Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Milestones and fall transitions

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-05, 12:05 PM

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I hit one of my major goals a couple of weeks ago, 1000 miles. It's the first time ever I have ridden anything close to that in the course of a year. I think my previous high might have been about 400. I believe it was the third week of Sept., but I found it to be somehow anticlimactic. I guess I didn't expect to hit it on a nondescript ride in the middle of the week. I got a bigger kick out of passing my first cyclist later the same week. I was on my morning darkness ride and saw another blinky turn onto the road I was on some long ways ahead of me. In about 1 1/2 miles I caught up to him, slowed to say good morning and ask how he was doing, (all done up in his full kit on a super racer) and then picked back up to my own speed and left him behind. What a nice feeling! I am no longer the slowest person in the world on a bike.
For that matter I would have ridden further with him, but I was on a really fast ride and wanted to see if it would be a new personal best for me. It was a new personal high of 16.8 avg. mph over my 10 1/2 mile excersize ride. So another small milestone.
Then I had a week business trip, then a nasty head cold last weekend and now heavy rain predicted for this entire weekend. I feel already as though I am getting out of shape. Fall is a busy season for my work and so I am looking for some pointers to slow my riding schedule somewhat while not losing it.
My own thought is to try to keep up a ride every other day, knowing that there will be a couple of weeks where I will be travelling and also the usual winter ice storms etc. and so it will become something less than every other day. I worked really hard this year to get in shape and I will hate to lose it.

My question to all of you long term in shape types is; How frequently to some of you ride during the winter to keep a semblance of fitness? By the way its gotta be on the bike, I hate and get bored to death in gyms!
Old 10-07-05, 12:45 PM

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 39 Posts
I'm working on one of my goals for the year, trying to achieve the 3000 mile marker. I rode 1200 the first year I had my bike, this is the 2nd year. My other goal for this year was to ride a Century. I've done two.

As to staying in shape, here in Socal our weather allows for mostly year round riding. Additionally, I do mile swims at the gym once a week. I squeeze in some of my rides during lunch hour. I have a 13 mile and a 16 mile circuit that I alternate. I do have shower facilities so that helps!

Sheldon
Old 10-07-05, 01:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There will be days up here in Northern California when I can ride through the Fall/Winter months, but it just can't be as frequent as it has been the past few.

My wife and I are going out today or tomorrow to check out the Lamond spin bike as an alternative. We have a Lifecycle, but I get bored like crazy on that thing...even at the 24 minute workout.
Old 10-07-05, 01:29 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by p8rider
My question to all of you long term in shape types is; How frequently to some of you ride during the winter to keep a semblance of fitness? By the way its gotta be on the bike, I hate and get bored to death in gyms!
I only really get the chance to ride on Sundays, but it is every Sunday and I am out on the bike up on the Hills wondering "Do I have to do this". Ok A little bit of snow doesn't stop me but I do Live in Sunny Sussex by-the-Sea where we no longer get the extreme cold weather I can remember from my youth. I do need more than one time out a week to retain and improve my fitness though so I try to get to the Gym at least twice a week in the winter. Or I used to as The Tandem is now going out on midweek night rides. Two trips out on the bike of around 3 to 4 hours each time should be enough for me to overwinter and keep fit. If not, I'll let you know when I can't make that hill in the spring.
Old 10-07-05, 01:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stapfam,
I had read your tandem in the dark thread recently. I don't know if it will keep you fit, but the scare factor should at least get your heart rate up. I will be able to ride for most of the winter as our ice and snow storms tend to last 2-4 days and then all is melted. I am looking around for some sort of tight headgear to wear beneath my helmet to keep my head warm. I there such a specialty item for wear beneath a helmet? My ears get really cold.
Old 10-07-05, 01:56 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Stapfam,
I am looking around for some sort of tight headgear to wear beneath my helmet to keep my head warm. I there such a specialty item for wear beneath a helmet? My ears get really cold.
Yes.

I have one, it is some sort of a black special material and fits as if a skull cap. It is a bit longer on the sides to also protect your ears.

I can't find one on the web right now, though. It is quite warm - quite!

Also, do a google under "headsweats" which are fine for light cold weather, or balaclava for heavy duty cold. I use my headsweat summer and winter.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-07-05 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-07-05, 02:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the tip DnvrFox. Tri sports.com shows some designed to wear beneath helmets. I often can't think of the correct word or phrase to google and so wind up in all sorts of usual sights.
Old 10-07-05, 02:15 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Stapfam,
I had read your tandem in the dark thread recently. I don't know if it will keep you fit, but the scare factor should at least get your heart rate up. I will be able to ride for most of the winter as our ice and snow storms tend to last 2-4 days and then all is melted. I am looking around for some sort of tight headgear to wear beneath my helmet to keep my head warm. I there such a specialty item for wear beneath a helmet? My ears get really cold.
I find that It is only my ears that get cold. and that is only when the temperature gets near freezing. I use a head band that just covers the ears and I see them all the time in the bike shops in the UK. I did try a skull type cap to fit under the helmet, but got fed up with adjusting the helmet when I wore it and then took it off halfway through the ride.

Only problem with the ear cap is do the goggles go over the band, or under it? Whichever way- the goggles don't fit right.

On the scare factor on the Tandem- I am the stoker ( the one on the back) so only get scared when the Tandem comes to a stop as I can't see what my feet are landing in. (plenty of cattle and sheep up on them Hills) I must admit that I do get a bit worried if the pilot takes it steady on the downhills, as if he is worried then I should be too.
Old 10-07-05, 02:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I may try the full skullcap first. If it bothers me then I might try the headband. I am concerned a little about the top edge of a headband impeding the helmet, or the seamed edge of the band being too tight on my ears with the helmet on. Then of course there are the glasses without which I could see the road, but cars could be a challange!
Old 10-07-05, 02:37 PM
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When it gets cold I wear a bavaclava, i.e. like a ski mask with eye and nose holes. [REI seirus] Right now it is too warm and thinking of getting a silk or very light one. It has to be about 27 before I start wearing it because it's made out of fleece. No problem with visibility or helmet fitting.

Even though season is getting busier, I would advise not to drop as low as 4 rides a month. It takes way too long to recover. I don't see much difference between riding 4 or 5 days a week. But dropping to 2 or 3 days a month means losing abilities. It just takes too long to rebuild strength and endurance.
Old 10-07-05, 02:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I won't drop to four rides a month. I expect I will get in 2-3 per week on average. Some weeks more.
Old 10-07-05, 04:24 PM
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Except for Valley fog, in which I don't like to ride for safety reasons, our central CA weather is mostly OK for year round riding. What stops me on weekdays is daylight savings time. By the time I get home at 5 or so, daylight is an issue (or non-issue?). Night riding regularly and at workout pace I don't relish. So.............I head for the garage and the wind-trainer. Good for interval-like training, but after about an hour my mind is climbing the walls-- even if I turn on my ancient garage tv. I generally lose some fitness during winter, but head back outside in March and do it all again until I lose light the following year.

I admire all you hearty (really) cold weather year round cyclists.
Old 10-07-05, 04:54 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
.............I head for the garage and the wind-trainer. Good for interval-like training, but after about an hour my mind is climbing the walls-- even if I turn on my ancient garage tv.
Get yourself some Spinerval videos or Carmichael Training Videos and play them on your DVD or VCR. You will get a much better and more comprehensive workout. And the time will go much more quickly.

I guarantee it.
Old 10-08-05, 05:47 AM
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GrannyGear
Except for Valley fog, in which I don't like to ride for safety reasons, our central CA weather is mostly OK for year round riding. What stops me on weekdays is daylight savings time. By the time I get home at 5 or so, daylight is an issue Night riding regularly and at workout pace I don't relish.
Agreed, you never want to ride in the valley fog. Too many idiots drive 70 when they can only see far enough ahead to drive 25.

Heck, you might as well join a health club in the winter. You're missing the best part. Get some good lights: L&M headlight, cateye tl-ld1000, a couple side clearance marker light, a reflective windbreaker and get out there.With a good setup, drivers will give you more room and you'll have fun staying in shape. A friend in Rocklin got L&M lights for christmas last year and just loves the night riding.

I couldn't do the trainer route. Even with a TV. Gear up and go for it.
Old 10-08-05, 06:36 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
My question to all of you long term in shape types is; How frequently to some of you ride during the winter to keep a semblance of fitness? By the way its gotta be on the bike, I hate and get bored to death in gyms![/QUOTE]

p8-We probably live not too far from each other. I might have even been the guy you passed!!

Regardless, I've found I don't mind riding all year around here. You just have to accept that with the cooler air and heavier clothing you're not going to be as fast. The stuff I've bought for winter riding is a skull cap, good cycling undershirt to pull moisture off the body, heavier riding jersey, wind vest, either knee warmers, knickers or tights (depending on the temps), full fingered gloves and riding booties. Once you get the blood going you can have some really nice rides on 30+ degree days. The tough days are when it's raining and cold-I have not found a way to keep the feet dry with the shoes I have. Water comes in through the vents in the soles. I actually even used the neoprene "socks" over my feet but too much sweating going on there. The nice thing is that your water bottle stays really nice and cold!!

We have a commercial park that is lit and has 1-2 mile loops that we can ride in on Tuesday and Thursday nights. I then try to do a long ride on either a Saturday or Sunday.

I seem to do better just getting out and riding than trying to do the trainer.......but that is just me.

Agree that the weather isn't very good this weekend. I had plans for a ride today and tomorrow. Hopefully we'll just have clouds tomorrow instead of this Tammy thing. The rain has been sorely need though.

Congrats on the 1000 miles!! That is terrific!!