Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

goal not met

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

goal not met

Old 12-14-05, 09:16 PM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
goal not met

Darn! It looks as if I'm going to miss out on one of the two goals I set for the year. Made the mileage goal with room to spare, however, wanted to ride outdoors every month of the year. So Dec. 1 comes around and the weather goes south! Snow, snow, snow, making for slushy roads. I know I'm a wuss but do not wish to take my bike out in that stuff. This is the most precipitation we've had in Dec. in a number of years-go figure. I'll have to hope for a Dec. thaw but not looking good. Sigh! Teaching me not to be goal oriented.
Old 12-14-05, 09:48 PM

Bikes: Croll 531c/Campagnolo and Schwinn City Bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's been tough here too. We haven't gone above freezing since the snow storm hit last week. We hit below -0 F. last night for a new december record. It's been quite a beginning to winter. Come to think of it, winter hasn't even arrived yet on the calendar.
Old 12-15-05, 04:15 AM
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 957 Posts
I'm impressed if you hit 11 out of 12! I rode once outdoor in February--- but had to travel to Georgia to do so. Then I had to wait until May before warmth reappeared and mud disappeared. My goal in 2006 is to ride at least a few times in April even if I have to car rack my bike to the southern end of the state. Forget Dec thru March--- too much snow, ice, wind, salt and sand. Foolish I am not. Good luck in 2006!
Old 12-15-05, 06:38 AM

Bikes: too many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The next time ,if you are in Atlanta, GA give me a call and we can go burn up some KCalories. Covered around 100 miles so far this month in GA and FL. Back in Ga yesterday I had to clean up the leaves in the yard, today it is freezing rain...argh hate that stuff but the weekend looks good.
Old 12-15-05, 10:17 AM

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While the weather can be really brutal up here in Wyoming in the winter, we alsmost always get one or two days a month that are nice enough to ride outdoors. For last two years I have been able to ride outdoors at least one day every month. But, when its MINUS 29 F (not including wind chill) like it was last week, I stick to the indoors trainer. Looks like I wll beat my goal of 5000 miles this year!
Old 12-15-05, 12:16 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
-29 means get the snow tyres out. I actually saw some studded tyres on the Mountain bike forum so no excuse not to get out.

Luckily in the south of England we rarely get that cold. The coldest I can remembrrrrrrr was in 86 when it got as low as -19. I remember it well because I was out in the garden well wrapped up and my 4 year old daughter came out to see what I was doing, dressed in a pair of wellie boots and nothing else. At least she had the sense to keep the feet dry.

Spike Milligan
Old 12-18-05, 05:17 AM
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 957 Posts
Originally Posted by ccdisce
The next time ,if you are in Atlanta, GA give me a call and we can go burn up some KCalories. Covered around 100 miles so far this month in GA and FL. Back in Ga yesterday I had to clean up the leaves in the yard, today it is freezing rain...argh hate that stuff but the weekend looks good.
I'll try to look you up. My 100 miles have all been to no where on the trainer in the attic. My brother inlaw lives in Fayetteville and is an active cyclisit. We usually go for a ride out in the country. Nice and flat (and warm) compared to NH! I lived in Conyers until '01.