Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Back Riding After Arthroscopic Knee Surgery (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/141537-back-riding-after-arthroscopic-knee-surgery.html)

BobL 09-25-05 07:12 PM

Back Riding After Arthroscopic Knee Surgery

Just a small gloat. I got back on the bike for an easy 13 mile ride yesterday. That's 9 days post surgery. No big deal - no pain, no uncomfortable feelings, just the insecurity of not being sure I could do it. Did it again today.

Four days after surgery, at my first visit to the physical therapist, he took a look at my incisions, looked at my range of motion, then said, "alright, let's do 10 minutes on the bike". Every visit since then, I did 15 minutes on the exercise bike. So if I can do time on an exercise bike that soon after surgery, this is just like the therapy I'm paying for. Biking is about the best thing you can do for yourself.

As I say, just a small gloat....

BobL

Dchiefransom 09-25-05 07:54 PM

That's great. They think I have a torn meniscus, and I'm hoping it can be fixed so I can ride and work.

cheeseflavor 09-25-05 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by BobL
Four days after surgery, at my first visit to the physical therapist, he took a look at my incisions, looked at my range of motion, then said, "alright, let's do 10 minutes on the bike". Every visit since then, I did 15 minutes on the exercise bike. So if I can do time on an exercise bike that soon after surgery, this is just like the therapy I'm paying for. Biking is about the best thing you can do for yourself. BobL

Amen to that, Bob. Congrats on your successful surgery!

Steve

BobL 09-26-05 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
That's great. They think I have a torn meniscus, and I'm hoping it can be fixed so I can ride and work.

That was my initial diagnosis, but then the MRI didn't confirm it. Turned out to be a flap of cartilage broken off the back of my patella, about 15mm on a side.

I guess the "Your Mileage May Vary" stuff applies here, but the surgeon told me to discontinue therapy and start riding as much as I fee like, still well short of 2 weeks after surgery.

Woohoo!

BobL

frannie 09-27-05 08:30 AM

Hi Bob and congratulations!
I totally agree that biking is one of the best things you can do for yourself. I am back to biking after having hip surgery and it's a great feeling. At PT I was riding a recumbent exercise bike starting at 10min. and worked myself up to 30 minutes. My doctor was impressed and told me to continue riding to get the muscles in my hip and knee back into shape. I took him on his word when I left therapy and bought myself a new recumbent trike. Haven't been home much since. LOL

BobL 09-27-05 08:08 PM

Cool!

Was that a hip replacement? Come to think of it, that's the only hip surgery I can think of. My wife was back on the road about 12 weeks after hip replacement, but it was the kind of hip that isn't cemented in place so you really can't even put weight on it for about 6 weeks. The conversation went like this:

Doctor (at 12 weeks check up), "Have you been riding?"

Wife, "You told me not to".

Doc, "And you listened to me?"

BobL

steel_knee 09-27-05 08:10 PM

I* had full knee replacement and at three weeks was riding, Now I am 67, 10 years later and still ride 15 to 20 miles a day.

frannie 09-29-05 09:05 AM

Bob,
I ALSO had the kind of hip replacement that isn't cemented in place and had to stay off of my feet for a period of time. The day they put me on that exercise bike was the happiest day of my life! I haven't had this much fun on a bike since I was a kid. I'm 50 going on 5! LOL

BobL 09-29-05 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by steel_knee
I* had full knee replacement and at three weeks was riding, Now I am 67, 10 years later and still ride 15 to 20 miles a day.

I am in awe of you.

I also hope I never need that. The surgeon said the rest of my knee cartilage looked like a 25 year old, but the kneecap looked like I was 65. He credits the cycling for keeping the rest healthy. To be honest, 15 years ago an orthopedic guy told me not to run because my kneecaps were going. I just kept going back to running - at least on occasion. I like to run. I guess it's probably time to heed that advice and stick to my bike.

BobL