Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Roubaix bike.....An Old Guy's Ride ???

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-05, 11:22 PM
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Next spring I hope to have the $$ to buy a new bike. WooHoo!! Down looking at a Roubaix....a popular bike. Twerpy clerk in a GreenDay teeshirt and fresh road rash remarked, "Yeah, a lot of older guys ride this bike." This immediately made me more accepting of an otherwise drab looking black bike. Didn't much care for the looks of the compact top tube--seemed awfully untraditional for an old guy's ride.

Question: Any experience out there with this bike? Their only model that was assembled was 2 sizes too big so no test ride. Cheeseflavor, I see you ride one. Currently I ride a mid 80's Allez turn on a thought criterium bike and a Romulus. One is a racy boneshaker and the other an almost too well mannered sport tourer. I'm looking for something a little bit quick with some comfort, too. Besides, after all these years, its time to give STI a try. Realizing racy and comfort are relative terms, still I respect the sensibleness at this forum. Opinions on this or other road bikes? Don't care for aluminum, can't afford titanium, and I realize fall sales are on now, but the money is some months off. Thanks.

**Denvr, there are no Lemond dealers nearby but, even though I have a short torso and they have longish toptubes, I do plan on test riding a carbon/steel Lemond.
Old 10-18-05, 09:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I test rode the Roubaix, it felt very nice and not at all staid (though I ended up with a different bike). The salesguy at the LBS assured me some of the Specialized team were riding Roubaix on the cobblestones at Paris-Roubaix (hmm, think that has something to do with the name ? ), so I would think if it is an old guy's bike, it's a fast old guy's bike .

Dagna

Last edited by dagna; 10-23-05 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-18-05, 11:19 AM
Hills!

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I happened to stop by my LBS last night to see what STI shifters were all about. My recent interest in road bikes led me to take a look at the Trek 1000, 2000 and Pilot series while I was there. To the best of my understanding, the Trek Pilot and the Specialized Roubaix are geared toward the same (older) audience.

Hopefully the research time needed will give me time to formulate a strategy to get this past the budget committee! But doing this on the heels of my recent purchase of a hybrid will be a challenging task.

(just looking and thinking... for now)
Old 10-18-05, 11:28 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Another way of looking at it- If a bike is marketed at the older generation --WHY? Perhaps it is a bit more relaxed on riding position, perhaps it is more comfortable ride, perhaps the bike has no vices. I prefer to think that a bike like this has all the right bits on it to make the bike work as it should do. To make a bike that is this good, for even a very small part of the market (Even if it is for the mature rider) must mean that someone has been listening to what this group want, it will be a viable seller to other groups in the market place, and it must be a good bike.
Old 10-18-05, 11:29 AM
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love mine. Have about 3000 miles on my 05. I did change the Alex wheels out for Mavic Open Pro w/Ultegra. Great bike. Oh yeah - I'm 54. My kids haven't commented on it being an "Old Guys Bike" yet. They are rather vocal about those sorts of things.
Old 10-18-05, 01:16 PM
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stv
Why you ask ?

"Demographic Market Segmentation"

Translation : Cause we're the (old) guys with the money !

LOL

Money?? Unless you're divorced with two kids in college. But then, it keeps me identifying with all those young guys pinching their nickles. Seriously, thanks for all the above comments. I need to do lots of test riding...the Roubaix is highly thought of by lots of people regardless of age it seems. More comments?....reading these things gets addictive!
Old 10-18-05, 02:44 PM
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One thing which sticks with me from the day I purchased mine was a statement the LBS mech/manager made. "Now you have a bike where upgrades will make sense and be entirely worth it." He was right. He should have also warned me that the bike would insist on a "treat" with every visit I made to the LBS, whether or not the bike was actually with me. I open my garage door and my bike says, "What'd ya bring me? What'd ya bring me?"
Old 10-18-05, 03:12 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
My mountain bike says ride me.

Coming back to the upgrades- A bike that has a decent frame, and rides well will always get upgrades as parts wear out. My daughters bike that is not that bright gets old my old parts so I suppose it is a continual upgrade on that bike too. Gives me an excuse to upgrade my bike as my daughters/ wifes bike does require a better part fitted on a regular basis.
Old 10-18-05, 03:20 PM
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GrannyGear
Next spring I hope to have the $$ to buy a new bike. WooHoo!! Down looking at a Roubaix....a popular bike. Twerpy clerk in a GreenDay teeshirt and fresh road rash remarked, "Yeah, a lot of older guys ride this bike." This immediately made me more accepting of an otherwise drab looking black bike. Didn't much care for the looks of the compact top tube--seemed awfully untraditional for an old guy's ride.

Question: Any experience out there with this bike? Their only model that was assembled was 2 sizes too big so no test ride. Cheeseflavor, I see you ride one. Currently I ride a mid 80's Allez turn on a thought criterium bike and a Romulus. One is a racy boneshaker and the other an almost too well mannered sport tourer. I'm looking for something a little bit quick with some comfort, too. Besides, after all these years, its time to give STI a try. Realizing racy and comfort are relative terms, still I respect the sensibleness at this forum. Opinions on this or other road bikes? Don't care for aluminum, can't afford titanium, and I realize fall sales are on now, but the money is some months off.
Peter Wrolich from Team Gerolstiener rides one. Granted, his is an S-Works Roubaix, but the geometry is the same....

Anway, I am very, very happy with mine. I've put over 2600 miles on it without any, and I mean any, problems. Never had to even bring it to the LBS for a tuneup. It's relatively lightweight, at around 18.5 pounds in my size. Built very well and quality is top notch on everything on the bike as far as I can see. Everything has a very quality feel to it. It's a very "quiet" bike too. Don't know about you, but I appreciate hearing only the sound of tires swishing over the pavement as I cruise along.

I got the Comp triple and all components are Duraace or Ultegra (front deraileur is Ultegra). The wheels are Mavic Xsyrium Equipe which are light and strong. They are as true today as they were when I purchased the bike, and we've taken some pretty rough roads with it.

The sizing is a bit strange though. I'm 6'4" and prior to the Roubaix, I had a Specialized Sequioa, which was a size 61. A Roubaix in the same size was very large to me, and the one I have is a 58, so they tend to run on the large size.

The ride quality is what you'd expect from a carbon bike. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Take care,

Steve
Old 10-18-05, 03:46 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two questions: How is the name of the bike pronounced, and has anyone compared it with, say, the Trek Pilot (almost said Honda Pilot! lol)?

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 10-18-05, 04:04 PM
Out of Commission

Bikes: Felt FC, S-Works Roubaix, Epic Comp, Cyfac Proxidium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Two questions: How is the name of the bike pronounced, and has anyone compared it with, say, the Trek Pilot (almost said Honda Pilot! lol)?
Roo-Bay
Never compared it to the pilot first hand, but have heard through the grapevine that the Roubaix feels a lot better. I have over 5,000 miles on my Roubaix Pro and love it. Like the above post, I haven't had a single problem with it. I wouldn't consider this an "old guy" bike. I would consider it a bike for people who don't want sore backs and necks from riding around all day with their bars 4-6 inches lower than their saddle. I've used my Roubaix for Time Trials, Crits, Road Races, Double Centuries and everything inbetween and I've never felt that it held me back (except in TT's, but I don't want a dedicated TT bike).
Old 10-18-05, 05:19 PM

Bikes: Gary Fisher Zebrano

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an '04 Roubaix - 62 cm (XXL) frame. I'm 52, 6'6", 245 Lbs. This is my first road bike, so I can't comment on other models. I've had it since last May have 1000 + miles on it so far. The bike fits me well, and provides a very comfortable ride. I ride with a group from my LBS. They ride Tarmacs. They all said that they thought that the Roubaix is a very good bike.
Old 10-18-05, 08:08 PM

Bikes: Specialize Roubaix Comp Triple, Motobecane Grand Sprint, Trek 7000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought an 05 Roubaix Comp Triple this summer & like the others I couldn't be happier. The ride is nothing short of amazing as I'm riding beat up back roads daily & the bike does an incredible job of smoothing them out. I happen to love the way it looks in black & am very glad I didn't wait for an 06 as the silver doesn't do it for me. The 06 Expert seems to give you the same level of equipment as the 05 Comp except for the D-A rear deraileur but I guess they figure the extra cog makes up for that. I see the chainrings are 52/39/30 for 06 whereas my Comp has a 52/42/30 which seems to be less common on a triple.
Old 10-19-05, 07:18 PM
JPW

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought a 05 Comp Triple. I also road tested a Trel Pilot 5.2 Liked the black color and the ride of the Roubaix more. Have not felt any flex in frame. The 06 Expert is similar but has a stiffer frame. Old bike was a Trek 2300 3years old with crummy decals and paint. Guess I am an older rider at 65 but I usually can keep up. Good Luck John
Old 10-19-05, 07:20 PM
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JPW
I just bought a 05 Comp Triple. I also road tested a Trel Pilot 5.2 Liked the black color and the ride of the Roubaix more. Have not felt any flex in frame. The 06 Expert is similar but has a stiffer frame. Old bike was a Trek 2300 3years old with crummy decals and paint. Guess I am an older rider at 65 but I usually can keep up. Good Luck John
Congratulations on the new bike! You will love it. Mine just turned over 2700 miles tonight (2702 to be exact), and it has been one solid bike. Not a lick of trouble with it.

Take care,

Steve
Old 10-19-05, 10:55 PM
Ancient Clydesdale

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was told by people at Rivercity Cycles in Portland (OR) that the Roubaix is an extremely popular bike and they sell more of them than any shop in the US. The people that buy them love them.

Here's a great article on the Roubaix.. https://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...ed_roubaix_pro

I want one, but will have to wait until the proceeds become available.....
Old 10-20-05, 02:36 AM

Bikes: ROUBAIX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
04Roubaix Elite frameset+MTB gear(Shimano DEORE XT)
+other component(Shimano Ultegra)  tire 26mm

I ride only on road. But for my poor strength in my legs
my bike is best especially when climbing
Old 10-22-05, 08:46 PM
On the road again

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale R6000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know about is being an "old farts" bike, but it is a great bike. My wife surprised me with an 05 triple comp this summer as a gift. It has Durace and Ultegra components, Mavic Xsyrium Equipe wheels and Speedplay pedals. The key was getting it fit correctly as the geometry was a lot differnt from my two older Cannondales. The bike is great on rough roads really absorbing the shock and I find it to be a great climbing bike. The steering is very tight and took a bit to get use to as I had a tendency to over steer it until I got comfortable with it.
Old 10-22-05, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The "reason" they think it's an "Old Farts" bike is because it absorbs road buzz so well. There are a few of them in my club. The articles I've read indicate that Specialized designed it especially for the Paris-Roubaix race, which covers a lot of cobblestone roads. When I was looking at gettting a CF bike, the Roubaix was one I was going to test ride, but Giant came out with the OCR2 C2, with Ultegra 10, so after riding that, I got one.
I see that this year's Roubaix Comp and better models are the new 10 speed. From the members of my club that have "testified" about how nice they are, I'd say a long test ride on a Roubaix would cement your decision.
Old 10-24-05, 05:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's wrong with aluminum? I have a Cannondale R2000 with a CAAD 5 frame and after test riding some of the "plush" carbon fiber jobies there's no comparison - The 'dale is much more comfortable, lively, durable and and lighter. Man, confort is all about wheels, tires, saddles and fit! Frankly, I'm getting sick of the carbon fiber craze - it's all marketing. If you like a wooden, dead ride (the plush jobies) go with the plastic. And be careful not to let it fall over - a little nick on the tubing and that frame is history (unless you want to live dangerously and keep on riding it). BTW, I'm 62 and this old fart rides aluminum and loves it!