Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Smithville Trails

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Smithville Trails

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-05, 09:34 AM
just over the next hill

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took a vacation day and will ride the trails at Smithville lake. I'll post some photos etc.
62 degrees at 9:29 this morning. It is windy with 20 mph and gusts up to 40. Sunny partly cloudy. Leaves are still on a lot of trees.

It is going to be a great day.

Drove up to W & parked east of lake weaved in and out of side trails. Saw one deer was along the trail. It bounded for a short distance then cut into the woods and stopped. The deer stood still and watched me as I watched it. I tried to get a picture, but there were too many small stems between us.

The trail is covered completely by leaves in a few places. The crunch of acorns among the leaves causes me to wonder if I will bet a flat today? After a short while I don't think of it.

Wind sun, whitecaps on the water. The Sunlight glaring off of parts of the water. The light roar of wind in my ears. Waves being blown up on the beech.

The shadow of sea gulls catch my attention as they play in the wind. I am sitting by a park bench on the lake shore.

The trees shield some of the wind. I have been riding since 10:45 and I pasted my first bicycle.! 11:45 I saw 7 bicycles for the day. I saw about 20 hikers.

A crane glides across the top of the water, seagulls are bobbing in the waves. Off in the distance white waves are being kicked up by a speed boat.

Rode down to the camping area.
22 Seagulls are sitting on the swimming beach.

It is interesting to watch a seagull land in this 20mph wind. It shoots in, turns into the wind, spreads its wings shoots up a little into the air the drops to the beech.

With all this wind, leaves are still hanging on the trees. Waiting for rain.

I stopped at the marina and got a map of the bike trails. I notice that the bike trail picks up after Collins Rd crosses the lake. I ride over and picked up the trail continuing south. I went to the next campsite. I rode as far as I needed to go to get 30 miles for the day. I want to come back and ride all the trails. That would be over 40 miles round trip.

I went faster on the way back shifting gears up and down with the hills.

It was a fantastic ride. The wind didn't effect me much because of tree cover. As I rode I prayed for a friend of mine who was to have a stent put in a blood vein. I thank God for health and a wonderful day of riding.

Last edited by cruzMOKS; 11-03-05 at 07:47 PM. Reason: update