.

netso 09-27-05 01:00 PM

I use the "Take A Look" mirror. Mounts on my sunglasses. Will not ride without it!!!!

bernmart 09-27-05 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by flatlander_48
Not true. Sprint cars, midgets and Silver Crown cars don't have mirrors...

What! You introduce information into an exchange of convictions and certainties? I guess this must not be the road forum! Of course, I am completely unswayed in my opinion. . . .

bernmart 09-29-05 12:48 AM

Damn, I didn't mean to kill the thread; it's actually been pretty interesting.

Longhorn 09-29-05 09:14 AM

I can't imagine doing my ride without my rear-view mirrors on my handlebar extensions, especially the left one. I glance at it all the time and I'm never surprised when a car comes up behind me. Knowing a car is coming affects my riding -- if a curve or hill is coming up, I'll sometimes slow down so the car can pass before it's unsafe or speed up and take the lane so it won't try to pass. The right mirror comes in handy on curves.

I also have a helmet mirror but I have a harder time focusing on it. However, I've noticed that it sort of extends my peripheral vision. I'll sense movement in that mirror and check it out in my extension mirror.

I honestly don't think I would commute on the routes I have to take without those mirrors.

Savas 09-29-05 04:07 PM

I like to take the middle of the road when traffic is way way back or non-existent. The mirror helps me keep an eye on changes. Different road materials and cars will cause an approach to be either audible or inaudible. Sometimes, one is in the distance and I'm ready for it, but then it turns off the road and isn't there. Sometimes, they turn onto the road I'm on and appear suddenly. Yes, there is nothing better than turning the head. But it's nice to avoid turning the head constantly. Newbies to mirrors need to be cautious of overdoing the looking back, forsaking looking ahead.

chipcom 09-29-05 06:42 PM

Looks to me like the drops have to be pretty much parallel to the ground for these to work. Any swivel adjustment available for those of us with less traditional positioning of our bars?

Cycliste 09-29-05 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by filtersweep
Amen to that- it is an engineering marvel- and it really doesn't vibrate. A great product.

Another vote for the "Take-a-Look". I tried several mirrors before, helmet mount, glass mount, bar mount and hated them all. Now I cannot ride without the T-a-L.

flatlander_48 09-29-05 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by bernmart
What! You introduce information into an exchange of convictions and certainties? I guess this must not be the road forum! Of course, I am completely unswayed in my opinion. . . .

True, we should never let reality get in the way of an opinion. That would be Unamerican!

Longhorn 09-30-05 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Longhorn
I also have a helmet mirror but I have a harder time focusing on it. However, I've noticed that it sort of extends my peripheral vision. I'll sense movement in that mirror and check it out in my extension mirror.

Update: As I wrote this earlier post, I remembered that I had ridden with the helmet mirror once when I could clearly see the scene behind me. So yesterday I adjusted the mirror by moving it slightly forward. Duh! My vision using the mirror was perfect! All this time, I thought because my LASIK adjusted my eyes for far vision, that I couldn't see very well with the mirror. Silly me! :o

So now I wholeheartedly recommend the helmet mirrors -- or at least the one I use, the Ultralite made out of recycled materials by a guy named Chuck Harris of Ohio. Most are sold through cycling associations, I believe -- that's how I got mine.