Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

4000 miles - a real possibility!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-05, 10:25 PM
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Linda tells me that we've officially logged over 3600 miles this year at this point!

I *think* we can make another 400 easy... I figure we've got this weekend, and probably all of October at least. Heck, if the winter is like last year, we can ride well into November. If THAT happens, we could make another 1000mi at least.

Last night (Wednesday), we had what was the coldest ride of the fall so far. A night ride, it was 48 and breezy (20-22mph winds from the north), and it was an eye-opener. I just am not acclimated to those temperatures yet.

This weekend looks to be gorgeous, with highs in the 70s all three days. Should be able to make a good dent in that 400 this weekend

Take care!

Steve
Old 09-30-05, 02:33 AM

Bikes: Lemond Buenos Aries, Gary Fisher Tassajara, Trek 4500, plus many more

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Steve,

That's one of the reasons I moved south is for the year around riding. Around here I manage to get the same mileage in even in December and January - I try for 700 miles a month but normally end up a little under with an average of 7800 miles a year. I plan on being up in your area starting this weekend. I am going to ride the Munger Trail starting at the Duluth end, and the Gandy Dancer over in WI.

I need a bigger vehicle for vacations. I can only bring three bikes and it sort of puts a limit on my riding.

Jeff
Old 09-30-05, 10:51 AM
"Old & Slow Rider"

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Monterey Comfort/Hybrids

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cheeseflavor
Linda tells me that we've officially logged over 3600 miles this year at this point!

I *think* we can make another 400 easy... I figure we've got this weekend, and probably all of October at least. Heck, if the winter is like last year, we can ride well into November. If THAT happens, we could make another 1000mi at least.

Last night (Wednesday), we had what was the coldest ride of the fall so far. A night ride, it was 48 and breezy (20-22mph winds from the north), and it was an eye-opener. I just am not acclimated to those temperatures yet.

This weekend looks to be gorgeous, with highs in the 70s all three days. Should be able to make a good dent in that 400 this weekend

Take care!

Steve

WOW, and I was patting myself on the back for having 1000+ miles on the bike since Fathers Day 2005, when I bought myself a present of a bicycle computer! I really wasn't keeping track but when it showed up as 900, then I just had to make it go past 1000, LOL. Don't think there's enough of the season left to try and catch up Enjoy!!
Old 09-30-05, 12:12 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Take care!

Steve
Riding in cool weather is not a problem unless it gets somewhere near freezing. Just put on an extra layer, and within 5 minutes you will be unzipping to get a bit more cool air around the torso. Similarly in rain, a good quality waterproff WILL keep out the dampness, but once again, Even with the top quality rainproofs like goretex, you will be getting warm. Now windy conditions are different. I have a very lightweight overtop that is made of PERTEX. This is completely windproof and is ideal for those rides where you know that when you get on top of the hills, it is going to be windy- and hence cool you down.

I must admit that the best riding is done on a brilliant summers day, with possibly a bit of cloud cover to ease the sunburn, but I will ride anywhere, any day, in any weather. The only exception is when wind and rain get together, and I can remember one century ride of a few years ago when the torrential rain, coupled with force 9 gales left me with hypothermia after 5 hours of misery. On days like this , it is time to have another trip to the gym.
Old 09-30-05, 12:19 PM

Bikes: Schwin Highplains (only the frame & fork are original)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations! Like a previous poster I'm going to break 1000 for the first time. My riding partner has 3200, and counting. We have a few riding weeks left in the Chicago area. Maybe I can get to 1500. Again, congrats!
Pkgman
Old 09-30-05, 01:12 PM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
congrats cheeseflavor and co. Oddly enough I need 400 more miles to hit my target. Of course its only 2000 miles. I figure I have until the end of the year which is good beacause my other goal is to ride in every month of the year. I figure that anything over 2000 is a bonus and will probably make for even better riding as I won't be so goal oriented. (sometimes a necessary evil)
Old 09-30-05, 01:30 PM
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=stapfam]I must admit that the best riding is done on a brilliant summers day, with possibly a bit of cloud cover to ease the sunburn, but I will ride anywhere, any day, in any weather.[QUOTE]

I agree. It's funny, but before Linda and I started biking last year, neither of us like hot weather. Anything over 80 degrees meant hanging out indoors with the AC. Since we started biking however, we both love the heat. We've never missed a ride because of it, we just take the obvious precautions. For cold riding, layers help, but the bulk is an issue and there's always something exposed anyway.

But still, a ride is a ride, and we'll take 'em whenever we can!

Take care,

Steve
Old 09-30-05, 01:33 PM
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BJ Ondo
WOW, and I was patting myself on the back for having 1000+ miles on the bike since Fathers Day 2005, when I bought myself a present of a bicycle computer! I really wasn't keeping track but when it showed up as 900, then I just had to make it go past 1000, LOL. Don't think there's enough of the season left to try and catch up Enjoy!!
We've been lucky enough to be able to devote the time to it. Last year, we did just over 2,000 (our first year of biking) in 7 months. We wanted to do 4500 this year, and we may make that if the weather cooperates. Next year, we'd like to take some longer trips (maybe some overnighters) and see what we can do.

They all add up to fun!

Take care,

Steve
Old 09-30-05, 01:35 PM
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pkgman
Congratulations! Like a previous poster I'm going to break 1000 for the first time. My riding partner has 3200, and counting. We have a few riding weeks left in the Chicago area. Maybe I can get to 1500. Again, congrats!
Pkgman
If we can just have a mild winter like the last couple.... Must be even just a bit better in Chicago, isn't it?

Steve
Old 09-30-05, 01:40 PM
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rck
congrats cheeseflavor and co. Oddly enough I need 400 more miles to hit my target. Of course its only 2000 miles. I figure I have until the end of the year which is good beacause my other goal is to ride in every month of the year. I figure that anything over 2000 is a bonus and will probably make for even better riding as I won't be so goal oriented. (sometimes a necessary evil)
Thanks! We were lucky enough last year to bike in every month. Of course, it wasn't everyday, but if the temps were above 35f (our agreed upon lower limit) and the trails were clear enough, we were out there. This year, we do all roads primarily, so that may increase our riding opportunities by a few days.

Goals are funny. On the one hand, you need them to improve, but on the other hand, they have the potential to take something fun and turn it into a chore. Last year, Linda had a speedo on her bike and I did not. She would tell me what our average was, and I'd tell her "I don't ride for averages, I ride for fun". This year I have one, and of course, that changed all that

Take care,

Steve
Old 09-30-05, 01:51 PM
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jabike
That's one of the reasons I moved south is for the year around riding. Around here I manage to get the same mileage in even in December and January - I try for 700 miles a month but normally end up a little under with an average of 7800 miles a year. I plan on being up in your area starting this weekend. I am going to ride the Munger Trail starting at the Duluth end, and the Gandy Dancer over in WI.

I need a bigger vehicle for vacations. I can only bring three bikes and it sort of puts a limit on my riding.

Jeff
Every once in a while, Linda or I will mention that a warmer clime would be nice. But, I just don't know that I could ever leave Minnesota. MAYBE a job opportunity were to come along, but...

I'd be interested to hear your observations on the Munger trail. Never been to that one, but I can tell you that area is nice. There was a hard frost in central MN over the weekend, and as such fall colors are at peak in some areas. Near Duluth a bit less, but it should still be spectacular.

Wow... 7800 miles. That's great! We've been averaging around 125 per week (we didn't ride in Jan. at all), but as our average ride length increases (we've gone from 17mi at the beginning of the year to 25-30 now) I can see where our miles for next year should be a lot better than this year's.

Take care!

Steve
Old 09-30-05, 01:52 PM
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jabike
I plan on being up in your area starting this weekend. I am going to ride the Munger Trail starting at the Duluth end, and the Gandy Dancer over in WI.
I forgot to wish you a good time on your trip! Have fun, and bike safe!

Steve
Old 09-30-05, 04:42 PM
Stv

Bikes: 05 Specialized"Roubaix" Campy 10spd.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations ! ......... in advance. Thirty-six-hundred miles is worthy of celebration, let alone 4,000 !

I have 3,125 miles or 5000 kms. and I have a vague idea of what it took to accomplish that kinda mileage.

How did the mechanicals on your bikes fair ?
Old 09-30-05, 05:28 PM

Bikes: Schwin Highplains (only the frame & fork are original)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Cheeseflavor....we've had mild winters in Chicago for some time now...I kind of miss the old fashion, miserable kinds....I don't mind riding in the cold....I'm good to about 35F....a few years ago my riding partner and I would do snow rides on knobie tires...you didn't go far but got one heck of a workout...the x-country skiers would look at us kinda funny....however....like some of the other post above, I've learned I really like riding in the heat...we had some hot days this summer where I had my best rides....I'm really surprised by that...
Old 09-30-05, 11:34 PM
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stv
Congratulations ! ......... in advance. Thirty-six-hundred miles is worthy of celebration, let alone 4,000 !

I have 3,125 miles or 5000 kms. and I have a vague idea of what it took to accomplish that kinda mileage.

How did the mechanicals on your bikes fair ?
Thanks Stv! Other than an occasional flat, and couple of tires needing replacement (chip-sealed roads be damned), we haven't had any mechanincal problems. Oh, and I replace the chains at 1,000 miles. I keep the bikes cleaned and maintained for the most part, and inspect when I clean. No horror stories to tell. We've really been blessed in that regard.

How much longer do you think you can go this year yet?

Steve
Old 10-01-05, 07:49 AM
Stv

Bikes: 05 Specialized"Roubaix" Campy 10spd.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Stv!
How much longer do you think you can go this year yet?
Steve
That is a very good question !!!

I've purchased shoe and leg covers to extend my ride season. My goal is/was to hit 7,100 to 7,400 kms. which is the equivalent of a coast to coast ride across Canuck. I'm just not much of a motivated cold weather rider apparently. I may have to complete my goal on the indoor trainer................does that count ?

Hopefully ride till December 1st. or as close to it as possible. If SNOW ...no GO !

My ride-bud had me out in February, brutal it was, but I'm grateful he got me off to an early season start.

Last edited by Stv; 10-01-05 at 07:55 AM.
Old 10-01-05, 09:48 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Stv
That is a very good question !!!

I've purchased shoe and leg covers to extend my ride season. My goal is/was to hit 7,100 to 7,400 kms. which is the equivalent of a coast to coast ride across Canuck. I'm just not much of a motivated cold weather rider apparently. I may have to complete my goal on the indoor trainer................does that count ?

Hopefully ride till December 1st. or as close to it as possible. If SNOW ...no GO !

My ride-bud had me out in February, brutal it was, but I'm grateful he got me off to an early season start.
No extreme weather in the South of England, but winter riding does take a bit of prodding from the wife to do. That's why I belong to a gym. However- January 1st is one of our Yearly rides. We normally start at 11 am, but by then there is only 5 hours of light left so it will not be an extended ride. I cannot remember snow on any of these rides, but Getting soaked on cold days, Breaking Ice on the puddles and one memorable year, Getting verbally abused by walkers because we were not riding on the path, but 10 feet off of it. The path had sheet ice for a depth of 2" in places, and for some reason, we could not get much grip. Apparantly we were widening the Path and hence destructing the country side. As we pointed out, If people had not ruined the path with their hobnail boots, it would not have been ruined so that it was dangerous to use.
Old 10-01-05, 03:18 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by BJ Ondo
Don't think there's enough of the season left to try and catch up Enjoy!!
I was lucky (or stupid??) and managed to bicycle every single week last year!

Congrats to Cheeseflavor! That is a great accomplishment.

Hopefully, even with my heart repair, I will join you in the 4,000 mile crew.
Old 10-01-05, 09:27 PM
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Hopefully, even with my heart repair, I will join you in the 4,000 mile crew.
I hope you do. Any many, many years to come.

Made a good dent in that remaining 400 today. Linda and I rode my age a bit more. Just over 53 miles. Maybe tomorrow we can get 37 and call it a century with a long break

Take care,

Steve
Old 10-01-05, 09:40 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I hope you do. Any many, many years to come.

Made a good dent in that remaining 400 today. Linda and I rode my age a bit more. Just over 53 miles. Maybe tomorrow we can get 37 and call it a century with a long break

Take care,

Steve
Wouldn't that be 47?
Old 10-01-05, 11:37 PM
What's the speed of dark?

Bikes: Madone 5.9 SL with Brooks Team Pro Saddle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Wouldn't that be 47?